Mods for looks only

Well I got around to stripping my wheels, and I'm glad I did for one, the powdercoat had tiny speck/chips that allower incursions of water thuss the very beginings of oxidation and pre-pitting. It was easy enough to touch it up with fine emery cloth to smooth out the areas in question. Now I'll be finishing the wheels to a much smoother finish (polished) with my industrial buffer. By using red and then white rouge, they will come out like mirrors without irregularities. The one thing I noticed while stripping was that the center and spokes was of a considerably harded powdercoat and did not come off as easily. I had a simmilar situation with

my Buell when stripping the wheels on it. To strip, I use 'Permatex' gasket remover, and it lifts off the PC usually within 20-30 minuates, enough so that you can oftentimes use a presure nozzle on a garden hose and peel it all off. Sometimes a half of a clothspin works well to rub the stuborn bits off. However, as I said the centers and spokes are of a sandcast looking surface texture and the PC really sticks there by nature of the grainny texture. It will take one more bout with the gasket remover to have completly bare wheels. I believe I will go with the polished look however as it really wasn't much more time than I spent on PC'd wheels cleaning after every ride, so whats

an extra fiew minutes.... Another thing that I did, and in my opinion it really cleaned up the look, was to take off the frame plates (covers) there at the rear where the swingarm plug goes. It really cleaned up the look, sort of Gen. 2 look-ish in that general area. Both the heelguards and footrest mounts on the passenger pegs were mirror polished, so the look is good, and only slightly altered from stock. The Delkevic Polished can works well with this polished look since it's smooth and has no really apparent sticker, yes it does have one but its frosted and is just about invisable. I believe to finish up the bike for now, a nice set of anodized bars would be in order, and frame sliders. After that I will focus on touring accessories for my up-coming ride out to the left coast to visit friends and relatives. Boy this weather has did a 180 around here with 70's days and 40's at night, won't be long at all. Once the leaves come out and the heat is held overnigh, I guess we'll all be thinking of mesh textile riding jackets and accessories.:) :)

A good detailing and general clean up can make the machine that has a couple years worth of scratches, chips, an built up crud look like new again. That's what catches the eye more than anything else.

Stripping.... 10 mintes into it. The frame-cover off, I like the sans look beter

Hhmm, you're talking about the bike right, otherwise I don't think we really want that picture. :laugh2:;)

Ah, now that the pictures have come up I see. I have always liked a painted wheel with a polished edge. Just a polished edge is very easy to keep looking great, unlike the whole wheel which takes a lot of time and effort to keep shiny. Time better spent riding.

Last edited:
Back