Looking to ride dirt, need some help

Matt C.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get into dirtbike riding. My younger brother rides a kx85 2 stroke and has a blast ripping around. We went to the Supercross event last night and now I have the itch to ride dirt.

I am 6'1 and weigh about 180. I would be riding trails and the occasional track day after a good bit of seat time. There are tracks where I live now and where my brother and mom live about 40 minutes from here. There are also miles and miles of trails to ride close by. I wont be doing huge jumps. Im 25 and have to be at work on Monday. It'll be a way to spend time with my brother doing something we both like and giving my mom a break from a 12 year old.

Can you guys throw out some suggestions for bikes. Im working with a budget of $2k-2500 including some gear. I have boots and helmet already.

I have looked at used Yamaha YZ250 2 strokes due to ease of maintenance and inital cost. They are all over Craigslist. I've read that adding a heavier flywheel will help with the low end and not make the powerband hit quite as hard.

I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks

Matt

Last edited:
You might wanna get a CR or YZ125 if you want a two stroke to start. controlling the power band of a 250 two-smoker in the woods as a first time rider will be difficult.

I recommend a four stroke 250 to start, but if you really want to be able to hit the track get a track ready YZF or CRF.

If maintenance is a concern, like I said get a 125. You can get a deal on a CR125 that needs a top end and bottom end done and they have aluminum frames after 98 I think? I wouldn't get one without the aluminum. It is a night and day difference throwing the weight around.

If your little brother is sporting a 85- then it will be no fun ridding around in first gear tapping the throttles through turns.

I have been riding dirt since I was 8. I started on a CRF-100, My brother on a CRF-80. My dad bought a new 2008? WR-250F- it had the headlight and tail light with aluminum frame. He was probably around 190 or so at the time at 6'2", it carried him nicely. It is a heavy woods bike though. I started riding it when I was 12 - getting onto a brick wall to take off since I couldn't put a single foot down.

My last bike was an 09 KX450F - an MX bike not meant for the trails. Before that I flipped a CR-125 for cash and a project. I bought it for 800, re did the top and bottom end, wheel bearings, added some rubber, spark plug, air filter and sold it for 1400. It was a 98 I thought. First year with the aluminum frame. The power band is just right for me in the woods. The KX450 was great on the MX track, PLENTY of power to crawl around and bust it at the bottom of a jump, but the CR will let you stay in the power band in the woods all day long.

I just noticed you are in Auburn, AL.

I am in Birmingham and frequently go down there as I have a buddy in school there.

If you ever want to ride asphalt or clay let me know. I am currently looking for another woods bike. I ride at the Ridge Riding club and the Kentuc trails closer to Birmingham then Auburn. I intend to get a bike and see where the guys in the "Auburn Riders" facebook club ride (those who ride in the dirt).

If he can handle the FZ1, he can handle a YZ250 with a richer than optimum needle. The YZ125 requires much more aggression to ride in the woods. I am using a CCL needle in my GasGas for rheostat like power. I have a different needle from a tuner that I use when I hit the desert.

Last edited:
If he can handle the FZ1, he can handle a YZ250 with a richer than optimum needle. The YZ125 requires much more aggression to ride in the woods. I am using a CCL needle in my GasGas for rheostat like power. I have a different needle from a tuner that I use when I hit the desert.

I agree with what you are saying in a sense, but the FZ1 is easy to ride in the street compared to even a CBR600 or R6 IMO, it is smoother. The YZ250 will not be a smooth option for him with no experience. He has plenty of time to grow/ progress. Even if you get a 125 and only keep it for a season, it will make the 250 MUCH easy to ride in the woods then just hopping on it and hoping for the best. Its not the power that is a concern. It is ridding the power band and using the bike's full potential.

In AL can you make the YZ street legal? (Before the rest of you begin laughing, one can make a YZ street legal in OK).

Or what about a WR450R? That way you can get on the pavement for a bit if you need to.

I dont think I can tag a YZ here.

Thanks for all the replies. I had a R6 as a first bike if that helps that part of the argument. I have ridden dirtbikes a little but never had one of my own. Im not completely opposed to the 125 option but Ive heard that they are harder to control and you have to stay on the pipe to get anywhere. I have read a good bit about the KTM 300 EXC from a few years ago. They seem to have low end torque but still hit good on the pipe. I just want a dependable bike I can grow with and progress on.

I suppose the easiest thing to do is give an example of how and where I will be riding. Monster Mountain is 5 mins from my hometown and Durhamtown is about 4 hours. I would more than likely visit both fairly often.

Hellgate, Im not sure I'm man enough to muscle a 450 around tight single track if that comes along.

Chandler, we will have to get together and ride sometime. Maybe meet and ride Mt. Cheaha

Thanks a lot guys. Keep em coming

Matt

In my opinion, a two stroke will beat you up on the trails regardless. You will probably feel like an old man at the end of the day for your first season as well as the beginning of each.

