Looking for input on Laminar Lip

Hi,

I have a 2008 FZ1 and want to have some added wind protection from the windscreen compared to the stock windscreen. I spoke to a guy at a local dealer and he suggested the Laminar Lip product. I searched the forum for comments on it and did not find anything, so I wanted to see if anyone has input on it. The one I am thinking of is the touring option:

Laminar Products for Yamaha FZ-1

better looking options

There are definately better looking options out there. I think it was Fazer1sniper that made a home brew version of that for his gen 1. Personally I would look at the zero gravity screens or the puig screens and just swap it over when you want to tour. I have a ZG sport touring screen and I would not go back to the stock as it looks better and works better no matter what speed you go.
There are deals around on "factory seconds" ZG screens. One of the guys on the forum here, GViking, got one for about $40 bucks, and said he can't find any defect with the screen.:D
http://www.998cc.org/forum/product-reviews/5261-zero-gravity-sport-touring-windshield.html?highlight=gravity

Last edited:
I don't really like how the Laminar product looks either. I have been looking at some others including the ZG. I used to have a 2006 FJR and am now regret selling it because of the wind protection and luggage that it had. The FZ1 does handle great.

can't say

I don't really like how the Laminar product looks either. I have been looking at some others including the ZG. I used to have a 2006 FJR and am now regret selling it because of the wind protection and luggage that it had. The FZ1 does handle great.

I thought about the FJR for a long time, went with the FZ for price but do not regret it. I can't compare the FJR to the FZ for wind protection as I only rode a FJR once back in 2003 for a couple of hours. My memory isn't that good. But I can tell you the ZG sport touring shield is a big improvement over stock for me. I am Just a hair under 6 foot for reference. I have ridden in zero degrees with it on (at highway speeds +) and it made it no problem,(hands were only thing cold).

There are other options, lots check out the member Franko's bike for instance. And there are some MONSTER screens out there, I saw one on the other forum that was HUGE.

I thought about the FJR for a long time, went with the FZ for price but do not regret it. I can't compare the FJR to the FZ for wind protection as I only rode a FJR once back in 2003 for a couple of hours. My memory isn't that good. But I can tell you the ZG sport touring shield is a big improvement over stock for me. I am Just a hair under 6 foot for reference. I have ridden in zero degrees with it on (at highway speeds +) and it made it no problem,(hands were only thing cold).

There are other options, lots check out the member Franko's bike for instance. And there are some MONSTER screens out there, I saw one on the other forum that was HUGE.
Thanks for the info about the seconds on the screen, I may go that direction, the seconds for the touring option are now $55 plus shipping.

The adjustable windshield on the FJR is really nice. The FZ1 is so much lighter though.

I will probably do some additional looking on another problem I am trying to solve with the pegs hitting me in the shins when I am stopped.

Riding in zero degrees...oh man :)

rear sets

Thanks for the info about the seconds on the screen, I may go that direction, the seconds for the touring option are now $55 plus shipping.

The adjustable windshield on the FJR is really nice. The FZ1 is so much lighter though.

I will probably do some additional looking on another problem I am trying to solve with the pegs hitting me in the shins when I am stopped.

There is always rear sets. Don't know how it would affect your comfort level. Depends on you and your size I guess.

Well if you're not in a hurry for the screen then keep an eye on eBay. Just last week a used ZG Touring screen sold for like $20...it appeared to be in excellent condition from the description and the pictures.

luggage you say

Luggage is no problem, The FZ can handle it. The bags (Givi) hold more than the FJR's or you can mount the exact same bags from the FJR (colour matched).

Looks like the Laminar goes over AND around the rider with the wind, where the ZG is simply over.

(Don't know how they can ask $150 for that thing, and Laminar's is $94?)

Course the MRA is adjustable...

I wouldn't really worry about looks unless it's a permanent installation, I would put those on for a touring ride, and take em off for regular use anyway.

With a 17 and 20" increased heigth sizes the Riffle windscrean looks to be the ticket for 'full' protection. The reviews as I recall were good. The last one, however was less in the wind buffeting catagory.....lol...

check out MRA Vario.....gives you a sleek profile with adjustability...

TwistedThrottle.com : MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield for Yamaha FZ1 Fazer, '06- - MRA.06.051.VT

looks good on the Gen I.....quick search for ya on the Gen II

some are on the fence as to its form and function, but coming from a ZGDB (zero gravity double bubble) I notice a HUGE difference in how the wind is not directed.....

I have a GIVI Med tall and MRA Vario has a add on Spoiler. I down loaded the template and measured for fit. Can't wait to get it.

Here are some pics of the Zero Gravity Sport Touring I put on

I tried it out several days ago when it wasn't snowing. It is much better than the stock screen for wind but it's nothing like the windshield I had on my FJR1300

Comparison photo of stock windshied with ZG Sport Touring

In case you are considering this windshield this photo shows you how much larger the ZG is.

In case you are considering this windshield this photo shows you how much larger the ZG is.

thanks for the pics and info I have been going back and forth and not been able to make a decision on the ZG Touring, ZG Double bubble or a MRA Vario - the touring screen looks good (your the 1st person I have seen post a side on shot)
I guess I am going to follow your lead and go for the ZG touring vs. the others..
thanks!

Back