Looking to buy a FZ1... What year is the best to buy?

The 2009 is the latest model I can find. Is that a good year? I read that 2010 they changed the fuel mapping and few things.. Is there any difference between the years at all except when they switched the FI?

Thanks

I had an 08' and it was a great bike. Nothing to fear with an 09' . If you don't like the stock fueling (I had no issues with it) then you can always have it "flashed". Body colors are the main differences.

I've got a 10 plate bike, and it's great. Plenty of poke throughout the rev range as standard, but you obviously won't leave it like that!
Spend a little on tuning, and they become a real beast!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

some fueling changes in 06 and 07 all can be dealt with doing tweeking/ or flash.

other then that, color changes to body,forks, and wheels from 06 to 14

Check the frame welds on the 06 and 07 models before purchasing. We have had a few members with cracks on their frame welds recently.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Wow. Don't get me started. I will save myself the rant as I have done it several times in the past. In short......

06/07 possible frame crack. Very few, but still possible.
All years, including 09, possible bad coils.
All years, including 09, possible stator/ rotor issue.
06/07 possible valve stem issue.
06-10 poor fueling IMO. Last ecu update was in 2011. I have a 2012, and can honestly say fueling is as good as any bike I've ridden. This is up for debate, as others with 2012 we're not happy.

Sorry I kept this short but all info can be had in great detail if you search, "crack" "valve stem" "coil" " snatch" or "stator". With all the info you will find you can make in informed decision on what bike may be best or you. Good luck. Even with its faults, the Gen2 FZ1 is a great bike.

Well the coils are the same as the R1 so can be bought cheap from ebay (many totaled R1s). The fueling is no problem for me just learn to drive (do not close the throttle completely) and it is no problem otherwise you can buy a flash which is between 200-300 dollar. The valve stems and cracks are very small fractions of the bikes, just check the frame (that should be done anyway) and look that regular maintenance was done including valves.

I think a 09 should not have any problems. 4 Coils cost about 60$ from ebay just look for R1s they use the same. Have fun riding the bike and wear good leather gear.

Back