More Work To Do - A.I.S. Removal

I rode over to Ivan's early this morning. I got there a little early to find Gina already in the parking lot. We chit chatted for a bit until Ivan showed up. She is extremely pleasant to talk to and very easy on the eyes, but thats another thread for another day.

I hung out with Ivan for about an hour or so, shooting the breeze about bikes, mods, forums, etc. Unfortunately I had to meet a guy who was picking up a trailer at work. Amazingly enough. the guy was actually trailering an 85' Yamaha RZ350 down to Florida. What a small world!

Anyway, I picked up the A.I.S. kit, and after a quick run-down from Ivan about installation, I headed back to the Bronx....the long way I might add. I'll probably tackle this job Sunday along with spark plugs, air filter, etc., being that I'll have the radiator out of the way. I may go and polish the headers too depending on how I feel. I'll post a follow up as to how it runs afterward in terms of popping on decel.
002-9.jpg

How much does Ivan charge for the kit? Is the kit the same for the GEN I and II?

Sounds like a busy day! Wish I was there to help (and enjoy some brews after the shakedown ride).

How much does Ivan charge for the kit? Is the kit the same for the GEN I and II?

Sounds like a busy day! Wish I was there to help (and enjoy some brews after the shakedown ride).

Not sure on the prices (~$35-40), but the Gen I and Gen II kits are totally different. Check out this page for pictures of the Gen II kit installed.

Last edited:
I've noticed quite a few riders opting for the removal of the exhaust air injection because they want to eliminate the poping caused by the explosions of unburned gases as they are given a shot of oxygen in the exhaust ract. I personally like the sound because it reminds me of a formula car as he down-shifts for a tight turn and with the can I'm running, going from about six or seven grand then quickly turning off the gas for a quick transition just gets my blood moving. Aside from that part of the subject, when that unburned crap isn't exploded, guess what? You end up breathing the junk. I understand that eliminating the tubing can make access to some engine parts easier, but for anyone who has a breathing issue, the tubing and poping seem pretty minor compaired to not being able to breath. And it ain't gonna give you any more power either.

Well, the kit was $35.00 dollars. Whether or not it's the same for both generations I'm not sure, but he did tell me that this kit is used on the R-1 as well. He didn't mention what years which leads me to believe that they may in fact be the same on both.

Not really a busy day except for taking the extra long way home via Bear Mountain to screw around with my new rubber. I won't be installing until this Sunday, but a shakedown run and some brews sounds real good, especially with this heat, and I don't even drink!

I've noticed quite a few riders opting for the removal of the exhaust air injection because they want to eliminate the poping caused by the explosions of unburned gases as they are given a shot of oxygen in the exhaust ract. I personally like the sound because it reminds me of a formula car as he down-shifts for a tight turn and with the can I'm running, going from about six or seven grand then quickly turning off the gas for a quick transition just gets my blood moving. Aside from that part of the subject, when that unburned crap isn't exploded, guess what? You end up breathing the junk. I understand that eliminating the tubing can make access to some engine parts easier, but for anyone who has a breathing issue, the tubing and poping seem pretty minor compaired to not being able to breath. And it ain't gonna give you any more power either.

I don't care for the sound but I can say it was only reduced, not gone as it still pops and gurgles and almost backfires on heavy decel.

Back