Local stealership does OK by me...

I'm usually one of the first ones to steer people away from dealerships for accessories, tires, maintenance items, etc. However, for some ungodly reason, I get bored today and decide to take a ride down to one just to see what they have.

I walk in the door, expecting to get swarmed by salesmen who haven't sold a bike in 3 months, frothing at the mouth at the opportunity to put me into a bike I can't afford. To my surprise, one simply greets me and allows me to walk right through the showroom to the parts department.

Now I have no particular items in mind. I am in the market for a tailbag and I have an obsession with gloves, so those are the first things I migrate towards. They have the usual selection of Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, Icon, et al. Nothing twists my nipples enough to break out the wallet.

I see the tires and decide to take a look-see at what they stock. Michelins seem to be their showcase brand. I look for pricing on the Pilot Road 2's. I don't see any 190/50's in stock, but they do have the 120/70's for $130.99. Not a GREAT deal, but not typical dealership tailjobs without the courtesy of a reacharound. I decide to inquire at the counter to see if they have some 190's hiding in the back. He looks, nope, none in stock, but he can have one in a few days for $169.99. This brings the total up to $300.98. Not too shabby, about what I would pay for a set online including shipping. Before I can say "thanks, I'm just looking right now", he springs this doozy: We're running a special for the winter, free mount & balance if you buy a set of tires from us."

Well suck me sideways!! I'm in!

They will call me when the rear has arrived, which should be around Tuesday.

So, I walked out $300 lighter in the wallet (No sales tax in Oregon). If everything turns out well, they've made a customer for life!

Got my set of II CTs for around 225.00 from the stealer and paid another shop 50.00 to mount (wheels only). The original shop wanted another 115.00 to mount whether the bike was there or not....

We're running a special for the winter, free mount & balance if you buy a set of tires from us."
Yup winter is a good time to get tires. At the bike show in NYC, I ran into the dealer that I bought my bike from. I mentioned needing new tires, he said he had a special on tires and if I wanted that he would send the truck over to pick the bike up and later drop it off (free). Basically it's snowing and cold here so that made a lot of sense. Plus I'm ready when the snow melts.

Some of the guys running the dealerships know a little about doing the right things.

Local stealership does OK by me...

I like to deal with my local shop-invest in the local economy, face-to-face customer service, riding clubs-however, I'm also dollar conscious. I find they are sometimes willing to bargain when I quote another dealers price or an internet price.
That said, I still do much of my purchases on-line-why?- reduced cost. Example: DJ PCV-Dealer wants $369.95 plus tax, or approx. $403. Motorcycle Super-Store wants $288 no tax, no shipping. I choose to keep $115 in my pocket, thank you very much.

Last edited:
I have a local shop that I love. Most of the time they will beat even online prices. I also have the Yami dealership that I purchased the FZ1 from that has never done me wrong and usually has great prices. I prefer the local shop. Why? They know my name when I walk in the door and I feel like I am hanging out with friends every time I go there. Icing on the cake that I get a good deal and get to support the local economy. :)

Last edited:
Good to hear that there are some good dealers out there. I wish I could say the same, but the one closest to me is a true "stealership". I only go there if I need something in an emergency, otherwise I do all my shopping through the Internet.

I like to deal with my local shop-invest in the local economy, face-to-face customer service, riding clubs-however, I'm also dollar conscious. I find they are sometimes willing to bargain when I quote another dealers price or an internet price.
That said, I still do much of my purchases on-line-why?- reduced cost. Example: DJ PCV-Dealer wants $369.95 plus tax, or approx. $403. Motorcycle Super-Store wants $288 no tax, no shipping. I choose to keep $115 in my pocket, thank you very much.

I'm the same way. When I get a new helmet, I'm going to go there first and I know I'm going to pay more by getting there rather than ordering online, but the ability of having items in stock and being able to try on different sizes and models before I buy is a valuable service that no online dealer can match. Sure, some online stores will let me ship it back and get a different size at no expense, but that's additional hassle I'd rather not deal with.

This same dealer had a nice Fieldsheer tail bag I was looking at. The dealer wanted $74.99. I considered buying it, but didn't just because the one that was in stock had a stuck zipper. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, I came home and checked out Newenough's website and they had it for $39.99. Even if I had purchased it at the dealer, I still wouldn't have felt slighted by paying more, I got to help them keep their doors open so I can continue to get tires there!

For items like the Power Commander, Exhaust, etc. where the item pretty much is what it is, I'll order online 100% of the time and keep the extra coin in my pocket.

I'm the same way. When I get a new helmet, I'm going to go there first and I know I'm going to pay more by getting there rather than ordering online, but the ability of having items in stock and being able to try on different sizes and models before I buy is a valuable service that no online dealer can match. Sure, some online stores will let me ship it back and get a different size at no expense, but that's additional hassle I'd rather not deal with.

This same dealer had a nice Fieldsheer tail bag I was looking at. The dealer wanted $74.99. I considered buying it, but didn't just because the one that was in stock had a stuck zipper. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, I came home and checked out Newenough's website and they had it for $39.99. Even if I had purchased it at the dealer, I still wouldn't have felt slighted by paying more, I got to help them keep their doors open so I can continue to get tires there!

For items like the Power Commander, Exhaust, etc. where the item pretty much is what it is, I'll order online 100% of the time and keep the extra coin in my pocket.

