MotoGP Round 01, Qatar running now!

Dustin

Just caught up on FP1. Can't wait for the race with a much larger grid. :)

The 1000cc bikes are easily seeing 210mph on the straight during practice! I wonder how much power is really lurking inside those new motors? The teams are saying 'more than 250hp' and I bet that's conservative...

Last edited:
Well, I must really be getting "anal" in my old age because the US announcer is driving me CRAZY!! This is 4 years now that he calls Jorge Lorenzo, LorenTo with a "T"!!!! Where do you hear a "T" anywhere in the guys name??!!! All the other announcers call him LorenZo with a "Z". Doesn't he know by now that he's pronouncing it wrong after 4 friggin years!!! Why doesn't someone smack him in the back of the head and tell him??!! :rant:

Oh yeah, and the race was great by the way. I'm glad they are back on and running. The CRT bikes have some catching up to do but I expected as much.

Well, I must really be getting "anal" in my old age because the US announcer is driving me CRAZY!! This is 4 years now that he calls Jorge Lorenzo, LorenTo with a "T"!!!! Where do you hear a "T" anywhere in the guys name??!!! All the other announcers call him LorenZo with a "Z". Doesn't he know by now that he's pronouncing it wrong after 4 friggin years!!! Why doesn't someone smack him in the back of the head and tell him??!! :rant:

Oh yeah, and the race was great by the way. I'm glad they are back on and running. The CRT bikes have some catching up to do but I expected as much.

I believe there is a dialect of Spanish in Spain (castillian?) that the "Z" is pronounced that way. More like "th" sound. I have heard that from someone from there, I think. Probably the announce is doing the authentic pronunciation. You'd be surprised. In Argentina two "ll" in a word are pronounced like "sh" sound. So, "lluvia" (rain) is pronounce "shuvia", as opposed to other spanish speaking places where they pronounce the two ll's as "y" sound.

Last edited:
I believe there is a dialect of Spanish in Spain (castillian?) that the "Z" is pronounced that way. More like "th" sound. I have heard that from someone from there, I think. Probably the announce is doing the authentic pronunciation. You'd be surprised. In Argentina two "ll" in a word are pronounced like "sh" sound. So, "lluvia" (rain) is pronounce "shuvia", as opposed to other spanish speaking places where they pronounce the two ll's as "y" sound.

So he must be trying to show everyone how "smart" he is! I bet the guy is from Jersey or Connecticut! Nobody likes a "showoff"! Hahaha! At least I don't!

Yah could be Billy. Show offs are too much, I agee. If it is a British announcer, they sometimes lean towards the actual way the racer pronounces thier own name........it's hard to say. GB being part of the European continent and all......If Lorenzo insists and makes a big deal about it (I have no idea), that could be why. But, it just occurred to me that I ran in to a guy who talked that way and so, it's kinda like how here in US we pronounce words a certain way and elsewhere they pronounce them as it is in the spoken language. Not sure if it is someone showing off, arrogant about their different language, or what. It just takes all kinds. But after having been in other places, I just try not to take offense. Because others are so different sometimes. But I see it as a learning opportunity.

Yah could be Billy. Show offs are too much, I agee. If it is a British announcer, they sometimes lean towards the actual way the racer pronounces thier own name........it's hard to say. GB being part of the European continent and all......If Lorenzo insists and makes a big deal about it (I have no idea), that could be why. But, it just occurred to me that I ran in to a guy who talked that way and so, it's kinda like how here in US we pronounce words a certain way and elsewhere they pronounce them as it is in the spoken language. Not sure if it is someone showing off, arrogant about their different language, or what. It just takes all kinds. But after having been in other places, I just try not to take offense. Because others are so different sometimes. But I see it as a learning opportunity.

I know bud. I'm just kidding. By the way, two of the three other announcers ARE British, and they say it with the "Z". The guy I'm talking about is from here in the States. He doesn't announce the whole race. He just comes on after the commercials for about 30 seconds and then turns it over to the three other guys.

Ah. Well then. Maybe he is a big showoff! Guess I had the sound on too low and missed that.

I wonder if the announcer is the same for you guys out West? It seems like he's NOT at the race but in a studio somewhere. He only comes on after a commercial, and only for a short time. Then it seems like he sends it back to the race in progress. They really don't even need him for the show. The three announcers do a great job all by themselves.

Back