Look them in the eyes

Rex D.

On the topic of safety.............We all get cut off by someone not paying attention while driving. I don't just look at the car getting ready to pull out in front of me, I look at the driver's eyes. If they are wandering around or looking the other way at traffic I slow down and get ready for manuevering. Make sure you see the "whites of their eyes"! Just thought I would throw this out there since so many bad accidents are related to being cut off and drivers pulling out in front of us. I was driving my CAR the other day and some bone head kid on a sport bike insisted on riding in MY BLIND SPOT! No traffic........he just felt comfortable riding in the fast lane where I couldn't see him. I had to slow down to get him where I could see him. I'm off my soapbox now..............

The highway is the scariest place for me. I almost never play around and go int survival mode. If I'am in the fast lane in traffic I'am on the right side of the lane and try to keep the slow lane drivers face in their side view mirror. If I'am in the slow lane I stay to the left of the lame unless there is a on ramp off ramp. I give my self enough room from the car in front of me so I can spend some time in my mirrors and glance at whats coming up and not have to worry overly much about hitting the brakes, like I said glance not live in. I never ride the center of any lane or the left side of the fast lane.
I prefer the fast lane and feel safer there. less to worry about ex. on ramps off ramps. Its easier to control your visibility.

I would like to hear some suggestions and techniques others use.

Every car and bike i've ever owned has had a pair of these...

blindspotmirror.jpg

I can perfectly see my blind spot as well as behind me.

Agree on looking them in the eyes if possible and I always have my thumb near or on the horn and will do the double/triple beep if they are "wandering" ...

May be a wee bit paranoid but it usually lets them know I'm there. When it comes to safety I have no pride holding me back!

It's legal here in California to "split lanes". I've never done it but see it down in the bay area. These guys ride the line between cars at 70+ mph! I can see the advantage of splitting lanes coming up to a red traffic light to be first off the line when the light turns green but how 'bout those guys who open a door to dump a slurpy, spit sunflower seeds, dump their ashtray etc. These riders are playing Russian roulette with three bullets in the revolver, heck they are playing with a semi-auto! Maybe the've played too many video games where you hit reset when you bite the big one.

Russian roulette???? You ain't seen nothing yet..

Watch this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jcvkbpSk68]YouTube - ‪1x180 mph Bike 1 X Crazy Russian Rush Hour Traffic Hold On Tight‬‏[/ame]

... it's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door...you step onto the
road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's not knowing where you might be
swept off to.

just yesterday i saw a guy on a harley almost get smashed by a car coming out a gas station. he was driving and the car pulled out a bit, saw him coming, and pulled out a lot more after hesitating. the guy had to execute a quick maneuver to dodge the car, and he then looked the driver right in the eyes. i was pretty pissed and i was just an onlooker. it has happened to me before but not quite as close. some people shouldn't be allowed to drive outside of a closed course.

I ride in traffic every day. I think your technique is good. While I have always hated the morons (in cages) constantly changing lanes, I am finding myself doing a bit of lane changing myself while on the bike. If I foresee myself getting trapped I'm out of there. I do use all 3 parts of my lane and am very protective of it. When traffic slows to 30 or below I'm lane splitting. I also use high beams in the day. And last but not least, I try to be a courteous rider so as to somewhat change the negative perspective some people have of "bikers".

The highway is the scariest place for me. I almost never play around and go int survival mode. If I'am in the fast lane in traffic I'am on the right side of the lane and try to keep the slow lane drivers face in their side view mirror. If I'am in the slow lane I stay to the left of the lame unless there is a on ramp off ramp. I give my self enough room from the car in front of me so I can spend some time in my mirrors and glance at whats coming up and not have to worry overly much about hitting the brakes, like I said glance not live in. I never ride the center of any lane or the left side of the fast lane.
I prefer the fast lane and feel safer there. less to worry about ex. on ramps off ramps. Its easier to control your visibility.

I would like to hear some suggestions and techniques others use.

Personally I look at the driver but will pay more attention to the wheels to see if and when they start moving. Looking at the eyes of the driver will help to see if they are paying attention to me and to the road. Looking at the wheels will tell me what the vehicle is doing. I was taught to look at the wheels of the vehicle in my Motorcycle safety course.

Fun discussion! I want to interject here a bit. Sure, looking at the eyes might give you a visual clue to what the driver may be planning but the eyes are so small and obscure you're really taking focus away from the whole scenario.

I try to watch the front wheels of suspect drivers for clues as to what they may be doing. This is effective no matter which direction they are facing or heading. The front wheels are large, move a lot and move a lot faster than the car itself would move so you get a lot more information in a smaller amount of time.

$0.02

Edit: I see jeffstoic beat me to it!

Personally I look at the driver but will pay more attention to the wheels to see if and when they start moving. Looking at the eyes of the driver will help to see if they are paying attention to me and to the road. Looking at the wheels will tell me what the vehicle is doing. I was taught to look at the wheels of the vehicle in my Motorcycle safety course.

Theory must be one a take on a old Karate saying," The eyes lie the belt buckle tells the truth."

The eyes are small, yes, but it's a primal human instinct to lock eyes to gauge what the other guy is up to. True, a driver may be looking right through you but the odds are more in our favor if he/she/little old person is locking onto you verses eyes wandering/rolling back in their heads!:nerd:

The problem lies in the fact that our instincts are counter-productive to successful motorcycling and they must be overcome to be a competent rider. Tens of thousands of years of moving about on foot don't really prepare us for motorcycling I guess

I ride in heavy traffic everyday also, and I agree with watching the tires, not the eyes. I've had people looking right at me come on into my lane.
I ride like I'm invisible, and try to always know where my escape space is.

i'm just going to start beeping my horn and revving my bike through every intersection just to be safe! :nerd:

LOL...they may still not see you or hear you if they're too busy doing other things.

This morning on my way in to work there was a lady reading a book while driving. She was in the lane right next to me and had the book resting on the air bag cover of the steering wheel. Unbelievable!!! Tried taking a pic with my cell phone, but I was getting too much glare.

Back