Motorcyclist in a ditch for 3 days

This kind of crazy stuff happens. I remember five or so years ago a man collapsed alongside a Houston freeway, on the other side of a Jersey barrier and laid there for a few days until someone on an overpass noticed him and called police. He was feet away from help but was hidden from view, he couldn't move due to a neck injury. Phones aren't always a solution because m/c riders tend to drive outside of cell phone service. I always tell my wife generally where I am going so if I don't show up they will have some idea as to where to look.

WOW!!!
That is kind of scary. I drive a lot of long solo drives and even though you try to be prepared for everything - you cannot be prepared for everything.
I can only imagine what it would be like to lie in a ditch for 3 days, partially submerged and not even be able to knock the bugs off your face. That had to be tough. Sure am glad they found him.

When I hit the back roads I lose service quick. My wife always knows where I'm going or at least how to find the route I'm on. I've also been riding with groups so we can make sure we watch each other's backs out there.

It's a good concept to have that app as long as you have the service to use it. It's a scary thought to crash and have to lay there wondering if someone will notice or stop to help.

WOW! Just like when one signs in at a trail head for a hike or climb, always let someone know where you are riding, when you'll be back, and let them know you've returned.

When I go riding by myself I let me buddy know I'm out. Once or twice he's had to come pick me up.

a couple four or five years back along hwy 12 just out of fairfield ca a biker was in a ditch for days. nobody found him till he was able to drag himself out.
two broken legs and other problems.
and this was a major rd. cell service included.

but yes check out the ditches along any route to be searched. this happen way to often. :jaw drop:

I know someone who has a SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger that he uses so he can let his wife know he's ok while he's on the road. It seems like a good idea to me if your planning on riding alone often.

those things are pretty pricy tho! I use the cradar app cuz I ride to work and people drive like idiots here. but I try not to go riding in the hill country alone alas i have to sometimes.

those things are pretty pricy tho! I use the cradar app cuz I ride to work and people drive like idiots here. but I try not to go riding in the hill country alone alas i have to sometimes.

H'mmm.....I've ridden and driven all over the world, and now live in the TX Hill Country and can honestly say the drivers here are no better or worse than anywhere else. Actually, they seem pretty polite in my experience. No issue going riding alone in the Hill Country, I do it all the time. Quiet roads, not a lot of traffic most days, a good amount of motorcycles. If you would break down someone will surely stop to help, just like most places in the world. I took a long ride today to check out how the 5 inches of rain we got over the weekend greened things up. No need to hunt up another rider.

Last edited:
How do you like it?
I saw the payment plans at around $99 a year - any hidden fees or anything like that?

I won't ride without one......(says my wife). I think they are a must have. One time I was at Deals Gap, and on the news a guy, and his son were missing for 2 days....the father was dead, but the son crawled up the mountain to the road, and someone found him, he lived...if they had a spot they could have been located immediately, possibly saving the dad's life.

Back