Memories of a bike long gone...

More pix coming soon

First, a big thanks to all who have posted pictures. These are all great bikes, and it's fun to see what everyone has ridden before (and even after) the FZ1/FZ6 etc.

I'm going to get some pictures this weekend of a Moto Guzzi that my Father-in-law just got. I'm not sure on the details yet, but it's a work in progress (all his bikes are). His bike right now is a Yamaha TW 200 just for scooting around town and hitting a few off-road trails.

Yamaha_tw_200cc.jpg

I'm also going to get pictures of my first bike, a red Yamaha 100cc enduro from around 1978.

Yea, that RZ350 is a beautiful bike and I'm sure even today it would be a fun bike. Unfortunately your chances of finding a really nice stock one are probably pretty slim, but you never know. Here in the US '85 was the last year they were imported and I can't even tell you when was the last time I saw one.

A good one in the UK goes for big money now, This orignal RD/RZ 350 LC when for £5,050 or $7,840 (See link below). But its in great condition. I wished I kept mine now, I traded it for a GPZ550 H2 if I remember correctly.

RD350LC RD 350 LC MINT L@@K MATCHING NUMBERS on eBay (end time 19-Aug-10 19:11:36 BST)

Steve

I started riding on an old Yamaha RD200, moved to a RD350 and then to a 1982 GPz750. Lost track of the bikes I have owned but here are a few.

88 YZF750R, Great bike and had a lot of track days on it. 2000 Softail, had a nice ride but huge lack of power. 2004 V-Rod, the best Harley I owned but had front end I never trusted.

Yea, that RZ350 is a beautiful bike and I'm sure even today it would be a fun bike. Unfortunately your chances of finding a really nice stock one are probably pretty slim, but you never know. Here in the US '85 was the last year they were imported and I can't even tell you when was the last time I saw one.

There are a few around in the UK but not many. I saw a very nice example on ebay last week and it went for £5050 or $7843. I was very tempted.

Steve

There are a few around in the UK but not many. I saw a very nice example on ebay last week and it went for £5050 or $7843. I was very tempted.

Steve

Well here really nice examples go for a little less as you can see:

Yamaha : KENNY ROBERTS: eBay Motors (item 320577588083 end time Aug-30-10 20:00:00 PDT)

Still they are not cheap and a nice RZ 500 goes for well over $10k.

Oh and I wouldn't mind this TZR ;) They were never street legal here :(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1992-Yamaha-TZR-Super-Sport-249cc-/260620393465?pt=UK_Motorcycles

Last edited:
Salt & pepper

Back in the day, I had a Honda 50 stepthrough, my friend Kenny had a Tohatsu. His was liscensed for the street, mine wasn't. So we'd go two up on his alot. I remember it had an odd tire size like a 20" on the front, and that was before the Brit stuff started having the odd front tires, then of course Honda's 23" enduro sizes. Well after wearing thin.......through the threads...... we'd put duct tape onside the casing and cut out pieces of bikr tires and tape them inside......:tdown: and thought nothing of 70 mph.....:th_smiley_rotfl2[1]:teeter: Well when the tire finally went, his mom got him a new Honda 50 with the high tank like the S90's of old. We were the odd crew in town at the time, his was the only black family in our town, but none of that mattered to us, we were too busy riding and having fun......hence we were called 'salt & pepper' more than once:tup:

Just managed to get my dream bike from the 80's. Its a RZV500R from Japan I picked it up last week. Its only one 4200 miles and is in very good condition. The brakes could do with improving though!
Steve

Congrats! That's one beautiful bike. I think most of us wouldn't mind owning such a fine bike. As for the brakes, unless you're looking to keep it all original, I'm sure there are some easy upgrades for them.

Two of my favorites, 87 FZR 1000 first really fast street bike I think the picture is from 89 or 90 and my 97 Triumph Daytona T595. The Daytona still holds a special place in my heart and I dearly miss it.

37633_433598582368_821242368_4736745_6777596_n.jpg

pic_1_013.jpg

This is the first bike I owned, a Suzuki GN400, man that was a long time ago. That bike got stolen and I found it on the street somewhere on my way home from work or school or something. So, I went home and got my key and started it up and drove it home. Before my wife and I moved to California for my first job out of school, I sold it to a friend from Europe.

Two of my favorites, 87 FZR 1000 first really fast street bike I think the picture is from 89 or 90 and my 97 Triumph Daytona T595. The Daytona still holds a special place in my heart and I dearly miss it.

My first street bike was an '88 FZR1000. Basically same as your '87, but blue and white. And yes that was one fast street bike back in the day ;) I remember my buddy on his ZX-11 could barely beat me in the 1/4 mile. He would always get me by like 1 or 2 bike lengths...damn...lol.

Back