Looking for advice from people who have ridden a patched tire

2100 miles on this rear tire and today I got a puncher from highway riding. Is this tire a write off or something that can be patched off?

Also, are patched tires considered safe? Or are they likely to blow and/or repunture.

Looking for advice from people who have had a punchered tire patched and successfully rode the tries natural life.

I am currently leaning towards getting a new tire.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20160116_230049.jpg
    IMG_20160116_230049.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 100
I get mine taken to my mechanic who puts an internal mushroom type plug into the tyre.
I've done this numerous times with no issues.

+1 , my last tyre had a 6" screw in it at around 120 miles had it repaired then 40 miles later I got another , had that repaired also , I continued to use the tyre till the end of its life , I just kept an eye on the pressure to make sure it wasn't loosing air

Patch plug

I know of experienced mechanics saying they have just plugged them with success but I would never use anything but a "patch plug". My rear tire has one in it now. Anytime a tire is plugged it should be taken off the rim and inspected. That may seem like overkill but I have seen tires with damage that couldn't be detected from the outside. With a patch plug it would have to come off anyway. Only repair in the tread area and never reuse a tire that has been ridden on flat. Just my $.02

I know of experienced mechanics saying they have just plugged them with success but I would never use anything but a "patch plug". My rear tire has one in it now. Anytime a tire is plugged it should be taken off the rim and inspected. That may seem like overkill but I have seen tires with damage that couldn't be detected from the outside. With a patch plug it would have to come off anyway. Only repair in the tread area and never reuse a tire that has been ridden on flat. Just my $.02

I did ride it a couple miles to get home on the flat tire at 20 miles an hour.
Given the fact that the tire needs to come off the rim and the labour time to patch the tire. Might just make sense to get a new tire installed instead and have the price of mind.

Patch plug

I did ride it a couple miles to get home on the flat tire at 20 miles an hour.
Given the fact that the tire needs to come off the rim and the labour time to patch the tire. Might just make sense to get a new tire installed instead and have the price of mind.

Once you get it off you can inspect for damage. It will show in the side wall (inside). I have seen car and truck tires that looked good on the outside or may have a darker ring on the side wall and have a hand full of loose rubber inside. Be safe!

It cost me $25 for the mushroom plug, so it's much cheaper than a new tyre. (especially here in Australia)
If you feel more comfortable with a new tyre then go for it.

Just plugged the tire with mushroom style plug.
Though there is a bit of rubber missing next to the plug. Seems to be a surface thing.

Havent ridden the bike yet. Didn't see water bubbles at the plug areaeither. Going to see if the pressure is maintained.

Though I am of the mind that I should ride the bike via inner roads to the shop and have the tire changed altogether.

Attachments

• IMG_20160119_204346.jpg
    IMG_20160119_204346.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 77
Back