lowering handle bars

Gian T. Balls

Well now that my bike is all (mostly) one color. I'm getting back to the mods I was planing on. I didn't like how hight the bars where. I sometimes feel like I'm riding an enduro. With the two stroke power band and all. I know there are other shorter risers. But I like doing things myself. So found a extra set of rizers and I cut a 1/2" out of the center. I'll be installing it later today, time permiting. Then I will post more picturs.
On a sad note, I killed the Perilli's that I disliked so much. I know they were getting thin, but wasn't going to change them for another week or two. But as I was doing a Seat Dyno test after some PC3 tuning. I got it back in the garage to see a metal stirp down the middle.
I only did two passes up to 3ed. The second one was a roll on in 3ed. But dam thing gets it purdy guud...lol:sport12:

I got a lot lower with the pro taper mounts. At least a couple inches lower, judging by your photo.

Suzuki SV650 risers are a popular mod to lower the handle bars on the FZ1, but I see that what you cut off should do the trick as well.

I like doing things myself as well, but a like KISS method. I ride dirtbikes and have lots of parts left-over from mods and repairs. The stock 7/8 inch handlebar clamps from most dirtbikes are fairly easy to come by. I used washers to figure out the bar height that I like. I plan to have spacers milled next time at near a lathe, but it looks fine as it is.

GTB, you had the red front faring didn't you? what have you got now, you painted it? Come on......lets see........ :) Yea, its time to get the tires right guys, it's goin'a be time to get on the gas.....soon....! Mabe something at Flanders Company, Motorcycle Handelbars In Chrome, 7/8" & 1", Replacement Brake & Clutch Levers For Dirt Bikes, Street Bikes, ATV/Quads, Scooters And All Accessories For Motorcycles and ATVs, Offroad Products, Dual Sport Products, Motorcycle Handelba they have hundereds of bends and both chrome and black bars, just an option.

Last edited:
Mike, those mounts look low. But I think mine are even a little lower.

How's the new shock?

I see that there are more guys lowering their bars to get the "clip-on" feel to their bikes and I wonder if that's what the intension is why not ust get some R1 items and do the real deal. And, out of curiosity, how often and how many miles do the "low-boys" ride? I try for 12-15,000 miles a year and although I have had bikes with the very low bar height, I never got more than a couple hundred miles out of a ride without feeling like I had been on the back of a camel. How do you do it?

I was looking at the Pro taper's, and the Suzuki clamps. As well as I asked a friend if I could get his old clamps off his dirt bike. But found an extra set of stock clamps for 10 bucks on ebay. Took me an hour to drill, cut and clean them up on the mill. I can even take off the bottom section to go even lower.

Next I'm on the drawing board is some rear set's. That may take a little more time, as I'll have to get off my ass and go to the get the metal.

Ok and here's a few pic's of the 3 phase's of my transformation...lol.

#1. My stock bars are as low as possible without hitting the tank or smashing my thumbs. I have to be careful moving it around the garage or I'll smash my fingers. (remember...keep fingertips on the levers)

#2. The shock is still good, but I still need a good weekend day free of rain (and honey do's) to flog it properly. What amazes me with the current set-up is that the ride is smooth on these crappy roads. I commuted to work today.

#3. At 5'6" tall, my lowered bars make the bike more comfortable overall for me. I set-up allows me to ride out a tank of gas non-stop without any ergonomic comfort issues. I'm lucky to live close to many great roads. My mod cost me a packet of stainless steel washers and some bolts. About $6 total.

Loosenut

Last edited:
I'm using some GZ250 risers that I picked up from Ebay cheap - they're the shortest 7/8" risers I could find. And I can still go to full lock without hitting the tank (even with my Rizoma bar CD screen, too.)

P1020042.jpg

P1020043.jpg

P1020258-1.jpg

derj, did those mounting bolts fit the bushings without drilling? If so, those are way better than mine, in terms of ease. Just as low as my pro taper's, I think, or very close.

I see that there are more guys lowering their bars to get the "clip-on" feel to their bikes and I wonder if that's what the intension is why not ust get some R1 items and do the real deal. And, out of curiosity, how often and how many miles do the "low-boys" ride? I try for 12-15,000 miles a year and although I have had bikes with the very low bar height, I never got more than a couple hundred miles out of a ride without feeling like I had been on the back of a camel. How do you do it?

I didn't wan't to go that low.. Just a bit lower. I still want to be able to adjust the forks for comute and fun settings.

Most of the Pro taper bar's I've seen have a 2" rize. So not sure it would be much of a change for the money.
I really would love to get the Suburban Machinery bars. But @ 160 + I'll stick
with the cut down stock rizers.

Last edited:
derj, did those mounting bolts fit the bushings without drilling? If so, those are way better than mine, in terms of ease. Just as low as my pro taper's, I think, or very close.

No drilling - lined up perfect. I did buy longer bolts, but that was $3 at Home Depot...

I just need to find a good power coater to get these (and a few other items) blacked out.

No drilling - lined up perfect. I did buy longer bolts, but that was $3 at Home Depot...

I just need to find a good power coater to get these (and a few other items) blacked out.

Your method is the way to go. I had to drill for the pro tapers. PIA. Nice find!

I think mods should make your idea into a sticky low bar mod. The only easy thing about the pro tap is that they're black!

Thanks, those are a good price. You know this, the pro taper goes from 1 inch to 7/8. So the mounts want the one inch bar. The bigger bolts had me drilling out the Yam OEM bushings.

The idea with the 1inch/ to 7/8 got rid of the crossbar, I guess. Didn't want the cross on the FZ as I needed the room for sti and mirrors, etc.

Back