Motorcycle Mods versus state law???

FZ1fun

I'm was about to undertake the Fuzzy mod and va-rider's hoppy tailight conversion when I started thinking about state law and not wanting to get pulled over on every outing. On the AMA website (Missouri state motorcycle laws) it states that MO doesn't require mirrors or turn signals to be a street legal bike??? :Liar: That just doesn't make sense, does anybody know the truth or can I take this as fact?

I'm was about to undertake the Fuzzy mod and va-rider's hoppy tailight conversion when I started thinking about state law and not wanting to get pulled over on every outing. On the AMA website (Missouri state motorcycle laws) it states that MO doesn't require mirrors or turn signals to be a street legal bike??? :Liar: That just doesn't make sense, does anybody know the truth or can I take this as fact?

I thought this was a great resource....
State-by-state motorcycle laws

traveling legal

Remember you may want to leave the state at some time and need to be legal everywhere that you travel. The rules are different between where I live and the next province over so I have to keep it legal for the strictest region that I travel in.

I thought this was a great resource....
State-by-state motorcycle laws

Well as you can see by taking a quick look on there the laws vary from state to state. That being said I think people need to use common sense when it comes to motorcycles. Just because mirrors and turn signals are not "required" doesn't make it a good idea not to have them. It's the same thing with helmets in the states that don't require them. You can ride w/o one until the first time you have an accident. Then it doesn't seem like such a good idea...

I looked up several items months ago and I think these are right:

Missouri does not require a rear view mirror on the bike if you have one on your helmet, goggles, glasses, etc.

They do not require turn signals on bikes that DID NOT come with turn signals installed from the manufacturer. If your bike came from Yamaha with turn signals, you need them.

Good luck,

MrHix

Well as you can see by taking a quick look on there the laws vary from state to state. That being said I think people need to use common sense when it comes to motorcycles. Just because mirrors and turn signals are not "required" doesn't make it a good idea not to have them. It's the same thing with helmets in the states that don't require them. You can ride w/o one until the first time you have an accident. Then it doesn't seem like such a good idea...

Understandable, but I'm not considering riding without a helmet or without the proper saftey equipment but I would like to modify my standard equipment. I'm specifically talking about removing my rear blinkers and using my tailight as my blinkers.

Thanks MrHix that helps out a lot. I understand that you want to try and stay legal wherever you go but as long as I have the necessary equipment for people to see me and know what I'm doing I'm not going to fret about it. That is until my first or second ticket.

Last edited:
As per state law in VA, if the motorcycle is equipped with turn signals, they must be functional. If they are not present, the rider must use hand signals. Many other states are the same...

VA also stipulates that if signals are present, they must be 7" apart... so. when I get my bike inspected (or... when I used to) I always just said that I didn't have turn signals.

As far as Lane Splitting.....'No refference in administrative code' Thats how it reads in the California codes, and lane splitting is just another day there, most riders do it and are not cited otherwise? I'v never herd of a rider cited for lane splitting EVER.... Also in North Carolina it says the same thing in the codes, hmmm I wonder then if its legal? or rather not illegal?

Just looked at the NH page on the AMA site. We used to have a stipulation about how far apart signals are placed but according to that page, there isn't one any longer, just that we have signals installed. Also, the inspection listed is "Safety" and does not mention emissions? Wondering now....

But there IS still that DAMNED noise law and it's down to 106 db. That's barely more than STOCK exhaust!

Live FREE my arse! We're flippin' DYING here. Time to consider another state. Hellooooooooooooo TN! :D

Modifications

The day will probably come when bikes are limited for speed and power and non-stock parts are prohibited, fortunatly a stock FZ1 has enough grunt to still border insane. :)

a late posting here but go to your state department of motor vehicles.
and buy the state law book.
maybe even can find it online these days.
do the same for each state you plan on going into.

read the law. most leos do not know the law quit right and will try to fool you into a big ticket.
get and be prepared for the leo that only wants to fill out his book.

I contacted the Motorcycle Safety school that I did the BRC and ARC at. They sent me a link to the state (Arizona Revised Statutes) law page and also a brochure that they give out at classes.

In AZ if you have turn signals on the bike, they must be functional in front and back. If you take them off you must use hand signals.

You must have a light to illuminate the license plate and the plate is easily visible. (for any tail tidy mods)

Just wondering....so if you live in one state and ride your bike into another different laws apply? Do you also need a license for that state?

Here in Europe, the rules are that if your bike is OK in one country then the police can not give you a ticket in another for not complying to their regulations, the only exception being France (as usual) where you are mandated to carry a Breathalyzer test that is of a sanctioned type.

I cannot speak for all the states but in New England, if the bike is OK in your state, they cannot ticket you in their state. They can only apply traffic violations and helmet laws to an out-of-state registration.

Back