Me and the Harley crowd go to Delaware

Steve F

Hi All
I had a great 300+ mile ride on Friday. I’ve become friends with our town’s police chief. He has kids at the same school mine go to. Another one of the school dads rides but he doesn’t have a bike at the moment. He borrowed one from somebody. They invited me to do a ride to Delaware. They do it every year. They go down there for crab cakes and then come home. Hey, crab cakes are as good an excuse to ride as any!

I met them at police headquarters at 7:00. The ride was 5 Harleys and me on the FZ1. It was rainy but we decided to go anyway. I thought for sure we’d be in a downpour soon and the day would be done early. But the weather kept getting better.

You’ll all laugh for me saying this, but seriously, after riding with them all day I really appreciate my nice quiet stock muffler.

We took the back roads through the Jersey Pine Barrens almost all the way. Rt 563 is a great road as far as southern Jersey goes. We got on the Parkway around exit 3 and then caught the ferry to Lewes, Delaware. By this time the skies were partly sunny and it was great weather.

While waiting for the ferry we met a wise cracking attendant who saw me and said; “who let the café racer in here?” He was just making a friendly joke though.

The ferry was about a one and a quarter hour ride. We saw dolphins from the deck. I attached a picture. From there we went about 45 miles to a seafood place on the river. I forget the name but they were the best crab cakes I ever had in my life.

Then it was the trip home. We didn’t do the ferry back. We took the Delaware memorial Bridge back into NJ. Along the way we stopped in at Mikes Famous Harley Davidson. Pics attached.

When we got near Princeton the skies were looking really bad. There were huge puddles everywhere. We must have just missed some horrendous storms. It was mostly a nice ride back but we did hit some traffic. When we got close to home the skies were again looking like huge storms were about to hit any second. But they didn’t. I’m still amazed at that. All our wives thought for sure we were stuck in some serious rain. The FZ needed a good cleaning which I gave it over a few beers.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on having some nice people to ride with, as it is just as difficult to find people on any type of motorcycle. Glad your trip was good, and for the most part dry.

Like the first pic with your FZ1 being in front of the overpriced rides as well!:flip:them!!

And...of course you love the stock muffler after riding with that noise all day.

Love the cobalt '07! :woot: Sounds like a great ride (not to mention the crab cakes). Hardly Movinson's are about all I have to ride with too (maybe a few metric cruisers and a few gold wings). Hey, as long as I'm on the good bike, I don't care! :nana:

Thanks for the pics and the story.

Oh Yes, Definitely. The NJ, NY, Pa & whomever FZ1-Forum.com crew needs to do a ride this summer. I'll post something to get it started after 7/4 weekend.

Back