Looking for some new headlights

Sevinsky

Hey everyone!
Hopefully you found this from my post in the new members section.

I am looking for the brightest white headlights that I am legally allowed to have on my bike, 2007 FZ1. It is converted to have this type of headlight.

img46937cdc82f64.jpg

I am pretty much brand new to motorcycles if general if you haven't read my introduction post, but hopefully you guys can help me find some good headlights?

Thanks

-Sevinsky

H.I.D.'s

I would go with a HID (high intensity discharge) bulb in your existing headlight housing. I have HID's on my car and they are intensly white, clean light. They are also not sensitive to vibration as they do not use a filiment in the bulb, but rather an arc between two points in a gas filled housing. You do need a ballast, but these have been miniturized for bike applications and come in a kit.

I will post a link when I find it. Here: http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/yamaha-fz1-hid-lights-c-93_329

Or here: http://www.1offmotorsports.com/Prod...cycle-HID-Xenon-Conversion-Kit-2001-2011.html

Last edited:
Well just be careful because some kits out there will only serve to blind oncoming traffic...

I personally don't have any experience with HIDs, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

I'm very happy with Sylvania Silverstars.. inexpensive (on eBay), very easy to put in (just a regular bulb swap) and much whiter and brighter than OEM.

I would go with a HID (high intensity discharge) bulb in your existing headlight housing. I have HID's on my car and they are intensly white, clean light. They are also not sensitive to vibration as they do not use a filiment in the bulb, but rather an arc between two points in a gas filled housing. You do need a ballast, but these have been miniturized for bike applications and come in a kit.

I will post a link when I find it. Here: FZ1 HID Lights

Or here: HID Xenon Lights, Parts, and Accesories for Motorcycle, UTV, and Offroad (BMW, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Polaris | 1 Off Motorsports

So Oldschool, would these lights work for the bike then?

Bi-Xenon Philips Motorcycle HID Kit [Bi-Xenon]

At first I thought your bike was smoking, then I saw the fire on the ground behind it.

I am not sure about HID for bikes, but I know you cannot just swap HID into a regular car headlight, normally you have to buy a whole kit to swap out the internals.

NJFZ1: I'm sure ill find some way to hide it.

Klurejr: I thought the same too, didn't see the fire, but no that's not my bike.

img0278hb.jpg

That's my bike.

What are the differences between the K's?
Like in the link you put on theWolfTamer, its lists them from 3000K to 30000K, is that the brightness?

Also they list 4 different bulb types, which one would I want to get?

The lower the number, the brighter the light. 5000k is the same as lighting from the factory. I got the 6k ones for the little bit of blue in them. The 8k ones have even more blue but appear to produce less light and so on. As for the bulb, what kind of bulb is in there now? H4 is the standard for the fz1.

HID installed, Scattered results.

Hi there, I installed an HID kit . Lights looks great but I realize that the bulb size and dimensions are not equal to our H4 halogen bulb, as a result the beam pattern is not a cut sharpened and it has a lot of scattering.
Does anyone have this problem?. I started to look some solutions but I didn´t find anything good yet .

The optics on the stock headlight assembly are not optimized for HID elements. Cutoff will be less defined and you risk blinding and pissing off oncoming drivers. Not a good idea IMHO. Also most HID retrofit jobs offer overly bright light in the area immediately in front of the bike causing your pupils to constrict and actually hurt your ability to see at the all important longer distances (when you are traveling more than 30mph or so)

Small projector HID units fitted into the headlight assembly are a much better idea and if they are quality units, should offer the benefits of HID lighting without the drawbacks of the retrofit HID element in the place of the Halogen unit.

In the States (and probably most places elsewhere) HID retrofits are not legal. The reasons I mentioned above probably have something to do with why . . . . .

Last edited:
I have been riding with the HIDs for almost 2.5 years now and not a single car has flashed at me. The stock headlight assemblies have pretty good cut off. On the other hand I have been flashed at many times in my car even though it has the right projectors for them.

A fello fz1 rider removed his HID kit on his N headlight due to scatter and ineffective lighhting. Seems the N housing didn't agree with the longer HID unit. The dealers here in Japan offer an optional HID kit ror the dual headlight FZ1S but not FZ1N.

As for the FZ1S, I'm with that Crazybiker above. Been running HIDs for over 4years and will never go back!
Currently using 4300k as they are closet to natural light but have tried 5000 an:rmwl:d 6300. 4300 is nice on pitch black nights a very white on the yellow side of the spectrum. But the 6300 which were also very white when hot but on the blue side, did strange things to my eyes, depth perception and contrast in perephirial vision. Now i love all night twisties!
Oh yeah, they are legal here but need some adjusting to get them in the zone.

Back