lugging the fz1's engine

Its official; cruising in 4th gear under 3000rpm is lugging the engine, ill explain; I was going up a hill at 2500rpm, opened the throttle just slightly (not WOT or 1/2 throttle) and I could hear the engine clanky noises as if bearings and conrods were rattling, another noticable giveaway was the fact that the rpm was rising very slowly compared to normal.

Rant over lol..

Well, opening the throttle to accelerate up a hill isn't exactly "cruising" so not sure if I agree. :)

I "cruise" in 4th around my neighborhood all the time, and it's never a problem. It will hold a steady speed down there easily, but yeah I wouldn't want to accelerate very hard down there. It's a high-perf 4-banger, not a Harley! heheh

Well, opening the throttle to accelerate up a hill isn't exactly \"cruising\" so not sure if I agree. :)

I \"cruise\" in 4th around my neighborhood all the time, and it's never a problem. It will hold a steady speed down there easily, but yeah I wouldn't want to accelerate very hard down there. It's a high-perf 4-banger, not a Harley! heheh

when I go up the hill in 3rd gear at 3000rpm; and then open the throttle (1/2 throttle), you get instant acceleration *even up a hill* with no dodgy engine noises or anything. the only downside with 3rdgear/3000rpm is the engine overheats very quickly. so what im saying is although 4th gear/2500rpm "may not" be lugging the engine on a flat road, under load the engine quickly comes out of its comfort zone and is being overly stressed..

Well makes sense...in 4th gear there is less torque multiplication than in 3rd gear. When placing a load on the engine (going up the hill) you need more torque so you should just shift down to 3rd gear...pretty simple actually ;)

or ya love to hear the engine wound up and don't hit 4th until you are above 65+.....plenty of hills that I climb with no problems :tup:

Last edited:
My GSX-R1000 I used to own had ridiculously tall gearing; I think it did something like 107 in first gear. How stupid for street riding. These race gear boxes all have such tight ratios, it's so lame for the street, where 99% of them are ridden exclusively.

Even my FZ1 is that way to a degree; each shift barely changes the RPM. I'd rather have a shorter 1st gear and wider spaced ratios.

Oh well, such is the way selling bikes. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

Back