my 2011 boston bruins stanley cup champions

i know most of you don't give a shit, but i am posting this to keep my sanity. we did it. we finally did it. yes this is the 6th time the bruins have won the stanley cup, but it is the first time they have won it in my lifetime. 39 years in the making. 17 years for me personally because i'm only 25, and i didn't play hockey from the start, but i remember when i first started watching the bruins and first got into hockey. i was always subjected to baseball and football (and occasionally soccer, but i am a big soccer fan now) and the fact is, hockey is the greatest sport in the history of the world. i was about 7/8 years old and was flipping through the channels on tv (which leads to my next question, where were you mom?!?!) and i came across the replay on nesn (new england sports network) of the bruins game from the night before (probably about 1994 time frame). something just clicked for me and from then on i loved hockey and i loved the bruins. god bless my father, he didn't know what the hell to think. he watched the bruins growing up and still did/does, but never played the game. so it was a lot harder to figure out what to do with your son that has the burning drive to play. but god bless him he signed me up and took me to many early morning practices (hockey parents know exactly what i am talking about) and i can't thank him enough for that. needless to say, where did i watch game 7? not in downtown boston where the god damn band wagoners were congregating and trying to flip cars. i watched game 7 of the stanley cup finals with my dad. i consumed 0.0 beers as well, so i could remember everything that happened specifically, which is a feat for me! point is, i turned down going into the city and celebrating with "band wagoners" and instead watched the game and celebrated with my father. because every season we go to games and always call each other during games that we don't go to. and i wouldn't have it any other way. go b's, and go dad! (/dads)

Last edited:
I didn't have a dog in this fight, and a lot of my west coast friends were pulling fi Vancouver, but I was glad to see the Bruins win it. That's a long time to go without a championship! Congrats on your win! Great series!

I watched at home as well with my wife. I did have a few beers earlier in the afternoon but not enough to create a drunk! By the time the game started, I was sharp and focused and watched every minute of it with the celebration afterward. This is the 2nd of my lifetime with me being all of 7 years old the last time they brought the cup to Beantown. It was a well played series and although Vancouver was the heavily weighted favorites, it turned out the Bruins were just that much hungrier in the end. They were a tenacious team on the ice and Tim Thomas was at the top of his game.

Congrats to the Bruins. Well done. Well deserved!

my dad said that he remembers watching it in a bar out at umass amherst when he was in college, and now years later i get to see them win while i'm in college. i am still in shock. i love the pats, and sox, which have both won multiple championships in the last ten years, and the celtics won too, but the one i wanted the most has eluded me until now. my only fear was that i would shed a tear if they won. but i DID NOT....yet.:thewave: but as my dad says, enjoy it while it lasts, he was there for when all but the celtics were making it and he reminds me how lucky i am to see what i have in my life. anyways, it's a great day, carry on friends and have a great one!

Back