Lower fairing kit - do or don't do?

No vibrations or rattles on my wife's bike. :tup: I can tell you it's not as simple as it looks though!

Going to be b*tch to change the oil too.... :(

I assume you installed yours ... How long/how tough? I have basic mechanical knowledge ...

Mechanically, it wasn't too bad. You will have to drill two holes in the bottom of your upper fairing. It's a good idea to have another set of hands ready for that because you'll want them to push hard on the side to close the gap as much as possible to mark the hole for drilling. It all bolts up fairly nice but when it comes to putting in the front signals, it's also a bear to get them set in properly. It took me about 1.5 hours total.

BTW, you'll need R1 sliders. We have links here showing which ones to buy with the offset brackets for the fairings. :D Take a look in the build thread for my wife's FZ1. :tup:

My purely personal opinion. Go with the chin spoiler, not the full fairing.
Reasons: Plastic is expensive and then expensive to replace when damaged. Chin spoiler offers that finished look w/o so much plastic. Potentially more buzzes to find and silence. More steps involved in maintenance work. :2cents:

Mechanically, it wasn't too bad. You will have to drill two holes in the bottom of your upper fairing. It's a good idea to have another set of hands ready for that because you'll want them to push hard on the side to close the gap as much as possible to mark the hole for drilling. It all bolts up fairly nice but when it comes to putting in the front signals, it's also a bear to get them set in properly. It took me about 1.5 hours total.

BTW, you'll need R1 sliders. We have links here showing which ones to buy with the offset brackets for the fairings. :D Take a look in the build thread for my wife's FZ1. :tup:

No vibrations or rattles on mine, but yes oil changes will definitely take longer now. I left the drilling at the bottom of the upper for last. Just bolted the fairings in place and drilled the holes by holding the fairing in place. Relatively easy and straightforward...One benefit is that you get slightly better wind protection on the highway.

Polestar ... see you have a G2 throttle tamer ... benificial?

Yes. During start-ups, cornering and in traffic I have better control over power delivery. I doubt the difference is going to startle anyone, but it's noticeable and effective. Reduction of input to acceleration is limited to the first half of the throttles rotational distance. The second half actually ramps up power delivery so the full throttle rotation is the same as stock. One might think the second half of rotation might bring power on too quickly? However, I find when I'm in that part of the throttle, I'm wanting as much speed as fast as possible. It's a well engineered device. I also like the fact it's a simple mechanical device I can understand. I'm mostly befuddled by circuits and programming; even though I know they've improved motor vehicles greatly. :sport12:

Maybe he wants an FZ1 with a fairing kit. Yamaha did offer them from the factory so I guess you could say he is getting the bike he wants in the first place.

Yamaha%20Fazer%20GT%2009%20%203.jpg

Looks great. I would love to find a set in red, however every link I have seen posted goes to obsolete parts that are unavailable. :(

Trust me, the only way your gonna find a set is from someone who is selling theirs. It took me almost three years but I finally scored a set and had to get the hardware from a second purchase. They do come up for sale every now and then so keep looking. You'll love the look once it's on. Good luck.

I have the plastics (in Mystic Purple Mica) but zero hardware. ;) Shipping is a bear... they are large and awkward so they require a big box to ship them. We all know what that does to the shipping cost.

Back