Local Harley dealer to carry Triumph

returnrider

I have a Harley dealer a few miles from my house and thought how convenient it would be if they could mount my new tires onto the the fz1. So I called and talked to a guy in the service department and he laughed and said, "No way man, we don't have metric tools in our service department so we couldn't help you." I thought that was a great way to do business and treat potential customers. Now those poor mechanics are going to have to retool now that they will be a Triumph dealer, go figure? :shaking head:

Pretty lame bike shop that wouldn't even have a rudimentary selection of metric tools that one would need to change a tire. But they probably wouldn't have a clue how to adjust the chain since H-D's all use a belt. Wonder if they will hire a new tech or two for the Triumph business or make the H-D mechanics deal with repairs.

Now that about it, no, I want no harley techs touching my baby! Just had to rant a bit, I just get tired of elitist attitudes, be it Harley techs or anyone else!

Local Yamaha Dealer

Sucks, I guess. But better than him saying, "Sure, man, bring it on here" and then using Standard US wrenches.:shame:

A local dealer grew BIG four year ago, also selling Kawi and Suzuki. They put tires on anything, so guess were the HD guys are going? They beat the HD dealers $$ on tires, mounting and tune ups. My neighbor with a 05 Road King Classic said can't go to the HD dealer after his last trip to this Yamaha dealer.

: owned:

Had a similar experience at Oreilly's (Checkers) went in looking for a 12V bulb for my bike and the guy behind the counter says can I help you? I told him I was looking for a bulb for my bike. He said we don't have anything like that for motorcycles here. I found the bulb on my own showed it to him and put it back and left, Never been back to the store. Autozone has a shelf devoted to bikes and usually will help me track something down if they carry it.

That's interesting. We have a HD dealer here in Colorado Springs that also sells BMW. In the fall, they told me that HD corporate was forcing them to sell only HD under the same roof and that they were going to have to move their BMW sales to another location as a result (I was looking at BMWs). They were to be making the move late spring/early summer and likely adding Ducati to make it viable. Assuming that's true, it seems strange that your dealer is adding a new brand.

Ya, not sure why they are adding Triumph, but they have been advertising on local radio. Bad economy might equal bad HD sales? One thing is for sure, would rather have a speed triple than a fat boy!

The Tiger is sweet, a buddy has a bmw gs 650 that is fun to ride, i've always thought and older honda xr650 with a supermoto kit would be a fun project. One of these days, when I have more money ........?

Heck my Aprilia dealer works in HDs, money is money, a customer is a customer.

I will say that Cowboy HD is very good, and took very good care of my Buell. They lead Buell mechanic was very good. I guess it depends on the individual shop.

well in modesto, ca. the hd dealer also owns the yamaha shop under the same roof...just a common building. but all owned by the hd people.

so some hd dealer owners know they need to expand to keep there doors open.
only a small fraction of the total bike owners ride a hd. sell one..or two jap brands..even the brands from the old world and triple the profits.

Kawasaki done a similar thing in Aus, told their dealers they didnt want them selling other brands new under the same roof. Lost sales because you had to travel to other suburbs to compare their bikes. Our main Harley distributor in Vic had dealers selling all the major brands alongside Harleys & is now building seperate stores for the other brands.

I recently have left the triumph community to join you fine folks( i had a sprint st 955) and this was a rumor, but I had heard it about two years ago, and have yet to actually see anything come of it.

only a small fraction of the total bike owners ride a hd. sell one..or two jap brands..even the brands from the old world and triple the profits.

Whaaaaat? Harley has a dominant market share at the moment and their target demographic (40-60) makes up almost 50% of all bikes sold in North America. They are huge business and their sales figures in the good 'ol USA are increasing every year, despite the economy.

It's a business of selling an image and a lifestyle and would be foolish to stock a bunch of silly neon sportbikes next to their 'big man bikes'. Marketing genius at work, no doubt.

returnrider, look on the bright side; least he was honest and knew they didn't have the equipment to work on your bike. I would rather that than bring the bike in only to find out they can't fix it or ruin the bike or worse.

Last edited:
Back