More FZ1 Musings

1300 miles and it feels like a continuation of the FZ6, meaning it feels like I've been riding this bike for the entire year's ownership of both bikes. It's an easy extension of the FZ6. Power is ridiculous and while you can certainly bring it to bear on the secondary roads it is most noticeable on the highway. Sometimes it feels like a fly buzzing around a lazy cow (are there any other types?) with thier tail swatting but missing handily.

Changing speeds so quickly I at once feel the urge and satisfaction of re-positioning myself amongst the cars and trucks as well as the need for restraint. I tell myself that 90 MPH for 1 second will only be a blip on the radar screen, interpreted as interference superimposed upon an otherwise steady reading. My abilities to move about give me the feeling I am a moderator of the highway forum, able to hack into anyone's lines.

Riding at highway speeds I glance down and notice that any part of the bike within my visual field is steady, no different than my car. No vibration. Touching the tank confirms this. This will translate to less fatigue to the organic part of the bike.

The bike tracks well, even in gusty winds. It's suspension absorbs more of the roads defects and its brakes will toss the unwary rider who engages more than a couple of fingers for the purpose of slowing. The feeling is sublime as I glance at my shadow moving about so effortlessly.

Is it possible to love a gear? I think I'm in love with 1rst. Or maybe it's just enfatuation. I can complete all of my initial positioning and more in 1rst; if I start from a light and turn I will not need to change gears in the middle of the turn, or any time right after coming upright again. Stop and go no longer requires flipping between 3 gears. 1rst goes comfortably to 30 MPH. Sure, it goes to 80, but at that speed it sounds like a Kamikazee dive bomber and every fasciculation of the hand will translate to a bolt forward or backward. It's still mild mannered at 30 MPH. 5th and 6th gears must be "optional" as I'm perpetually surprised to find them in reserve once I'm up to speed on any road. Engaging 6th, the bike assumes an "autopilot" mode, smooth, quiet, and the distinct feeling that it's covered this stretch of road a thousand times in some past life.

Handling is as expected: excellent. I've lost nothing from the FZ6, which I thought was first rate. I've probably gained in ways a more sophisticated rider could enjoy.

And negatives? They're few and far between. If you have owned a smaller engine bike you won't like the gas mileage. You may even despise it. Apart from an apparently aberrant 42 and 40 mpg it seems I am destined to never see more than 38 mpg with most trips returning 35 to 37 mpg. As such, I wish the tank were larger. Much like my Golden Retriever at dinner time I envision Professor Fizz's mirrors flopping up and down at the site of a gas station, as he circles the pumps, waiting to dig in. Oh sure, I could do better if I adjust my riding style. Like, for instance, if I ride 35 miles and then push my bike for the next 40 miles I could get 75 mpg.

The stock seat is more comfortable than the stock FZ6 seat but after a few hours you'll know you've been riding. I'm beginning to think there is no bike or horse, or anything that is "ridden" that will be all day comfortable, at least not for my bony buttocks.

All things considered, I imagine it's a hard bike to beat at this price point. I hear from a couple of people who have ridden both that the Bandit 1250 is nowhere as smooth a ride. While I can't quite take that to the bank I'd like to try Suzuki's contender, just for first hand knowledge.

Last edited:
It's great that you can rob the very core of a persons feelings about his bike and put them on paper. I live what I've just read and wonder "How did Norm know I felt this way?"

Well done, yet again! :D :tup:

It's great that you can rob the very core of a persons feelings about his bike and put them on paper. I live what I've just read and wonder \"How did Norm know I felt this way?\"

Well done, yet again! :D :tup:

I was going to write back "You talk in your sleep" which sounded very witty. Then I thought about it a little more...for one thing Michelle and Felicia would be a little upset.

you should find a way to collect royalties for your writing b/c you are for sure to inspire someone on the fence about an FZ to purchase one. As stated above, you have a way to capture the essence of what we all feel and why we so eagerly throw a leg of the FZ and head out to face whatever the asphalt has to offer us that day.

Adam

Back