Low End Power

I happen to have a 16 tooth gear, flies tied, cut air box (but that really did not help) and a fairly tweaked tune. My torque is really flat from 4000 to 12000 rpm. Having a soggy bottom end would never occur to you riding my bike.

What is the lowest rpm you want to turn?

Tuning is everything on these bikes.

Beast

I may be new to Sportbikes,but...

Unfortunately for you, the nature of the FZ1 and R1 5 valve motor is that of a rev happy engine and no amount of fiddling is going to change the fact that it is designed to make the majority of it's horsepower high up in the rev range.

Even with R1 cams, it will still make most of it's power up top.
The best you can hope for is improving the midrange with all the common mods.

I love noodling around town on this 2008 between 2000 and 4000 rpm. In all of my low gears I wack the throttle and this bike lights up. I thought it had tons of low end. This is from someone who has yet to go over 68mph and 5000rpm on my 8 week old Rocket. The instant response the FZ1 puts out is amazing.

:thewave::thewave::thewave:

I love noodling around town on this 2008 between 2000 and 4000 rpm. In all of my low gears I wack the throttle and this bike lights up. I thought it had tons of low end. This is from someone who has yet to go over 68mph and 5000rpm on my 8 week old Rocket. The instant response the FZ1 puts out is amazing.

:thewave::thewave::thewave:

I suggest you wear a diaper for your first taste of full throttle from 7500rpm to redline:rofl::rofl:

I happen to have a 16 tooth gear, flies tied, cut air box (but that really did not help) and a fairly tweaked tune. My torque is really flat from 4000 to 12000 rpm. Having a soggy bottom end would never occur to you riding my bike.

What is the lowest rpm you want to turn?

Tuning is everything on these bikes.

Beast

The thread starter quoted the GSX1250 as his ideal motor. That thing puts out over 73 ftlbs at 3500rpm. The FZ1 is lucky to make 70ftlbs at 7750rpm ( stock )

View attachment 9970 CLICK TO ENLARGE

I don't care how much you tune that FZ1 the blue line is never going to look like the yellow line on this chart :)
Sure you can gain a little power down low and improve the throttle response but your never going to change the true character of the motor.
These FZ1's will always be weak on the bottom end.

For the record I would personally hate the GSX1250 motor, all low end and nothing up top. The Ninja seems to have a nice balance of both.

Last edited:
The thread starter quoted the GSX1250 as his ideal motor. That thing puts out over 73 ftlbs at 3500rpm. The FZ1 is lucky to make 70ftlbs at 7750rpm ( stock )

View attachment 9970 CLICK TO ENLARGE

I don't care how much you tune that FZ1 the blue line is never going to look like the yellow line on this chart :)
Sure you can gain a little power down low and improve the throttle response but your never going to change the true character of the motor.
These FZ1's will always be weak on the bottom end.

For the record I would personally hate the GSX1250 motor, all low end and nothing up top. The Ninja seems to have a nice balance of both.

I think you are right on the money Googan, the Ninja curve is probably perfect for my two up back road burning. I also have a much better chance of getting close to the Ninja curve by modifying the FZ1 engine. I still won't get there, but it is something more realistic to work toward.:tup: Again, thanks for everyones input. (By the way, I've been looking for those three torque curves on one chart for weeks. Excellent find.)

Now, where is everyone getting this 16T sprocket?

Roy

Have you tried with the Factory Velocity Pro stacks???? I know from my experience that with a good remap they give a good boost on lower rev's. When I bought them 3 years ago the were around 230 US shipped, and I don't regret even one buck.

However you can't compare a Suzuki 1250 with a Fz1, first of all it has a totally different engine and It was developed to have initial torque, while the FZ1 engine comes from a sport bike, and let's face it, this engine is now 6 years old, it would be nice that yamaha would decide to refresh it a little bit.

I think you are right on the money Googan, the Ninja curve is probably perfect for my two up back road burning. I also have a much better chance of getting close to the Ninja curve by modifying the FZ1 engine. I still won't get there, but it is something more realistic to work toward.:tup: Again, thanks for everyones input. (By the way, I've been looking for those three torque curves on one chart for weeks. Excellent find.)

Now, where is everyone getting this 16T sprocket?

Roy

The Gen 1 FZ1 has a 16T front sprocket stock that also has the damping material to keep it quiet.
Your local Yamaha dealer can help you out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

That will not be a pretty 2 seconds!

I suggest you wear a diaper for your first taste of full throttle from 7500rpm to redline:rofl::rofl:

I could not agree more. 45mph to 68mph rushing thru an intersection at a yellow light. I look down and think "WHAT was THAT?" I could not figure out how I was still on the FZ1.

No, your right. 7k to 12k would not be pleasant right now.

:surrender:

The Gen 1 FZ1 has a 16T front sprocket stock that also has the damping material to keep it quiet.
Your local Yamaha dealer can help you out.

That's definitely the best way to go for the 16T front sprocket. By the way the part number is 4XV-17460-00-00. And while you're at it don't forget a new locking washer for it. It's part number 90215-26241-00.

They make a big bore kit and cams ,,, ill post them later ,,,, I have one I am working on ,,, building one that is crazy ,,, I'm a machinist so don't say I can't do it cus ill show u

Get a ZX14 torque issue solved. You can almost just dump the clutch in first and just have it roll out...
That being said I like my FIZ better than any of the supersports I've ridden. However I haven't ridden a Z1000 or a CB1000 either...

Get a ZX14 torque issue solved. You can almost just dump the clutch in first and just have it roll out...
That being said I like my FIZ better than any of the supersports I've ridden. However I haven't ridden a Z1000 or a CB1000 either...

Try a Tuono my friend. It blows the doors off of most bikes.

Maybe a Z1000 or Ninja 1000 would suit you better ? The FZ1 is not only lacking in low-end/mid-range but its also amplified because of the tall first gear and the ratios overall. The Ninja/Z1000 not only has a stronger low-end but from all the reviews I've read Kawasaki got the gearing perfect.
I've done all the mods listed below, including a 16T sprocket and my FZ1 is still very weak below 5000rpm and doesn't really feel strong until after 7000rpm. I've learned to live with the weak bottom end and find the top end rush is thrilling. I've just learned to let her rev :) My last bike was a Hayabusa that made more torque @ 3500 rpm than the FZ1 does at peak. Had to change my riding style to suit. The Busa I always depended on the torque, with the FZ1 I've just learned to have it a gear or two lower , keeping the rpms over 6000 for good drive out of the corners.
Get an ECU flash. Vcyclenut or Ivans.

Back