Mounting Givi saddlebag guards

screamingbuick

ok, you guys prolly know this, I'm flying down to my new 09 FZ1 next week, and will have limited space for wrenches, "luggage weight and space", I'm putting on a set of Givi saddlebag guard rails. I need to know the wrench size for the 2 bolts that hold each pillion foot rest mount on, and the 4 bolts that hold the fender extension on under the pillion seat. That way I can carry only the wrenches needed to remove those. Thanks Bob

P.S. Old School hooked me up with the guards, Nice guy:)

Sockets

The 4 under the seat the you will need to loosen to remove the fender are a job for a deep socket and ratchet, The longer bolts that replace the 4 are allen head (in the GIVI kit). The ones that replace the four at the footpeg end are also allen head bolts (in the GIVI kit). I will measure the bolts and let you know what size sockets you need and edit this post.

Great thanks, I'm bringing a 3/8 ratchet so if you get me the deep socket size that would be great. I don't know the dealer where I'm picking it up and how willing his techs will be to hand me tools need so I'm trying to prep the best I can, and not have 100lbs of weight hanging off the back on the ride home, lol.

update

Great thanks, I'm bringing a 3/8 ratchet so if you get me the deep socket size that would be great. I don't know the dealer where I'm picking it up and how willing his techs will be to hand me tools need so I'm trying to prep the best I can, and not have 100lbs of weight hanging off the back on the ride home, lol.

You will need a 12mm socket, either a deep or a regular with an extension. The stock footpeg bracket bolts require a 6mm Allen key socket. You can check when the rack arrives, but I think that the Givi bolts all use an 8mm Allen head socket.

There are little silver spacer rings in the package (4) that fit between the rack's rear mounting plate and the fender's mounting plate (just in case the instructions are not clear).

Here's hoping that UPS comes through! By the way I just checked and it was in Eagan MN just after midnight this morning. That's better than half way, and obviously cleared customs.

Last edited:
help

I have a 2007 FZ1 and I can't figure out how the rails install. Yea, it's pretty obvious how it is "suppose" to go. However, on mine, the riser part the bolts to the fender doesn't seem long enough to clear the fender. What am I missing!?

Can you just post a pic of the final installation. I commute with my FZ1 from Hudson/WI to Eden Prairie. Maybe I could meet somewhere and check out the installation.

Thanks,
Dave

I have a 2007 FZ1 and I can't figure out how the rails install. Yea, it's pretty obvious how it is "suppose" to go. However, on mine, the riser part the bolts to the fender doesn't seem long enough to clear the fender. What am I missing!?

Can you just post a pic of the final installation. I commute with my FZ1 from Hudson/WI to Eden Prairie. Maybe I could meet somewhere and check out the installation.

Thanks,
Dave

I found a picture of the rack on the GIVI site. I had to put a slight bend in the rear mounting plates to make it work right. The rear rack mounts fit against the underside of the tailpiece between the stock fender assembly and the tail's underside.The original mounting plates were too flat when they came from GIVI and would have had the horizontal tubes that go out from the rear tail section in hard contact with the rear underside of the tailpiece. I bent the flat mounting plates up(from the tubes) and then put a sharper angle on that same bracket so it matched the mounting location's angle. A table vise helps, but it can be done by hand.It is just about a little trial and error. There are 4 silver spacers that fit onto the fenders original mount holes to keep the bolts from crushing the tailpiece.

I will try to attach a link for the instruction sheet from the Givi website:GIVI.CA

Scroll down it is part # 076-T271, You can down load a PDF file of the instructions (click the "mounting instruction" tab on the lower left part of the screen) in case you have lost yours. Although not the best, the pictures will help you get the job done. I will scan and upload a copy when I get home and post the picture.

givi1.jpg

Note: #7 shows 2 nuts that in actuality are permanently attached to the stock tail section.
#6 shows the silver aluminum spacer rings. There are 4.
#5 is the foam tape to protect the tail underside. Sticky 1 side that attaches to the Givi plates (2)
#2 are the 4 replacement bolts that are provided ( longer than the stock ones) Allen head 8mm by 35mm
I hope this helps make it clearer.

Last edited:
Thanks for trying to help! I have the same instructions. I have a used bike and I now think I have a fender eliminator kit, but still have the fender. The brackets that attach to the tail end up about 1" short of the tail (see pics). I emailed Givi tech support and they said they don't have anything to fit my bike if it has a fender eliminator kit. So it's either try to retrofit this or make something from scratch. I don't think I could make anything as nice so the plan is to modify the Givi. Will need to cut and extend rear bracket (see pics) so it reaches the tail and the bar clears the tail. This will shift the whole assembly back slightly, so I'll need to extend and drill new holes for the front attach point. Seems like a lot of work after paying top dollar for these simple brackets.

If everything was stock, installation looks like it would be a snap.

BTW: the picks show the guards as high as they will go, but see how short they are!

Last edited:
spacers

Thanks for trying to help! I have the same instructions. I have a used bike and I now think I have a fender eliminator kit, but still have the fender. The brackets that attach to the tail end up about 1" short of the tail (see pics). I emailed Givi tech support and they said they don't have anything to fit my bike if it has a fender eliminator kit. So it's either try to retrofit this or make something from scratch. I don't think I could make anything as nice so the plan is to modify the Givi. Will need to cut and extend rear bracket (see pics) so it reaches the tail and the bar clears the tail. This will shift the whole assembly back slightly, so I'll need to extend and drill new holes for the front attach point. Seems like a lot of work after paying top dollar for these simple brackets.

If everything was stock, installation looks like it would be a snap.

BTW: the picks show the guards as high as they will go, but see how short they are!

You could use the brackets the way they are and cut pieces of aluminum pipe with a washer at each end,to use as spacers. Square aluminum cut to the lenght of the flat part of the bracket with holes drilled at each end to match would work even better. Then just get longer bolts, they are readily available. As long as the holes line up it will work. In the pictures it looks like the stock fender to me. My brackets were coming up slightly short because the angle on the bends in the bracket (picture 1) were not sharp enough. I just adjusted the bends to work so the cross piece would not touch the tail section. I still think that by using a combination of spacers and adjusting the angle slightly you can make it work without cutting or welding anything. If I was living closer I would come give you a hand!

Last edited:
Givi customer support phoned me today. The T271 doesn't fit the US FZ1. That's what is going on. TwistedThrottle offered a postage paid return so high marks for them! I'm choosing to modify the bracket to fit. It's actually going to be a pretty easy fix.

- front bracket is unchanged.
- rear bracket is replaced with a longer and different bend strap
- guard rail is rebent slightly to fit.

Attached is my mock-up with the rear bracket cut off and just a simple strap bent to hold up the rear of the guard. It works! Now it's just a matter of fabricating and welding on a new rear bracket.

Last edited:
Here is an update on those guards. A trip requiring the saddle bags fell through so I didn't finish them until today.
- extended the fender brackets
- had to bend the brackets a little.

Here is the result

Back