low speed lowside

Do any of you have pics of a low speed low side with frame sliders on. Someone I know had lowside and the sliders didnt do much, just folded the bolt over. What we are trying to figure out is if maybe the speed was too low for the slider to actually slide and it just grabbed folding the bolt over.
It may sound like a bit of a reach but we can't seem to come up with any other ideas that make more sense.

When I was researching frame sliders there was some commentary that if the frame slider was one that had an aluminum frame inside the puck that it would be too rigid and catch imperfections in the road and bending ass opposed to sliding. The argument that was made was for a slider that had only an alumium base and then the slider be made out of a softer plastic like delrin. With that, if the slider did catch it would rip the delrin off and still slide on the bolt.

Just food for thought.

Just had a low side abour a month ago and the frame siders and swing arm sliders save the bike from expensive damage. Speed was only about 25-30 mph. The slider ground the end of the puck down and it did bend the bolt a bit but was still OK. The big thing with frame sliders is not to buy cheap. The only damage to the bike was the lower cowl, bent shifter and a damaged lower cowl. The best sliders have a steel body with a replaceable end. The chesp plastic ones are pretty much pointless except to hold up your leg on longer rides.

so im the person sebastian mentioned above..... i had a low speed low side about a month ago - a lady cut me off, i slowed down but then she slammed on her brakes to turn left without her signal, i ended up panic braking and locking up my front around 15mph and the bike was on the ground instantly.... here are pics of the damage -- i dislocated my shoulder but the bike is ridable now after replacing the left case plug/o ring and bending the shift peg back into place. damage to the slider sebastian made is attached also. to me it seems like i was going slow enough that the peg came down with not enough forward momentum, so it bit with the weight of the bike above it and just bent the bolt..... luckily the threads in my frame are ok, and the stock bolt threads in just fine -- one of the pics shows where some of the aluminum of the frame might be bent a bit --- should i worry about this?

my handlebars are definitely bent -- i may need to make a diff thread about this but any advice on replacing them? i didnt mind the stock setup but it would be nice to get some cool black bars or something slightly more aggressive --- or does anyone have stock handlebars i could get from them for cheapo? same goes for the shifter pedal -- it seems like to remove just the pedal u need to pop a rivet to get the peg off and that seems like a hassle -- anyone know much about getting the R1 shifter assembly/linkage onto the fz1? i figure damaged parts present my opportunity to improve the bike.

luckily i already have a spare tank and the bike isnt too damaged, i hope to have it up to its former glory soon. thanks in advance for ur help guys.

so im the person sebastian mentioned above..... i had a low speed low side about a month ago - a lady cut me off, i slowed down but then she slammed on her brakes to turn left without her signal, i ended up panic braking and locking up my front around 15mph and the bike was on the ground instantly.... here are pics of the damage -- i dislocated my shoulder but the bike is ridable now after replacing the left case plug/o ring and bending the shift peg back into place. damage to the slider sebastian made is attached also. to me it seems like i was going slow enough that the peg came down with not enough forward momentum, so it bit with the weight of the bike above it and just bent the bolt..... luckily the threads in my frame are ok, and the stock bolt threads in just fine -- one of the pics shows where some of the aluminum of the frame might be bent a bit --- should i worry about this?

The main reason I do`nt use sliders,I worry they could do more harm than good, bending frame,breaking out a piece of the motor, etc. I have my bike insured and if more damage is caused by a aftermarket part it may cause problems with the insurance company:shame:

Here is what I did on the sliders. They are 2" delrin turned down to about 1.75" they are 3.5" long. The aluminum is 6061 turned down to just under sized to fit into the hole in the frame, and pressed into the delrin about 1". The bolts are black oxide coated 12.9 grade. I took a factory slider off her fz8 and copied the design but made them longer like the t rex sliders.

harrisch, check out a std steel bar in a SUPERBIKE bend. Mine is black, works great for me and is about $20. BIKE MASTER sells them.

Nothing is perfect, even sliders. Nothin is gonna cover all the bases. Mine have covered me a some tip overs.

Last edited:
The previous owner of my bike had a low speed slide off with a new back tyre on.

The sliders did their job but one of the bikes engines side cases got scratched so I added engine sliders as well as frame sliders.

Will take a picture later.

Look at the protection in my sig, all bases covered I hope...

Sliders can save you but it's not guaranteed. To many factors to take into account to tell you what went wrong. From the damage on the tank I would assume the bike was not that slow, looks like more than 15 mph. Anyway the road surface plays a major role and if it is a panic brake the bike drops much further then when the tire let go while leaned over in a curve.

I tipped my bike twice over and once there was only a slight scratch and nothing else but the frame slider bent very slightly. The second time it fell into mud/stone on a shoulder I stopped to take photo. There was some stones in the mud and that damaged the cowl. Well i think the sliders did help in this case as well but usually they are best when falling leaned over and you slide over smooth road. In case you encounter rips or tears in the road, well they might cause the bike to tumble and than you can have more damage than without. That said I would always use some from what I heard from friends and fellow MCs they help much more than they hurt.

The bolt was steel, right?
If so, it looks like it's just luck how and where you landed. The slider may have caught a depression/shallow hole in the road - nothing you can do about it - or plan for.
The frame looks OK.

Went down at 60mph after some asshole deliberately swerved his car at me and came within inches of nailing me...

Using T-Rex Frame and Front Axle Sliders and Shimona Rear AXLE Slider Spools

2012-03-18_14-55-58_139.jpg

2012-03-18_14-56-25_981.jpg

2012-03-18_14-57-36_264.jpg

2012-03-18_14-57-44_911.jpg

2012-03-18_14-57-55_536.jpg

2012-03-18_14-58-08_184.jpg

2012-03-18_14-58-11_646.jpg

2012-03-18_14-58-15_56.jpg

2012-03-18_14-58-20_427.jpg

2012-03-18_14-58-30_700.jpg

2012-03-18_14-59-00_683.jpg

My buddies after a 70mph lowside with no sliders

100_0065.jpg

100_0066.jpg

100_0068.jpg

100_0069.jpg

100_0070.jpg

100_0071.jpg

100_0072.jpg

After this happened we actually took the body off of my bike, did a little sanding and then repainted it. It is now my buddies bike and you can't even tell it was ever wrecked!

That's fricken brutal! Your bike isn't too bad considering the speed but your buddies wow. Looks like he's still riding it (primer on tank). Why didn't the insurance write t off?

That's fricken brutal! Your bike isn't too bad considering the speed but your buddies wow. Looks like he's still riding it (primer on tank). Why didn't the insurance write t off?

All he had was liability. I bought a new body for mine and then he took my old body and repainted it.

the difference in damage at that kind of speed is surprisingly apparent! im guessing the low speed nature of my crash did cause my slider to dig in and bend instead of slide, ill be getting another set because i think it still protected my bike a little - and my threads didnt get ripped out luckily so the damage isnt nearly as bad as it could have been - besides if i ever do low side at a higher speed, id like my bike to look like the white fz1 above not the red :X

Back