Maybe you guys will be interested too...

I just posted this on the FZ6 forum:

FZ1 Versus FZ6

Saturday I sold my FZ6 after putting about 1,500 miles on it. It was always an interim project bike for me, but I really liked that bike. It was energetic, comfortable and forgiving.

I bought a 2008 FZ1 Saturday and have about 80 miles on it. I’ve been obeying the break-in procedure, so I really have not gotten on it.

Getting to this point I test rode a 2008 Ducati S2R. So I can contrast that a little also.

Ergonomics/Feel

The FZ1 is definitely taller, I’m 5’-10” and now I’m on my toes (not uncomfortably so though). It pulls you more forward, and as the tank is wider, I feel a little more stretched over it (The prone seating on the S2R is even more exaggerated)

The FZ6 is probably more comfortable just to sit on. Both are great at speed and feel pretty similar.

The FZ6 feels a little smaller and quite a bit lighter. The FZ1 tank feels wider, it is right there and you have to hug it to ride the bike.

I feel better on the freeway. I’m a little bigger, and much more quick.

Sound

At low rpms, the FZ1 utters a low growl. It’s a little too loud, but lots of you folks would like it. At higher rpms, it sounds a lot like the FZ6.

Handling

The FZ1 suspension is superior. Period. Fully adjustable inverted forks. I never liked the mushy front end of the FZ6.

The mono shock is stiffer. I had the FZ6 set to 6. The FZ1 is set at it’s factory setting feels about as stiff, maybe more. Apparently there is also a mono shock rebound damping force adjustment.

I have not really got in to it because of the break-in (both me and the bike), but the FZ1 handles great. Pick a line and take it.

Transmission

The FZ1 is smoother than the FZ6. I kinda struggled with missing the shift to second from first on the FZ6. The dealers told me the transmissions were similar, but the FZ1 feels better, smoother.

The Ducati has both beat, that transmission felt like a Swiss watch.

Motor/Power

All you want. Any gear, any speed the thing accelerates, quickly. This bike can be scary. I think it could outrun the Ducati.

The FZ1 runs as smooth as the FZ6. Both are way more smooth than the S2R.

I think the FZ1 pulls as hard from low rpms as the S2R. Both the FZ1 and S2R pull maybe twice, three times, more than the FZ6. The FZ1 is capable of hard acceleration.

The FZ1 top end is apparently about 170mph.

The FZ1 throttle does not have that annoying lurch as you just open it.

I’ll miss my FZ6. I was really worried about screwing the pooch on this deal. Have you heard the story about the guy that kept polishing his prize figurine until he broke the arm off? I always worry when I want to improve on something as good as the FZ6 is.

We’ll see.

Back