Melted Gauges?

I had the same thing happen on my '07, but not as bad. I think it happened when I left a pair of sun glassed sitting up there, but I'm not sure. The meter cover is not available from Yamaha individually. It's ~$600 for a new meter. You best bet is to wait for the summer crash season and pick up another meter from a part out which is what I'm doing. I purchased a Magical Racing carbon fiber cover until that happens for me.

I had the same thing happen on my '07, but not as bad. I think it happened when I left a pair of sun glassed sitting up there, but I'm not sure. The meter cover is not available from Yamaha individually. It's ~$600 for a new meter. You best bet is to wait for the summer crash season and pick up another meter from a part out which is what I'm doing. I purchased a Magical Racing carbon fiber cover until that happens for me.

How does that Magical Racing cover fit? Does it just snap on over the top of the OEM cover or does it actually replace it?

How does that Magical Racing cover fit? Does it just snap on over the top of the OEM cover or does it actually replace it?

I'm going to guess it has some double-sided tape in it and it just covers what you already have.

They make the instrument clusters pretty much tamper-proof so I'm betting it would destroy the panel to take it apart. That has to be water-tight and weather-proof. ;)

Looks like a GREAT fix for your situation though! :tup:

hey gear head,if you just want a temp fix till winter,i stuuck a 2 inch long piece of3/8 rubber fuel line between the speedo and plastic vent thingy and comletely forgot about it till i read your post.sorry no help for the melting though,weird!

The Magical Racing meter cover is held on with 2-sided tape and it fits over the original. The stock cover for the meter does come off and is sealed with an o-ring. i simply use a long screw driver to remove the 3 screws holding the meter in the mount. Access is thru the slots under the bottom edge of the windscreen. Once the meter is removed, a small phillips head screw driver is all that is needed to remove the cover. The problem is that Yamaha does not sell it seperately.

I just purchased a used meter. I will likely be selling the MR carbon fiber cover. While it looks better than the melted stock cover, I have no other carbon fiber on my bike.

Hey GearHead - you are not alone! and if you think yours is bad, check out mine: Literally bubbled the plastic....
You guys were right about the complex curves of the screen having a magnafying glass effect. I installed Yamaha's factory tall screen and the melt down occured that very week (SoCal, 110 degrees). Well, great find on the carbon fiber cover plate, thanks!
CL034.jpg

I just purchased a used meter. I will likely be selling the MR carbon fiber cover. While it looks better than the melted stock cover, I have no other carbon fiber on my bike.

Hate to bring up an old thread, but this is the only thread I can find on this issue. Ive been looking on buying an FZ1 and looked at a bike with this exact issue. Was trying to figure out how this happened. Bike is perfect except for the melted meter so I was a bit skeptical and didn't pull the trigger.

When you replaced the meter, did your odometer reset? This is a bid deal to me incase it did.

Thanks,

-Alan

If you can find a second hand instrument cluster, the cover is easily replaceable. Just a few screws through from the back once you get it off the bike.

If it has the Yamaha touring windscreen, it is likely the cause. I seems to focus the sun onto the meter. I had one on my bike when it happened.

He had the stock windscreen on the bike but he also had an extra. He showed it to me and it looked like it was. I didn't look to close at it but it seemed to have the same "touring" shape.

It's caused by the windshield acting like a magnifying glass and heating up and melting the plastic. I've encountered the problem on a GL1500 that I had. I replaced the shield right after I purchased it so I never had any problem after that. When I worked at a Honda dealership in the 1980's we had a big problem with the Honda PC800 Pacific Coast melting the top of the dash cowling when people left them in the sun. Honda ended up blacking out the screen higher and that put an end to that problem. You might want to consider that if you notice happening again. I'm sure it's a rare occurance with just the right sun angle etc...

I've gotten used to putting a detailing towel between the gauge cluster and windscreen (magical) if the bike is sitting in the sun at all, after reading this thread around the time I got my bike a year ago. Its a worthy revival, lol. --MW

Agree with Loosenut and Blanchy, you can swap internals easily enough so keep an eye out for a used one.
Are both the front and back halves of the meter case melted?

Back