Magneto issue?

I recently aquired a 2003 fz1 from a guy off ebay and I've had a couple hiccups since I got it. Right now the issue I am working on has to do with either the magneto or the wiring somewhere in the bike. Basically while the bike is running, it's running off the battery, and after maybe 3 to 4 hours of ride time, first the gauges and lights will shut off, and shortly after the bike will shut off with the battery being dead. The battery is brand new and through testing it outside of the bike it works great. And while the bike sits there is no drain on the battery. I just got back from a 5 week vacation in Colorado and the bike started right up after not having ran or been charged in 5 weeks. So for some reason, when the bike is running the battery is draining, and not being trickle charged. Any suggestions?

You need to put a volt meter across the battery whilst bike is running to see if you have any sort of charge being put back , you should see around 14 to 14.5 volts. .. if you only see battery voltage (12v) then I would look at the voltage rectifyer/regulator as my first suspect

Last edited:
I recently aquired a 2003 fz1 from a guy off ebay and I've had a couple hiccups since I got it. Right now the issue I am working on has to do with either the magneto or the wiring somewhere in the bike. Basically while the bike is running, it's running off the battery, and after maybe 3 to 4 hours of ride time, first the gauges and lights will shut off, and shortly after the bike will shut off with the battery being dead. The battery is brand new and through testing it outside of the bike it works great. And while the bike sits there is no drain on the battery. I just got back from a 5 week vacation in Colorado and the bike started right up after not having ran or been charged in 5 weeks. So for some reason, when the bike is running the battery is draining, and not being trickle charged. Any suggestions?

Definitely sounds like rectifier. I had the same exact issue with a vstar I used to have. Found one on Ebay for like $30 and it fixed the problem.

Back