MIVV GP Carbon Exhaust

I just put subject can and midpipe on my Gen II Raven. Looks and sounds nice.

Here's a good comparison video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwapAZjhOMw]YouTube - Yamaha FZ1 MIVV GP Carbon soundcheck[/ame]

Be sure and watch this video. Copperdawg is a good instructor and is installing this exact muffler on his cool Gen II FZ1!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3ZvUqKnfQ]YouTube - FZ1 Video Tutorials - Exhaust[/ame]

I followed his advice & bought the muffler from PJ's parts. They were excellent!

I had that video running on a nearby laptop & followed it step by step. Only a few bolt sizes were off.

Note: He has a bunch of excellent videos!

There were a few hurdles in the installation:

The main hanger with that rubber gasket between the hanger and the can itself. They leave it to you to bend it carefully around the can and fit it on there, all the while aligning the rubber gasket. As you bend it, the distance between the two "rails" of the bracket change, which makes it ever harder to align the rubber gasket. Also, you have to be very patient, maybe lucky, to end up with a nicely rounded hanger, and with the two tabs meeting parallel at the top, so the bold goes through.

I wasn't so great at it, but you only get one chance. So, I had to re-bend bit by bit, then use the big bolt without its spacer to start the bend. Then, remove the bold, use big pliers to bend each of the "ears" then try again.

Finally, I had to use two longer versions of the smaller bolts below the big bolt. This compressed the two ears enough to - one by one - put MIVV's smaller (and more attractive) bolts through the smaller holes.

Then, I found out I had to loosen the whole thing again to align the hooks for the spring that holds on the muffler.

Luckily, the midpipe fits on very nicely and is easy to align so it catches the center-stand. Its weird 3 "coke cans" apparently counteract some of the sound pulses, making it effective without any packing.

I left the DB killer in, since it seems completely hollow. I also didn't remove the catalytic converter as Copperdawg did in the video. I guess living in the People's Republik of Kalifornski, I fear the emissions Czars more than he does.

Also, be sure there's enough horizontal distance between the swing-arm and the can. I didn't but lucked out. Still, I was uncomfortable with a mere 1/4" of distance, so I (sigh) loosened those 3 bolts again, put a plasti funnel in there as a wedge, and re-tightened everything. Whew! A comfortable 3/4" is now between the can & swing-arm.

Also, check for leaks, just in case. I lucked out there - no air coming out at either of the pipe joints.

The sound & look are well worth an hour or so of wrestling with the parts.

Funny, it seemed quieter when I first installed it than it is now, but that's probably just my imagination.

I like it a lot!

I have two pix - got to see how to attach them here.

The Mivv GP looks great....and sounds even better! Thanks for letting us know the issues you had during install.

Bit late on this one!
Have you drilled the rivet / taken the baffle out? If so, how loud is the can (as in crazy loud, or just loud / deep) - thinking of drilling mine out, but bottled it so far.
Thanks,

Andrew.

Bit late on this one!
Have you drilled the rivet / taken the baffle out? If so, how loud is the can (as in crazy loud, or just loud / deep) - thinking of drilling mine out, but bottled it so far.
Thanks,

Andrew.

Just drill it out and remove the baffle to see what it's like. If you don't like it, refit the baffle and secure it with a 6mm bolt and nut.
That's what I did with my Mivv!

Back