Low Sided on the Beartooth Highway

Glad you're ok and the bike is relatively ok. Keep an eye on your breathing if it gets really rough or you can't catch your breath, head back into a hospital. I had a patient that had a broken rib and a few days later his lung collapsed. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

The cinder material is what they use out in the boonies in AZ. It was what put me down on my Fz6. I was told it helps prevent the roads from icing over.

Thanks for the words of caution. This morning I went to strap my bag on the bike and pulled down with my left arm and the pain was intense. It went away after 10 min. I was told to keeping breathing deeply and no shallow breaths. I feel pretty good today, only sharp pain when I get on and off the bike and when I cough.

I suspect that was the stuff you mentioned. I actually pass a snowplow on the way up to the summit.

:wow: You're still continuing on with broken ribs?
Capture_zps95fa0348.jpg

After 30 years, it was the law of averages catching up with you. Hell of a run, I've been down twice in 6yrs. Like everyone else has said you're ok, and that is the important part. Glad to hear it.

It only hurts when I laugh and cough.

I would have that most don't crash. Twice in 6 years, did you get hurt?

Glad you aren't too injured to continue your trip. The main Glacier NP road from the western entrance is now free of construction all the way from West Glacier to the top of Logan Pass (~35 miles) so you'll have smooth sailing with no construction or delays, but there still is construction going on on the road descending to St. Mary (eastern entrance). It's not too bad but some rough, dusty areas. For some reason going UP the Going to the Sun Road from the west always seems more spectacular than coming down from the east.

I had a really good ride today on my way up to Glacier NP but the one issue I'm having is getting my head back in the game. Left turns at speed make me edgy and I want too slow down. I went to take a corner at speed and had a slight panic attach that only lasted for maybe a second. I never had a panic attach before a it felt very strange. I've always been a fairly aggressive confident rider and the fall has shaken me a little. For those that have gone down with injury, does this ever go away?

I had a really good ride today on my way up to Glacier NP but the one issue I'm having is getting my head back in the game. Left turns at speed make me edgy and I want too slow down. I went to take a corner at speed and had a slight panic attach that only lasted for maybe a second. I never had a panic attach before a it felt very strange. I've always been a fairly aggressive confident rider and the fall has shaken me a little. For those that have gone down with injury, does this ever go away?

Down twice but no injuries. Still got a bit jumpy even though both were unavoidable. What you need to remember is that this wasn't something you could have avoided. It wasn't "a dumb mistake" or poor judgement. You were a victim of circumstance. I'm still cautious around unknown corners but once I've "cleared them" I've been known to back-track and hit 'em hard. :D

It will go away and you'll be nailing the apex again. How long is all up to you. ;)

I can't even remember how many times I've crashed between my motorcycles, bicycles, skiing, skateboards, and 20 years in the Army I think I've broken about 15+ bones over the years. It never gets easier!

Again, go easy, and don't sneeze!

6+ ribs, ulna & radius, big toe, lower jaw, pinky (OUCH!), tailbone, collarbone, shoulder blade, and I'm sure I'm missing something...

Hang tough, and Advil is your friend. :tup:

Down twice but no injuries. Still got a bit jumpy even though both were unavoidable. What you need to remember is that this wasn't something you could have avoided. It wasn't "a dumb mistake" or poor judgement. You were a victim of circumstance. I'm still cautious around unknown corners but once I've "cleared them" I've been known to back-track and hit 'em hard. :D

It will go away and you'll be nailing the apex again. How long is all up to you. ;)

I appreciate that, it actually helped.

Again, go easy, and don't sneeze!

6+ ribs, ulna & radius, big toe, lower jaw, pinky (OUCH!), tailbone, collarbone, shoulder blade, and I'm sure I'm missing something...

Hang tough, and Advil is your friend. :tup:

I had to cough and pain was incredible. I could even imagine how a sneeze will feel.

You broke your jaw, said something you shouldn't have. ;)

Last edited:
I had to cough and pain was incredible. I could even imagine how a sneeze will feel.

You broke your jaw, said something you should have. ;)

I crashed at the track about 16 months ago. Fixed the bike, rode 2 more sessions. Got home, watching TV that night, sneezed and broke a rib. It felt like I'd been stabbed! OUCH. I felt it grind and move with each breath. That Monday I crawled into work..

. I felt it grind and move with each breath. That Monday I crawled into work..

That's kind how mine feels, I feel it move with every deep breath but no grinding and only slight pain. Hurts like a son of bitch when I laugh. I'm watching an old Two and a Half Men and thought I was going to die from it.

Back