I have no problems buying oil, filters, and some OEM parts from Dealers, but thats the extent. I haven't gone into a dealership yet that I have liked. If I can't get it online for whatever reason, then and only then will I go to the dealer. It has nothing to do with their prices but it has everything to do with their attitude. Maybe 25 years back it was nice to go to the dealer, shoot the breeze, talk shop, and pick up a couple of items, but these days, here in NY, they all suck! You call on the phone and get quoted one price, you get there and it's a different story. Two different employees with two different prices! If you go in looking to buy a bike, they are your best buddies. You buy the bike and go back 3 months later and they don't want to be bothered. Ask me how I know! Customer service is everything to someone looking to buy anything. In my business I treat the guy that comes in to buy a box of screws the same way I treat the guy who comes in and places a $2500.00 dollar delivery order. Thats why they come back over and over again, even in this economy when they could probably save money going to Home Depot. It's all about treating you right which dealers in NY have forgotten. You as a dealer, have to earn the right to stay in business, it's not a gimme. God Bless you that you have found a great dealership. Good luck finding one here in NYC.

I also forgot to mention that if I need a helmet or gear I run over to CycleGear in Edison New Jersey where they treat the customers like gold. It's only just under an hour from my house and just like a dealer, you can try on the gear in the store, watch some cool race videos on the monitors, and talk bikes with the staff. Thats the experience I want to have when I am spending my hard earned dollars.

Last edited:
God Bless you that you have found a great dealership. Good luck finding one here in NYC.

It's been like that since I can remember, once you cross the Hudson something bad happens to the dealers. The treatment is considerably better out here in Morris County.

CycleGear in Edison New Jersey where they treat the customers like gold

You did know that they were giving out $20 coupons at the bike show? The guys in Edison are pretty OK plus they are open on Sunday (when I usually need stuff).

It's been like that since I can remember, once you cross the Hudson something bad happens to the dealers. The treatment is considerably better out here in Morris County.

You did know that they were giving out $20 coupons at the bike show? The guys in Edison are pretty OK plus they are open on Sunday (when I usually need stuff).

You can say that again! There was a Honda Dealer out on Route 46 in Lodi where I bought my son's first XR50 back in 2000. They were great guys, both sales and service. I liked them so much, I brought them two more friends who both bought bikes, a Kawasaki KX230R and a Yamaha PW80. They also were amazed at the service. I haven't been back to them for a while. I wonder if they are still there?

Yeah, I love the CycleGear in Edison. I get out there every chance I get. No, I didn't see them at the show. Darn! I could have used those coupons!

There must be something in the air here in NYC. Not enough trees and green grass I suppose.

You can say that again! There was a Honda Dealer out on Route 46 in Lodi where I bought my son's first XR50 back in 2000. They were great guys, both sales and service. I liked them so much, I brought them two more friends who both bought bikes, a Kawasaki KX230R and a Yamaha PW80. They also were amazed at the service. I haven't been back to them for a while. I wonder if they are still there?

They're still around, but now they're called Bergen Motorsports and they sell all four of the Japanese brands. Haven't been in there for years so I don't know about their customer service.

The other shop in the immediate area is the motorcycle mall in Bellville. I bought a bike from them almost 20 years ago. Not sure how they are now, but I live too far away and these days have been dealing with Trebour and Hanover Power Sports.

I have no problems buying oil, filters, and some OEM parts from Dealers, but thats the extent. I haven't gone into a dealership yet that I have liked. If I can't get it online for whatever reason, then and only then will I go to the dealer. It has nothing to do with their prices but it has everything to do with their attitude. Maybe 25 years back it was nice to go to the dealer, shoot the breeze, talk shop, and pick up a couple of items, but these days, here in NY, they all suck! You call on the phone and get quoted one price, you get there and it's a different story. Two different employees with two different prices! If you go in looking to buy a bike, they are your best buddies. You buy the bike and go back 3 months later and they don't want to be bothered. Ask me how I know! Customer service is everything to someone looking to buy anything. In my business I treat the guy that comes in to buy a box of screws the same way I treat the guy who comes in and places a $2500.00 dollar delivery order. Thats why they come back over and over again, even in this economy when they could probably save money going to Home Depot. It's all about treating you right which dealers in NY have forgotten. You as a dealer, have to earn the right to stay in business, it's not a gimme. God Bless you that you have found a great dealership. Good luck finding one here in NYC.

I also forgot to mention that if I need a helmet or gear I run over to CycleGear in Edison New Jersey where they treat the customers like gold. It's only just under an hour from my house and just like a dealer, you can try on the gear in the store, watch some cool race videos on the monitors, and talk bikes with the staff. Thats the experience I want to have when I am spending my hard earned dollars.

Well Billy are you going for the sale? I might buy another helmet. Or we could go to New Rochelle and get disgusted. LOL.

The other shop in the immediate area is the motorcycle mall in Bellville. I bought a bike from them almost 20 years ago. Not sure how they are now, but I live too far away and these days have been dealing with Trebour and Hanover Power Sports.

Motorcycle Mall is a place to stay away from. Twenty years ago was not too bad, but now forget about it. Only time I go in there is if I need something in an emergency or I want to check out the new bikes. I would certainly never buy a bike from them...

Motorcycle Mall is a place to stay away from. Twenty years ago was not too bad, but now forget about it. Only time I go in there is if I need something in an emergency or I want to check out the new bikes. I would certainly never buy a bike from them...

Just my luck! It's about a half hour closer to me than Edison. Oh well.

Back