MIVV GP, FJR Pegs, FZ6 pads & more

bsly

Finally blocked the AIS hose, removed the EXUP cables, installed the MIVV GP slip-on, switched the rider footpeg pads to FZ6 pads and I fitted the FJR passenger pegs.

Disconnecting the AIS electrical connector was an absolute pain in the a$$. Under the airbox there is a crossbar welded to the frame above the connectors location. You can barely get one hand into the space and the connector wires have very little slack. I finally got it disconnected using a long screwdriver, a pair of vice grips and an alphabet of cuss words. I ended up using the 9/16" bolt option to block the AIS hose as recomended by MrHix here at the forum (cut the head off and cut a slot into one end to screw it into the hose). I think I spent a total of 4 hours on the AIS mod. The EXUP removal and pipe install were done in less than an hour. Spent another hour switching the foot peg pads to FZ6 pads and doing some minor grinding to the rear passenger pegs mounts to allow the FJR pegs to fold properly.

I love the MIVV GP pipe! I didnt want it too loud, so I left the header cat in place. I'm very happy with the new sound. Not too loud, but a nice deep sound that I can actually hear when riding. Engine braking has been reduced quite a bit, and acceleration feels like the motor doesn't have to work as hard.

I still havent gotten to the SW Motech Riser install, but hopefully soon!

Nice work! Looking awesome!

I like the red ones but at the same time, I cannot help but always think of Christmas when I see them... Red and gold reminds me of ornaments! :D

I need to see if I can pass inspection in June. If that is the case with the AIS blocked, I'll remove it when it is time to change the plugs out and put in a set of blockoff plates. For now, just the hose is blocked so, if needed, I can unblock it to pass inspection. I think I have *just the place* to go to and not worry though. ;)

What's the next mod on the list? :D Have you done the airbox mod and the flies yet? Awesome freebee mods!

Great work there bsly! I did the FZ6 pads too and don't feel any increased vibrations so it was a good mod for that extra 1/2" of legroom ;)

Oh and Eric the red '06 has black wheels :D

Iron Man

Nice work! Looking awesome!

I like the red ones but at the same time, I cannot help but always think of Christmas when I see them... Red and gold reminds me of ornaments! :D
!

One of the Members describes his bike as "Iron Man Colors". and I see where he is coming from.

Looks great bsly ! always nice to personalize your machine so that it is a one of a kind.

I tend to think of the colors as iron man also. Loved the movie, looking forward to the second movie in May. A guy at work told me his son is always asking about the iron man bike (my fz). I'll do the airbox eventually, and probably a complete ais removal with plates.

War Machine

I tend to think of the colors as iron man also. Loved the movie, looking forward to the second movie in May. A guy at work told me his son is always asking about the iron man bike (my fz). I'll do the airbox eventually, and probably a complete ais removal with plates.

Along those lines I guess my bike would be the "War machine" colours.

And the AIS removal, air box mod, velocity stacks, PCV, Flies and maybe the header will all get done in the fall at the same time. The warranty will be off and it will give me something to do when the riding weather is gone again. By then I should have the garage insulated and properly lit.

What year FZ6 foot pads did you purchase? Did you buy them from the Yamaha dealer? How much leg room did you gain?

What year FZ6 foot pads did you purchase? Did you buy them from the Yamaha dealer? How much leg room did you gain?

I ordered mine for an '07 FZ6. Got them through a dealer, but online since I was ordering a bunch of other parts. If just ordering the pads then just go to the local dealer since the shipping will probably be more than the discount you get in the first place. I'd say you gain roughly about 1/2" of extra leg room. Here's a pic:

IMG_1162.jpg

If I remember correctly I ordered 08 fz6 footpeg pads for my 08 FZ1. I'm pretty sure the pads had the same part numbers for any FZ6 from 06 to 09. You'll also notice in my picture that the FJR passenger peg pads (also 08) are exactly the same as the FZ6 footpeg pads.

I originally went to my local dealer (where I bought the bike) to get a quote for the FZ6 pads. No joke... they quoted me $38 each! I said no thanks, I didn't need them that bad. I found them online at Partshark for about $9 each plus about $12 shipping.

Like NJFZ1 said, its only about 1/2" difference from the stock FZ1 footpads, but you don't lose any ground clearance and its a fairly small investment to get a little bit more leg room from your stock pegs.

Back