You're right, you will have to ride the 125. The best thing about it though is you can focus on technique. The wr450 can be tagged in AL. But it's a heavy bike unless you are riding power lines and not woods. I am to small for its weight.

My kx450f was pretty heavy but the power to weight ratio justified it. It was still much lighter or well balanced at least than the wr.

The exc is a great all around bike for the woods. But it will cost you because it is a KTM, it sounds like a four stroke 250 might be your best friend for now. It won't beat you up, and it won't steal your money as much as you think if you take care of it.

A top end job isn't all that bad. You're right it is not taking a jug off and popping in a new piston. There is less room to work with as well. A boys night, set of tools, two dirty bikes and a couple of beers is what makes up for it. My favorite part about ridding in the dirt is probably the hours I have spent in the garage with my best friend attempting to fix a major issue the night before we drive two hours to ride for twelve. It's definitely a hobby to me, not a chore. That being said, my buddy is in Naples, Italy with the Navy. So I'm looking for a two striker ;)

Well guys, here she is. Chandler, sorry man. I listened to everything you said but this one pretty much fell in my lap. 2010 YZ250. Bone stock except for V-Force3 reeds and suspension set up way to light for me. I kinda like the cushy ride tho.

I bought it from the owner of an offroad park in my hometown. Less than 40 hours on the bike. Less than 3 hours on rebuild.

I will be ordering flywheel weight and bark busters for it soon. Its pretty dang quick but is very rideable. I have riding boots and a helmet. Im getting gear slowly as budget allows. My mom was going nuts watching the guys practice on the big track yesterday so she is buying my brother chest guards and stuff today.

Thanks for all your help guys. I really do appreciate it. If youre ever down toward central AL, visit Monster Mountain. Top notch owners and a really cool place to ride.

Matt

Last edited:
Very nice! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think. I wasn't aware you could get a heavier fly wheel for them. Sound like it will make a great trail bike. :Rockon:

Apparently, throwing in a heavier flywheel weight slows down how fast the engine comes on to power. Doesnt rob HP, just makes the hit of the powerband more manageable. It also increases inertia, which helps out with stalling.

We shall see how it works. I ordered it last night and will put it in Friday. Plan is to ride all I can this weekend and get used to the bike.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Matt

Apparently, throwing in a heavier flywheel weight slows down how fast the engine comes on to power. Doesnt rob HP, just makes the hit of the powerband more manageable. It also increases inertia, which helps out with stalling.

We shall see how it works. I ordered it last night and will put it in Friday. Plan is to ride all I can this weekend and get used to the bike.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Matt

Heavier flywheel also helps for lugging the motor more, less throttle to do slow technical stuff.

Its a big bike for beginner dirtbike, but have fun, go easy until you really learn the bike, and be safe.

The YZ250 would wear me down after a short period of time so I give you props!

I have heard decent things about Monster Mountain and know some people that ride there. I may trailer down there sometime this season.

Im sure its going to wear me out, but I will get used to it and will get better in time. I received the flywheel weight today along with some gear.

Monster Mountain is pretty cool. The track is huge. Theres a vintage track that is toned down a bit. There are trails to ride too. Tom, who I bought the bike from and owner of MM, is a great guy. Really nice. His son is super nice too. MM brings a lot of income to Tallassee and is to me a great venue for a family weekend.

Well I finally got a little seat time on the YZ. Man, this thing is strong. I like it a lot. I rode the vintage track several times this past weekend. Its a lot more sandy than I remember but the YZ powered through. I went down twice both in sandy turns. I'm not man enough to carry the speed needed to make it thru. That sucked. I also was able to do a little trail riding too. I really like the flywheel weight in the woods. It helped make 1st and 2nd gears fun instead of scary. I plan to hit Top Trails in a few weeks to really get some trail mileage on it.

Matt

More seat time is all you need. Plus, if you want to get better, try practicing like you do ball sports. Take basketball. You practice lay-ups for a while, the free throws and three pointers etc......Practice games come after much practice. This will give you confidence quickly allowing for one of the most important things, which is looking as far ahead as possible.

Squeeze the bike with your knees. I simply ride on the balls of my feet and turn my toes towards each other a little and relax my knees. I let gravity do most of the work when I can. Try it in the garage. While your there, set all the controls with you in the attack position so they will comfy and get you in the attack position more and more.

Don't forget, you can change the power on the bike tremendously with a needle swap. My GasGas uses a Keihin flat side carb too and I'm running a CCL needle. A CCK is leaner and a CCM would be richer. I think you might like the CCK. They cost me about $7 locally.

Cool man, thanks for the tips. I havent learned how to corner yet on it so Im creeping around which seems to make the bike jump out of the rut.:dontknow:

I guess like you said, practice practice practice

Thanks

Cool man, thanks for the tips. I havent learned how to corner yet on it so Im creeping around which seems to make the bike jump out of the rut.:dontknow:

I guess like you said, practice practice practice

Thanks

Balls on the tank method will corner the bike for you essentially. Once you put the weight in the right place and do it right once, it will start to come naturally.
:stunta]:

Back