Moving to California from the UK!

Hello guys and girls :)

I am packing up my stuff and I am moving over to California. I am looking at the possibility of taking the bike over with me as I really do not want to bring myself to sell it. Has anybody ever done anything like this before??? I'm assuming that doing this is going to ball a right pain but I just want to see what my options are.

Thanks in advanced Chris

California has the strictest EPA regulations in the country. That's one major issue you will want to look into. bikes and auto are cut back to real lean conditions and have extra cat and muffler regulations. Thats about all I know Im sure the left coast people will chime in with more welcome to the USA good luck. You will have to weigh it out and figure out if its worth it to bring the bike over and convert it over or ditch the bike and get one when you get over here. Bikes are easier to get and cheaper here in the states

Lonney

California has the strictest EPA regulations in the country. That's one major issue you will want to look into. bikes and auto are cut back to real lean conditions and have extra cat and muffler regulations. Thats about all I know Im sure the left coast people will chime in with more. Welcome to the USA good luck. You will have to weigh it out and figure out if its worth it to bring the bike over and convert it over or ditch the bike and get one when you get over here. Bikes are easier to get and cheaper here in the states

Lonney

Hello lonney, thanks for the reply :)

When I brought my fz1 I paid £4000 in dollars that's about $6150 it was about six months ago I got it and it was a 2006 with about 4500 miles on it. Would it really be cheaper than that to buy a new one over there? What websites do you use to buy bikes on in the USA ? Or what's the best ?

You can still find new unsold 2012 FZ1's around for approximately $7,800 from aggressive dealers. You may have to add a transport fee to that. But isn't the transport form the UK pretty high?

And you run the risk and wrath of the Kalifornia DMV and their many very shiny green rules! That may be your worst nightmare. Then - if you've brought it over and can't license it - how do you sell it to someone when it doesn't meet Kalifornia rules - or other states' rules ? Potential trouble.

Hello lonney, thanks for the reply :)

When I brought my fz1 I paid £4000 in dollars that's about $6150 it was about six months ago I got it and it was a 2006 with about 4500 miles on it. Would it really be cheaper than that to buy a new one over there? What websites do you use to buy bikes on in the USA ? Or what's the best ?

Yes it is much cheaper here in the US compared to EU. I moved to California 1.5 years ago and it is motorcycle heaven as long as you do not try to register an out of state bike. I never did it but only reading all the regulations and fees let you walk right away from this option.

Where in California are you going?

It's probably more effort than it's worth. First you need to find an importer who inspects updates and certifies your bike means DOT rules. Lights, tires, emissions, mirrors, etc. They can probably do the CARB changes at the same time. Once your bike meets the requirements they send a form to US Customs. Once you have a small stack of paperwork you'll go to the DMV, get the bike visually inspected, then your plates. Whew...

And this is all while you are moving and unpacking. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I'd definitely sell. California is motorcycle heaven and the US is the cheapest, most plentiful place on earth to buy a bike. You're way better off cleaning house and selling it all before you move.

:unworthy: I want to move there :)

I'd definitely sell. California is motorcycle heaven and the US is the cheapest, most plentiful place on earth to buy a bike. You're way better off cleaning house and selling it all before you move.

Absolutely true.
You can buy out of state bikes but make sure they have more than 7500 miles on them or the CA DMV won't allow you to register it.

This.

The cost of transport alone is going to not make it worth bringing over, plus I would imagine that right now in mid-summer is going to be the best time to try and sell your bike in the UK.

What part of California you moving to? This is a huge state.

Yes it is much cheaper here in the US compared to EU. I moved to California 1.5 years ago and it is motorcycle heaven as long as you do not try to register an out of state bike. I never did it but only reading all the regulations and fees let you walk right away from this option.

Where in California are you going?

Morning all (just got up) thank you all for advice. I think the best thing to do will be to sell and just get something else when I get there. I will be in Winchester near temecula

You can still find new unsold 2012 FZ1's around for approximately $7,800 from aggressive dealers. You may have to add a transport fee to that. But isn't the transport form the UK pretty high?

And you run the risk and wrath of the Kalifornia DMV and their many very shiny green rules! That may be your worst nightmare. Then - if you've brought it over and can't license it - how do you sell it to someone when it doesn't meet Kalifornia rules - or other states' rules ? Potential trouble.

Where? What websites do you all recommend for buying motorcycles in the u.s?

Return your bike to stock and take everything with you to put on your new bike. 1st problem I thought of was your headlights will not pass inspection for DOT as you ride on the left in the UK.

Cycletrader.com is nice place to look for new and used bikes. There is Craigslist but you need to be wary of scamers there.

Send me a wad of cash and I'll have a nice bike waiting here for you. Heck I'll even ride it until you get here just so the petro does not get stale :D

Cycletrader.com is nice place to look for new and used bikes. There is Craigslist but you need to be wary of scamers there.

Send me a wad of cash and I'll have a nice bike waiting here for you. Heck I'll even ride it until you get here just so the petro does not get stale :D

I have purchased both my bikes off Craigslist with no issues.

To the OP:

Temecula is a very nice area, only 40 min from where I live in Oceanside, lots of access to windy mountain roads. best wishes!

I have purchased both my bikes off Craigslist with no issues.

To the OP:

Temecula is a very nice area, only 40 min from where I live in Oceanside, lots of access to windy mountain roads. best wishes!

I went to Oceanside last year. It's pretty nice there. The roads though the winery's are pretty good but none like England:(

I also found my bike on craigslist in los angeles. - Absolutely no issues with the seller or the sale.

I think it's just a case of that if the price looks far too good to be true then it most likely isn't..... Do you have a company that can check the history's of bikes/cars etc. like if they have money against them/loan?

Back