Missing front gas tank bolt (gen 1)

Hi guys,

Had the bike for less than 24 hours and already have something for the forum.

Noticed today at lunch that the front tank bolt is missing. I heard a couple of clunks from the front of the bike as I was riding back to work from lunch and low and behold, missing tank bolt. I'm sure there are slightly less important bolts on the bike I can use to replace this temporarily (as in until I get to a yammie dealer or find a parts place here in austin that has the bolt in stock). Any suggestions on where to pilfer the bolt from?

Robin

I can't remember what the exact size was. Maybe Pilot8127 can remove his and measure it for you if you PM him. This is the bolt however if you want to order the correct piece from Partshark.com

bolt.jpg

Why pay dealer prices when you can source from hardware store...add a washer if you want to increase the surface area of the metric head.

For 2003-2005 it's a M8 X 1.25 - 12mm screw. 2001 and 2002 ran a different size screw, not sure of the size. If you have a 2003-2005 you could swipe a bolt that mounts the left side passenger peg bracket to the frame, it's a little long but it will fit and has the same kind of flange as the proper screw.

This is not that uncommon.
I had this happen to mine and in fact, this is what motivated me to start doing my own work on motorcycles again. Two trips to the shop to fine the mysterious rattling sound and every mechanic swore they tore the bike apart looking for it.
Don't forget the Loctite

t_lkr_blue.png

I suppose any thread lock will work but I have gotten to where I put this on just about all my bolts.

This is not that uncommon.
I had this happen to mine and in fact, this is what motivated me to start doing my own work on motorcycles again. Two trips to the shop to fine the mysterious rattling sound and every mechanic swore they tore the bike apart looking for it.
Don't forget the Loctite

t_lkr_blue.png

I suppose any thread lock will work but I have gotten to where I put this on just about all my bolts.

If you ever own a KLR 650 you better.:laugh2:

Thanks all for the replies. I've just got to find a place open after 5pm up here in north austin/cedar park that sells metric bolts/screws like that. Or i might beetle off at lunch and see what I can find. It's a brisk 42 degrees right now. That'll make for a refreshing time! haha.

Well got it figured out. $2 at fastenal for 2 bolts (i figure an extra one in the little tool kit isn't gonna hurt at all) and a little container of locktite.

If it's secured right (which it is NOW!), then that extra one will always be just that, an extra.

Good work and glad it do any damage...

Back