My 1st YAMAHA moto

Hi All, My name is Earl. I live in Maryland, USA..

Yesterday I purchased a 2003 FZ1! :sport12:
I've been riding for years. My bike for the last 8 years was an Aprilia RST1000 Futura.

I'm sure I'll have more to say in the future......

Earl
03 FZ1

Welcome.
It is nice to see the second to the fastest color bike show up here. Silver is about 2 10ths slower than the black but we dont usually bring it up. OOPS!: oops:

Anyhow enjoy your stay. Look around you might even find a thread or two of interest to you.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

BroHay asked:
Give details as to whay prompted you to join the Gen I ranks. Purchase Dealer/Private?

Welcome!

Hi All.
I'm too big and old for a proper sport bike:sport12:. I've always liked the Gen 1 style and concept. I found one nearby at an independent used-bike seller called GRD Cycles. It has relativly low milage with 15 thousand and change on the odo. I could afford to pay cash, with my trade-in(01 Aprilia Futura w/71,000 miles) so no loan($3995. total)!:wow:
It's not Silver but a custom Champange color with no badges or decals.

Thanks again for all the replies and compliments!!!:welcome:

I thought something looked odd about that bike color. I didn't notice badge missing on the front fairing and thought it was just the lighting that made the color look different. Unique color, looks good and I see you have a nice loud can to boot. Congrats!

Those Futura's, I guess it was a love it or hate it thing with them. I don't think they were fully appreciated, a little too ahead of their time mabe, but wow, what a ride, and lots of 'juice'....You'll like the FZ1, I have the Blue 05 myself, and wow, what a rocketship, and good manners too, how can you do better, and its a 'Yamaha" and we all know the quality..... Welcome..

Wait ....Earlzack....I have it from secret goverment sources that a study was recently done where a group of FZ's was tested over as Area 51 and in Dulce. and the findings were unanimous that the 'Blue' FZ and in particular, the 05 was by far the most refined and fastest of the FZ's. It was the only year where they had the 'Atomic foo foo juice injection" and as a little known bit of information the top secret 'speed tires' so..... I hate to let you down like that , but "the truth is out there".

Last edited:
Wait ....Earlzack....I have it from secret goverment sources that a study was recently done where a group of FZ's was tested over as Area 51 and in Dulce. and the findings were unanimous that the 'Blue' FZ and in particular, the 05 was by far the most refined and fastest of the FZ's. It was the only year where they had the 'Atomic foo foo juice injection" and as a little known bit of information the top secret 'speed tires' so..... I hate to let you down like that , but "the truth is out there".

I beg to differ! My 09 Vmax is the exact same color as my 01 FZ 1 was. So even Yamaha said, And I quote " If it aint broke, dont fix it" So If that color can stand the test of time somebody of a higher intelegance knows something.:deal:

Oh And take take any stock in my spelling.lol

Thanks All BUT.....

I had the FZ1 out today doing a shake-down run after adjusting a bunch of stuff ie F brake lever, clutch freeplay, throttle freeplay, mirrors, and I rotated the handlebars reward a inch or so.

I only went 6 miles or so but when I was leaving my local grocery I noticed fluids under my bike. I started it (while on the side-stand), and it started leaking gas from between the two leftmost carbs (as sitting on bike). and not a little gas either!:confused:

I called GRD (where I bought it two days ago), and they will send a truck the 60 miles down here to pick it up. It came with a good 30 day warrantee, but I hate to say goodbye to her allready.

I was reving her pretty good just before leaking started (8500 in 1st). I had no idea I was in 1st until I tried to downshift for aforementioned grocery!:wow:

If you have any knowledge of this afliction please clue me in. I've had a fuel injected machine (Aprilia Futura) for the past 8 years, and have forgot any thing I might have known about carbs. Except I do recall that a stuck float often causes leaking.

Thanks again:cheers:

I guess it could have been a BEE

I'm still learning about the differences and similarities.

I hope it stops leaking too. After reading the posts here on the subject, I can't hardly wait for daylight to start tapping, and checking the drain bolts!:woot:

Earl
03 FZ1

people have already started to pick up on my line of questioning.....have any more background on the bike?

Clear title/Salvage title?

some things to look at...
  • possible that a jet kit installed and did not get put back together correctly?
    *******a quick check to tell is look on the right/left side and if you see a recessed hole there (on the underside), chances are that a kit has been installed.
  • carb boots cracked?
    *******dryrot?
  • fuel filter -- located on the left side under the side cover under the seat
  • petcock open all the way/closed any?
  • fuel lines being smashed any?
  • did you recently fill up? (could be from overflow tubes....)
  • fuel tank free of rust?
    *******tank repaired from damage and leaking?

Probably have some gunk in the floats of the carbs. Seafoam to help/start cleaning out the system if the bike has been sitting for awhile. NAPA or parts store has this and use the manufacturer's recommendation. This is a quick fix (maybe THE fix), but will be a good start as you start to probe deeper into the problem.

May need to look at yanking them and giving them a good cleaning to get things back in order (floats sticking)

Just some things that I'd check if I was trying to trace all options.....good luck

Last edited:
Back