Luggage

RI_Grinch

Ok so I haven't even gotten my bike home but im already considering mods...First thing I want to do is get luggage racks. What do you guys suggest for panniers. I know I would like a hard case setup.

Givi is probable your best option, maybe not the cheapest though.

Yea, I agree. Givi is going to be hard to beat. Keep an eye out on eBay and the forums for mounting kits and cases if you want to save some money.

By the way I have the Givi V35 cases on my Gen II and they work great, but don't fit a Gen I.

+1 @ Givi! I have the top rack with V46 top case and the quick release side racks with V35 cases. Absolutely LOVE my setup!

I definitely think that the Givi's is the best. SW Motech or other Givi knock offs are pretty nice but I just couldn't bring myself to drop that much coin on luggage.
I picked up a Wolfman's Dry Duffle bag for $50 and I use straps to tie them down. I already had the straps so the set up cost me right at $50. I'm in no way saying this is the "Best" set up. I'm just saying that it's hard to beat for the money.

If you only use luggage on a limited basis and don't need to carry anything too big or heavy and want a quick transition with the look of no bags when not using them, the SW-Motech Bags-Connection Blaze sport saddlebag system works well. Here's the link for the FZ1/FZ8.

I have them and they worked great for a short 2-3 day trip with the wife. I didn't even need a tank bag. They are expandable if needed and have interior rain bags. What I like the most is how quickly they go on and come off, maybe 1-2 minutes at most.

Last edited:
i personally have been looking at Bags-Connection panniers.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PVgBKaRvGA]Bags-Connection Sport Panniers - YouTube[/ame]

I've been watching eBay for a while for a set of Givi bags and hardware, but so far, all the listings have been out of the price range that I'm willing to pay. I don't "need" a set of luggage until the Spring, but I started looking at alternate systems in the event that I decide to go with something else.

I really like the Bags-Connection setup (possibly more than the Givi). I commute to work, but don't really need to carry that much stuff, and the ease with which the mounting rails come off is attractive. Mostly I would use the side bags/panniers for longer overnight trips, and being able to "clean up" the bike for everyday use seems like a big advantage.

The lower price for the soft bags frees up some budget for a tank bag as well, which I think would be perfect for 75% of the riding that I do.

The question that occurs to me is how much weight can those Bags-Connection panniers reasonably hold? Could I put a gallon of milk in one side without damaging anything? Would the bars hold up under that amount of stress? Are they big enough for a laptop, which can be useful on a multi-night trip?

I've been watching eBay for a while for a set of Givi bags and hardware, but so far, all the listings have been out of the price range that I'm willing to pay. I don't "need" a set of luggage until the Spring, but I started looking at alternate systems in the event that I decide to go with something else.

I really like the Bags-Connection setup (possibly more than the Givi). I commute to work, but don't really need to carry that much stuff, and the ease with which the mounting rails come off is attractive. Mostly I would use the side bags/panniers for longer overnight trips, and being able to "clean up" the bike for everyday use seems like a big advantage.

The lower price for the soft bags frees up some budget for a tank bag as well, which I think would be perfect for 75% of the riding that I do.

The question that occurs to me is how much weight can those Bags-Connection panniers reasonably hold? Could I put a gallon of milk in one side without damaging anything? Would the bars hold up under that amount of stress? Are they big enough for a laptop, which can be useful on a multi-night trip?

Well I doubt you'll ever find a bargain on Givi V35s on eBay (at least that has been my experience). I only invested around $700 on my complete Givi V35 setup (side cases and quick release side mounts). A good option for you might be to just get a top mount case for securing valuable items and in addition use soft bags for the longer trips.

I've been toying with the idea of a top bag, but I'm not a big fan of the appearance. I have considered picking up a "spare" seat and doing the mod to add a pelican bag or something like that for secure storage but that has the potential to be even "uglier" than a more finished case.

I've been toying with the idea of a top bag, but I'm not a big fan of the appearance. I have considered picking up a "spare" seat and doing the mod to add a pelican bag or something like that for secure storage but that has the potential to be even "uglier" than a more finished case.

Oh I hear you on the appearance part of it, but it's easily removable and the bracket that is left behind doesn't look that bad.

In reference to the Bags-Connection Blaze bags (which I own for the FZ1), I would never put a gallon of milk in mine, but a laptop shouldn't be a problem unless it's a really huge screen. These are top open, as I'm sure it shows in the video. It's really nice to be able to open them and nothing falls out, but if something is on the bottom, it can be difficult to get to. As with all soft bags, the expansion material is thinner and more flexible than the standard material, so with the expansions open, they get slightly floppy if not packed a little tightly. I think these work for 90% of what I need, and the rest I'll make due until I can get an FJR or Connie 14. :smokin2:

One mistake I made when I installed them was when it called for the blue lock-tite I didn't use it, so some nuts vibrated loose and fell off. : oops: I replaced them with nuts with the nylon locks and it's all good now. :noworries:

One other thing is these don't have any heat reflectors on the bottom, so depending on what exhaust you have it could be an issue. I still have the stock exhaust, and the bag gets slightly warm from the exhaust, but never hot. I do tend to load the bags with that in mine. Edibles go on the non-exhaust side too. These bags connect over the top of the rear seat with a strong velcro strap which is meant to hold all the weight. The side bars are only meant for stabilization, not to hold any weight.

For $300, I've been very happy and am considering a set for my wife's '09 Ninja 250r. They weren't available for the Ninja 250 when I first ordered mine. I'm sure the bags and mounts are all the same, they just bend the support bars in a different direction to fit the contours of the bike. I'd recommend these bags for anything short of long trips or heavy items.

