Melted Gauges?

Gearhead82

I posted up my intro in the intro forum yesterday. I have a new to me '07 with 4200 miles. I noticed (after buying the bike) that the gauges are a little melted. Is this outer bevel easily replaced? Is this a common problem just from sitting out in the sun? Also do my gauges look like they're positioned correctly or are they sagging a little low?

I also have the vibration on that vent above the cluster. Looks like it's a common problem and the previous owner attempted a temp fix that didn't work. I'll probably try another temp fix and maybe tear it off and remount it over the winter.

My 07 has 10000 miles on it, I live in Texas and ride pretty every day, it sits in the sun 8 hours at work all the time, and my gauges look nothing like that. Weird!

Not normal at all. Looks like the PO had something there that got too hot. They do look slightly low.

The vent vibration is a common issue. We have some threads here explaining how people have fixed it. I pulled it off, put liquid nails on it and stuck it back on. Problem solved!

They do not sell the bezel complete. $339.00 for the whole speedo cluster. Sorry!

I took the windscreen off so I could get a better look at what was going on with that vent vibration. I read through the previous threads about it and I'm using the electrical tape fix until I can do something more permanent. Hmm, I sure wish I had noticed the gauges before I signed the paperwork. I probably could have got them to knock the price down a little. I'll have to do some more investigation. It doesn't bother me TOO bad. It's not as obvious as it looks in the pics but I would like to figure out why they're drooping.

looks more like a dent to me, who knows how it happened but sagging isnt normal.. It could be melted but it just looks like maybe something fell on it and dented the gauge and made it sag a little :/

My 2008 did not have that issue, have not seen that condition on other FZ1's either. I would guess something hot got close to the speedometer. Does the display function correctly?

We've seen this issue on several c14's over at the COG forum. Two types of burns were encountered. First was straight line burn marks on the side panels (similar to where the vents are on the fz1). I experienced this myself. It's been suggested this was caused by the shiny surface of the windshield acting as a lens under certain conditions and focusing the sunlight. The fix was to roughen up the edge of the windshield with sand paper so it didn't act like a prism.

The other type of melting/burn is what your pics show. This was very uncommon, but did happen to 1 or two members. I think their solution (after having the bezels replaced) was to place a towel over the dash when the bike is parked. Not much of a solution, nor do I recall the true cause ever being discovered. Suspect it might have something to do with aftermarket shields too.

Thanks for the replies. I know this was an issue with some of the early 5th Gen Honda VFR800s and that's why I was asking if it was common on these bikes. The vent above the cluster is also slightly melted/warped just above melted area on the cluster. It does have an aftermarket windscreen. It's a mystery for sure but everything functions correctly.

Is that bezel removable? In other words, if I found a used cluster on fleaBay, could I swap just that bezel so I wouldn't have to mess up the logged mileage by swapping the whole cluster?

After some research, it appears that some bikes suffered this phenomenon when they installed a Puig double bubble racing screen. I cannot find an FZ1 with the problem but other bikes have reported this happening. Is your screen a Puig DB?

After some research, it appears that some bikes suffered this phenomenon when they installed a Puig double bubble racing screen. I cannot find an FZ1 with the problem but other bikes have reported this happening. Is your screen a Puig DB?

Looks like he has an aftermarket touring screen - see here:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/main-lobby-new-member-section/8349-new-owner-member-ohio.html

I saw this on a California bike I found on eBay when I was searching for my FZ.
That bike was being sold at a Texas dealer & had a stock screen.

Honda 6th gen VFRs had this issue as well as the ST1300.
On the two Hondas, it was narrowed down to sunlight passing through the compound curves of the stock windscreen causing the dash to melt in places.
Just as GPz1100 stated above concerning the C14.

Missed the pics, thanks Aaron. Looks like a Cal Sci and not a Puig. I wonder if the OP originally had a Puig and then traded out for the one in the pics... maybe even for this very reason?

Missed the pics, thanks Aaron. Looks like a Cal Sci and not a Puig. I wonder if the OP originally had a Puig and then traded out for the one in the pics... maybe even for this very reason?

That's what I was wondering too. The windscreen looks to be very new. I can't think of anything else that could cause this damage in that specific area.

i think magical racing makes a overlay for cluster assy.

Great find. Thanks!

FZ1 FAZER Carbon Body Work | Magical Racing

meter_cover.jpg

Just a quick update. I was at the gym yesterday and just by chance actually met the original owner of the bike! He saw it parked outside and asked me about it. He sold it to the dealership on Friday and I bought it from the dealership on Saturday. I got a brief history of the bike.

He had no idea how the gauges got melted. He actually wasn't sure what I was talking about when I mentioned it. He went outside with me to look at them and said that he's pretty sure it had been that way for awhile and he didn't know what happened.

The bike has a few very light scratches on the right side fairing near the turn signal. He said that somebody backed into it and it fell in a parrking lot. I had figured as much.

Other than that he said he never had a single problem with the bike. He sold the bike because he's buying a house. He said he will probably end up buying a VMAX next year.

Back