Loss of Power/check engine light

Deftone

2007 w/ 20K miles.

Riding home yesterday I experienced and significant loss of power, then the engine light came on. I limped home, ran ok enough to ride, but when I pulled in the clutch and revved the motor, it acted like there was a vacuum leak or something.

Tried the diagnostic: d:01 16 (the 16 is the TPS, correct?)
throttle TPS goes from 16 - 94 (wide open)

Now when I turn the key on I'm seeing a "48" where the clock should be, is this the error code?

48 - Air induction system solenoid

Last edited:
Total guess on my part but I suspect the solenoid that controls the secondary throttle plates ( flies ) has failed.

When you turn the power on and off can you hear them cycle ?

I did a little poking around and code 48 is for the secondary butterflies . Should be a bad connection, jammed motor,failed motor or sensor.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuW5-_3MTwA"]'07 FZ1 Sub-Throttle Servo Problem - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
So I can remove the flies altogether, but obviously it's going to bog down low.

How do I check to see what the problem is and how do I fix it?

Just a week before this happened, I installed a quiet insert in the Akro slip on. I wonder if the added back pressure cause the problem.

I opened the flies manually, then turned on the ignition and they closed, so I assume the servo motor is working, must be the sensor? Maybe it's dirty? Where is the sensor?

I opened the flies manually, then turned on the ignition and they closed, so I assume the servo motor is working, must be the sensor? Maybe it's dirty? Where is the sensor?

Try looking at a parts schematic online to locate the sensor. Any online Yamaha parts dealer will have it. May be time to get a service manual.
You can find a service manual on ebay on a CD.

Here's the problem.

photo_zps7ae459d9.jpg

The FZ1 servo I need is "indefinitely back ordered" according to Yamaha. So I bought an R1 servo, took it apart, harvested the gear and it and it looks like it's a match.

Last edited:
So my custom made servo unit ended up being unwilling to calibrate out properly.

So I zip tied the secondary throttle valve to hold them in the open position.

The initial "key on" sweep of the servo motor clicks the check engine (MIL) light on.

The bike runs amazing! It rips all the way through the rpm range. The check engine light (MIL) is illuminated as it is not running in a fail safe mode so the engine's running is not effected by the MIL being illuminated.

Yamaha reissued the release date for the backordered servo of June 25th!

WOOOHOOOO!

I've been riding my GSXR 1000 track bike to work. It's a great bike for the track, but it's a torture rack on the street. It's really high strung, the suspension is very stiff. Soo glad to be off it and back on the FZ1.

Back