muti problems

05Yam

1: engine chuggeds at take off a little, i up'ed the idol a little, earlier in the season the carbs leaked, the leak went away, its a little hard to start and the wife noticed a fuel leak around the center kick stand when it was flooded.

2: ive only did one oil change on the cycle sence ive had it, ive put on 1300 miles so far, shortly after i did the oil change i noticed it was a little high, so i drained a little out so it was near the top dot on the site glass, week or so later oil light came on. I added a little, 2-3 weeks later oil lite comes back on. top it off again. now its above the site glass.

ahh, its a 2005 Gen I

Thanks for any information.:worship:

1: engine chuggeds at take off a little, i up'ed the idol a little, earlier in the season the carbs leaked, the leak went away, its a little hard to start and the wife noticed a fuel leak around the center kick stand when it was flooded.

2: ive only did one oil change on the cycle sence ive had it, ive put on 1300 miles so far, shortly after i did the oil change i noticed it was a little high, so i drained a little out so it was near the top dot on the site glass, week or so later oil light came on. I added a little, 2-3 weeks later oil lite comes back on. top it off again. now its above the site glass.

ahh, its a 2005 Gen I

Thanks for any information.:worship:

Okay, definitely looks like you need to clean those carbs. Looks as though you may have a float sticking intermittently. You may want to try some Seafoam first before tearing into the carbs. You can find it at most automotive chain stores or Walmart. As for the oil, just make sure that when you check the level that it is off the centerstand and is on level ground. Have someone hold the bike upright while you check. An 05' with such little mileage shouldn't be using up any oil.

Okay, definitely looks like you need to clean those carbs. Looks as though you may have a float sticking intermittently. You may want to try some Seafoam first before tearing into the carbs. You can find it at most automotive chain stores or Walmart. As for the oil, just make sure that when you check the level that it is off the centerstand and is on level ground. Have someone hold the bike upright while you check. An 05' with such little mileage shouldn't be using up any oil.

I have used the seafoam, im about on my 10th tank and just bought the 2nd can, it use to leak around/off the carbs, not the leak seems to dripping from up about the center kickstand.. Odd i thought so i will look for a gracked fuel line or what-not, messing with the idol today, its about 1800 rpm and strats off nice but a little hard to start, I know its high. its a temp fix. unfortationaly i dont have the time/space to take it apart, so i will have to take it in and get it serviced.

As far as the oil level ifilled and toped off always on the center stand, Ill check and change my method.

I have used the seafoam, im about on my 10th tank and just bought the 2nd can, it use to leak around/off the carbs, not the leak seems to dripping from up about the center kickstand.. Odd i thought so i will look for a gracked fuel line or what-not, messing with the idol today, its about 1800 rpm and strats off nice but a little hard to start, I know its high. its a temp fix. unfortationaly i dont have the time/space to take it apart, so i will have to take it in and get it serviced.

As far as the oil level ifilled and toped off always on the center stand, Ill check and change my method.

Yeah, the bike should be on level ground and upright to check your oil level. Also, I know your just trying to get by right now but try and at least lowering the idle to about 12 or 1300rpms. 18 is a bit high. I could almost guarantee that if you have the carbs cleaned properly, your bike will be running like new. Let us know what happens.

You can also stop with the Seafoam now. If your on your 10th tank and it hasn't cured the issue, then the carbs are too far gone for Seafoam to fix. Once the bike is fixed you may want to do 5ozs every third or fourth tankfull.

check oil

late getting to this thread, but the gen 1 owners manual specifically says to check oil level with bike on centerstand. Is the "off the centerstand" method the more accurate way to go?

There are two hose that run down the left side from the airbox that lead to the vinicity of the centerstand. Id be curious to see what your air filter looks like and maybe clogged to where you are limiting air flow and that is how hou are getting your pooling?

late getting to this thread, but the gen 1 owners manual specifically says to check oil level with bike on centerstand. Is the "off the centerstand" method the more accurate way to go?

Absolutely right. It does say to put it on the centerstand. I guess there's no problem doing it that way. The first time I changed my oil by that method, I was off enough to set the light on the dash. Since then I do the "off the centerstand" method and never had an issue. Then again, I do usually have my son nearby to make sure the bike is perfectly upright. I guess if you doing it solo it would be easier to have it on the stand.

Back