In reference to the Bags-Connection Blaze bags...
For $300, I've been very happy and am considering a set for my wife's '09 Ninja 250r. They weren't available for the Ninja 250 when I first ordered mine. I'm sure the bags and mounts are all the same, they just bend the support bars in a different direction to fit the contours of the bike. I'd recommend these bags for anything short of long trips or heavy items.

That's great to know... all good information. I somehow imagined that there was also a side-open zipper in addition to the top-open one, but I see now that is just for the bag expansion.

In reference to being good for anything but a long trip, what do you consider long? I'm planning a six- or seven-day trip in 2012 (Michigan to Maine), and these would be my primary baggage. I tend to pack pretty light, and have no problem spending an evening at a laundromat, but still need to have enough room for several days of clothes and a change of shoes. Seems like 42 liters would be more than sufficient (I think I have about 16 in the bags on my old Shadow that did a similar trip last year).

I too have the stock muffler on my FZ1, so I'm glad to hear that they don't get too hot. I suppose that some heat-reflective tape/insulation on the bottom of the bag would eliminate any lingering concerns about melting them. On the up-side, a couple of potatoes in the bottom of the bag would bake nicely on a long ride, offering a good snack in the middle of the day (and more riding time as a result)!

That's great to know... all good information. I somehow imagined that there was also a side-open zipper in addition to the top-open one, but I see now that is just for the bag expansion.

There is a horizontal zipper on the side which is for a very thin outer pocket that only seems good for papers. There is the large zipper that goes about 1.25x's around the sides of the bags that are just for expansion.

In reference to being good for anything but a long trip, what do you consider long? I'm planning a six- or seven-day trip in 2012 (Michigan to Maine), and these would be my primary baggage. I tend to pack pretty light, and have no problem spending an evening at a laundromat, but still need to have enough room for several days of clothes and a change of shoes. Seems like 42 liters would be more than sufficient (I think I have about 16 in the bags on my old Shadow that did a similar trip last year).

I went on a 2 day 1 night trip with the wife. I was fine with my stuff and had extra room with out expanding the bags and no tank bag. The wife was on her Ninja 250r and had a small to medium tank bag and a decent sized cube shaped trunk attached to the back seat (fits one helmet if expanded at the bottom). I think I'd need a large tank bag to supplement these bags for a week long trip, and I figure you'd need to stop at a laundromat even with a Goldwing for that long. :confused0024: I always try to make everything fit in the unexpanded bags to start, because on the way back I can never make it fit back in right, but that's just me. As long as you don't have anything very heavy or large in one direction, I think you could make it with these bags. One other thing, I don't know that they lower you gas mileage much, but I can't say for sure.

I too have the stock muffler on my FZ1, so I'm glad to hear that they don't get too hot. I suppose that some heat-reflective tape/insulation on the bottom of the bag would eliminate any lingering concerns about melting them. On the up-side, a couple of potatoes in the bottom of the bag would bake nicely on a long ride, offering a good snack in the middle of the day (and more riding time as a result)!

Yeah, the right side bag was always fine, just a mild warm compared to the left. Not even an issue. I only mentioned it because I expected some reflective insulation on the bottom sides and there wasn't any. I know many here have non-stock exhaust, and some are positioned differently than stock, so it should be a consideration.

I expect to see some pictures posted from your trip (unlike myself and my trip :disapproval:) Maybe I'll make a thread on mine too, now that old man winter has forced me to garage my beast. :frown: Good luck with the luggage thing. If I was making a 7 day trip, I think I'd look for some hard luggage... with an FJR or Connie 14 attached :hook2: ;)

You think you could put about 15-20lbs worth of crap in each side bag using the SW motech system?

I am wondering if I am better off building some sort of a support system for my Nelson Riggs bags, or if I should just get the Blaze Sport saddlebags. I think the Nelson Riggs that I own currently will hold more stuff than the blaze sport though. I enjoy the space.

You think you could put about 15-20lbs worth of crap in each side bag using the SW motech system?

I am wondering if I am better off building some sort of a support system for my Nelson Riggs bags, or if I should just get the Blaze Sport saddlebags. I think the Nelson Riggs that I own currently will hold more stuff than the blaze sport though. I enjoy the space.

I'm currently 6 days into a roughly ten day trip and I have the Blaze saddlebags. I stuffed these bags to gills while using the expansion but was able to carry everything I needed without a tank/tail bag. If you don't mind hitting a laundromat, these are great bags for longer trips as well as commuting.

I don't mind being a tad dirty on a longer trips so I wear my jeans and pack lots of socks, underwear and t-shirts. I also packed rain gear (full suit) tire repair kit, first aid kit, Plexus, and chain lube. A 15" laptop will fit in these bags but you will not be able to zip the cover closed.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?i5tnd5

Blaze Sport

I must say I have had these bags for about 2 months and I really cant say enough about them. I love them. To me they are in a class of they're own. When removed the bike is returned to near stock in seconds. I commute with them every day and I have had quite a bit of weight in them. I had two 1 gallon jugs of oil in each side the other day. Probably my favorite part and what separates them fron other soft bags is that they dont suffer being partially loaded or even empty. I have been well over a 100mph with these things empty and I saw no ill effects. I have an aftermarket exhaust and I have about an 1 1/4" of clearance empty. Loaded full that shrinks to about 3/4". That gives you an idea of what a load does to the sag. Honestly a 9 out of 10 from me.

Back