lowering fz1

has anyone had there bike lowered? If so what do you recommend. pros and cons. here in fl at times it can get windy being pushed around alot. I figured by lowering bike it would be more aerodynamic. well just curious if anyone had anything thanks.

That certainly is a new reason for lowering I have not heard before. :poke:
If you can flat foot the bike as is, I wouldnt bother lowering it...and thats coming from someone who lowered theirs.

If wind is your problem, lowering isn't the fix, reducing your side exposure is and I don't see much of a fix for that. I've driven through some hellacious winds and the best bet is to head into or with them. If you can't do that at least hit them at 45 degrees. Sometimes there just plain isn't a thing you can do. If your route is 90 degrees to the wind you are just plain screwed.

If wind is your problem, lowering isn't the fix, reducing your side exposure is and I don't see much of a fix for that. I've driven through some hellacious winds and the best bet is to head into or with them. If you can't do that at least hit them at 45 degrees. Sometimes there just plain isn't a thing you can do. If your route is 90 degrees to the wind you are just plain screwed.

Ain't that the truth! I've been in crosswinds last November that were easily 40mph. It wouldn't have mattered how low or high the bike was in my opinion. If your feet are nearly planted at a stop then your okay.

like others... I don't think lowering would stop the wind problem... if anything, I think it would make the problem worse... right now, you have 8" or so of air flowing under the bike... if you decrease that... that wind isn't going under the bike anymore...

if you have side fairings on the bike, you could take those off, and let the air pass between the frame and the engine...

Other than that... I don't think you could do much to cut down on side to side wind flow..

well i definately understand some of those florida winds. especially if your riding the freeway a lot. there are some hard gust up there but the bike being lowered isn't the prob. hate to say it "rider" .relax those arms, keep the weight completely off your hands.. even if your completely relaxed , sometimes those hard winds will make you tense right up.. exactly what you shouldn't do. just relax enjoy the ride..oh ya i know all about those unintentional lane change .. :lol:

I also Live in FL. Lowered my wifes FZ1 got the lowering link from Cycle One-Off. He has 1'' or 2'' very easy to install.

I have the 2in lowering link on my 06 and I also slid the forks up 1 1/2 maybe more.
I done it for dragracing but I do ride it like that on the street and in new mexico winds its still the same in the wind.

Back