Looking at getting a decent DSLR camera

NightTrain

Well, something reasonably priced that will take nice pics. I'm sure there are some photo-pros in this group that know a thing or two. Not looking at getting the latest-greatest ultimate high end camera, I just want to get better images than what a basic point-and-shoot offers. Something that could be considered a good "amateur" camera with some pro-level features. I found a Fuji s700 finepix for sale locally for $100 bucks. Read some decent reviews on it... has 10X zoom and plenty of user-adjustable features. Again I'm not looking to wow the neighbors, just a "next step" up. The m.b.o.t.m thread got me thinking, and back in the film days I enjoyed using SLR cameras alot. If anyone has used this camera, what are your findings? Anything else to consider, that could be found used for about the same price?

Last edited:
Bang for the Buck?
Nikon Coolpix s220

Compact and loaded with features. 10mp.
Nice large disply screen
Video
tons of fun features in picture mode.
Name it its got it and best of all its take on rides worthy.

It is not too bulky at all.

I used to carry my Fuji s1000 just to get a good photo till My wife got this.

Just my 2 cents. And for under 100.00 its a good deal.

Deals to be had

Check out the consignment at your local camera store. Lots of pros' and amateurs must have the latest and greatest and change up frequently. There are always deals to be had on SLRs. If you want something that you can grow with and have real versatilty, nothing else will do it. Point and shoot are getting really good but you still can't change lenses and that is where the fun begins. I am still a rank amateur and but I still get some decent if not awesome shots. It is a case of hardware making the operator look better, someday I hope it is the reverse.

Nikon D60

I have a Nikon D60. It is very good for the following reasons:

- takes great photos;
- easy to use;
- is light;
- has enough features to keep you busy; and
- its cheap!

Last edited:
Wow, this is like starting a "which oil" thread or "how to clean a chain" thread...you'll get lots of different replies and opinions!

For my DSLR needs, I chose a Sony Alpha A200.
Worked for me since the Sony will accept older Minolta lenses.

A proper DSLR, 2nd hands maybe like the Canon Eos 350D or a new one, for people new to dslr, a canon eos 550D. The interchangable lenses make the big difference for different types of photo's, I had a Panasonic FZ8, 7mp 12x optical zoom, pretty good qualit pictures,
until I switched to the 550D. HUGE difference. the biggest difference is light sensitivity.
Being able to make a good photo under almost any kind of lighting conditions, and still looking sharp, is something the point and shoot cameras will never do as well.

I'm not sure spending the 100 bucks on the Fuji s700 finepix will satisfy at all.. save up a little and get a REAL DSLR.

Just wondering... but none of the mentioned cameras are DSLRs...

Are you looking for a good point and shoot? Or a DSLR?

Hmm... it was my understanding that optional lenses are offered for this camera, though very limited on what you can choose. Or perhaps I'm so far out of the loop on modern stuff I don't understand all the terminology.... if anything I know the s700 offers SLR-like features, more than just the little compact point / shoot deal (already have one of those). I put some images of it up.... looks like the wide-angle lenses ect go right over the existing one? I figure for $100 it can't be too bad of an investment.

Since all input is appreciated, everyone has been thanked thus far!

Last edited:
On that model... you're not changing the lens... you can use "add-on" lenses... that work in conjunction with the lens that it built onto the camera... but they're optically... well.. add-ons.. a DSLR camera doesn't have a lens built onto it...

the higher end Canon point and shot models (the Sx20IS, SX30IS, etc) use a similar system... you can use add-on wide angle... or add on macro... or add on magnifiers that act as telephoto.... but you're just stacking another piece of glass in front of the lens that already exists.....

If you're looking to spend $500 or less, a good point and shoot is your best option... and Fuji really isn't known for a good point and shoot... Nikon and Canon are going to be the top players there.....

If you're willing to spend $600-$2000 for a body, and then an additional $300-$3000 per lens... the DSLR route may be for you...

A DSLR will allow you to take total control over your photos... you set the ISO, Shutter Speed, and Aperture... and the adjustments you make determine the final picture greatly...

On even the best point and shoot cameras, you can flip it into "Manual Mode" ... but it's not the same... your adjustments will be very limited... most Point and shoo cameras allow you to adjust shutter from 1/500th sec - 10-15 Seconds ... Aperture from f/3.5-f/8 ... and ISO from 100-400 ... on a DSLR, the options are basically endless... I can go as fast as 1/8000th sec and I've done exposures of over 2 hours... aperture adjustments are only limited by the lens you have on... and ISO adjustments on my DSLR run from ISO 100 - ISO 12,800 .... and then you have issue like recycle time and frames per second... a point and shoot takes one picture... writes that picture to a SD card.. then you can take another picture... sometimes it's less than a second between shots on high-end P&S models... sometimes almost 2 seconds between shots or longer... my DSLR can crank out 8.5 frames per second... and if I'm shooting in jpg, I can shoot 8.5 frames a second sustained for over 999 frames....

They're different worlds...

Canon has some awesome P&S cameras out right now... the S95 is changing the world of point and shoot cameras with its clarity and adjustability... the SX30IS is amazing in terms of its zoom capability...

I hear you, and everything your saying is good info. Maybe if you get a chance, google the specs on the s700- let me know what you think about it's features. The one thing I can say is that it does offer a 10X zoom... so for a bill it may not be so bad. I really want a high-end, real deal SLR type camera but at the moment I can't. Too much money went into buying the FZ1 and throwing all the mods at it, not much extra lying around at the moment to spend. Moving into a new place isn't helping :cry:

When I went to Indy this year (second trip so far) to watch the MotoGp race, I couldn't get any decent close ups, was too limited by the camera I had. Some of the gear I see people bringing out is amazing, I was envious for sure.

ok... in looking at the Fuji s700 finepix, the first thing I notice is that it has no IS of any kind.. so at 10X zoom, you can pretty much bet that all of your pictures will show a bit of motion blur. so, pictures like the shots you want to get at a track aren't going to happen... really, track pictures will be very hit and miss with any P&S camera, as the AutoFocus on a P&S just simply isn't up to the task... even entry level DSLR's are hit and miss with high speed action like that...

cNet rates the performance of the camera as "Sluggish" .. they say the controls are less than ideal... and that the camera is capable of 1.4 frames per second.... for 3 frames... so.. you can get roughly 3 frames taken in 2 seconds... if you're looking to do any high speed / motorcycle track photography... this simply won't cut it... in addition to the focusing issues I mentioned earlier...

in comparisons to other similar cameras in this category, the Fuji is the slowest of the bunch... average time between shots is 3.3 seconds.... that's..... horrible.... after turning it on, the time to the first shot is 1.3 seconds... not horrible... but not good either... then we get to the really bad stuff... shutter lag... in dim situations, the average shutter lag on this camera is 2.2 seconds... meaning... you hit the shutter button.. and for 2.2 seconds, nothing happens...

I dunno man... even at $100... I'd have to pass on this one... cnet gave it a 3/5 star rating... but looking at the specs and the tests they did... I think they were being generous...

I'm most familiar with Canon stuff... so that's what I tend to push... but if I were you... I'd be looking at this guy: Buy.com - Canon PowerShot SX10 IS High-end Digital Camera

it's not the latest of this model... so you should be able to find one used on eBay.... but the reviews like the sx10IS better than the SX20IS and SX30IS that replaced it... I had a S5IS in the past, and it was an AWESOME point and shoot...

I'm looking at buying a Sony DSCH X5V pretty soon. It was either that or the Panasonic Lumix TZ10.
I like the panorama mode and the fast shooting mode on the Sony, so I will probably go with that.

Back