Lividly Pissed.

So the day was going good. Got a decent chunk of change for X-Mas so I decided to put some new rubber on the FZ1. Got a great deal on Pilot Road 2's from Cyclegear. (330 out the door with the tire warranty.) Had the wife following me so she threw the tires in the back of the car and we went over to a local bike shop that does tire mounting. The tech was a good guy and went ahead and adjusted the chain tension (which I know they have to do anyhow) but also lubed my chain with Bel-Ray while it was there. Also, during the safety inspection, he noticed that the rear taillights were not lighting up with the application of the rear break. So he moved the sensor a bit and made this work. Good deal, I was happy. While paying the person at the desk he told me he was going to do the "safety ride" or whatever it is, after they mount tires. I hear the bike wind up a little (loud Two Brothers pipe) then nothing. I thought he just rev'd it up a bit. Nope. The other shop kid comes running in and says, "He just crashed, he's hurt!" I go running out back to see my bike not even 50 feet from the garage door, laying on it's side, and my heart shattered.

The guy riding it has been doing this for SEVERAL years without incident. Freak accident, I guess. She bucked him off and he earned himself a shattered collar bone. Just sucks, she was showroom.

I'm sure she will be again, as the shop is ordering all brand new Yamaha parts and not attempting to just "fix" anything, as I'm staying on top of them.

Also helps that we have a lawyer in the family that worked Accident/Injury cases that specifically dealt with Motorcycles for years.

Here is the pics:
Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Password: Dustin2009

Any advice on things to watch/be weary of?

Dustin, I don't know what to say. It's not even my bike and I was pissed after looking at the photos! Man, is there anything he didn't trash on the right side of the bike?! MY GOD. It sucks that he got hurt, but boy, how much throttle did he grab a hold of!

I gotta say that you have alot of damage to an otherwise perfect bike and you need to make sure that they replace everything with new parts! It's great that you took many clean photos. I'm sorry that it happened to you.

I don't care what service is done to my bike. Nobody, and I mean nobody gets on my bike period. I guess thats my NY mentality. I'll test ride my own bike thank you very much!

I hope that you can get her back to the same condition that she was in. Keep us informed buddy. Sorry!

Holy CRAP! So, did he have any explaination? An excuse? How could he do this?

That is totally heartbreaking knowing that the bike was in such fantastic condition! Sorry it happened and sorry the guy got hurt. I'd really like to know what his reason for this is if he's experienced.

Looks like you've done a good job of documenting the damaged parts. I'd have them remove all the parts you've photographed and then go back with the camera and inspect it even further. At some point, it might be worth it to them to cut you a deal on another one, maybe even a newer one? Being that old, I'm almost sure it would be totaled if an insurance agent added up the parts.

Keep us informed. Really sorry for you though. I know she was to be your pride and joy and now you're stuck without.

As someone who comes from a family owned motorcycle shop.... I can say... WTF?

I NEVER rode a customer's bike unless I absolutely HAD to to diagnose it...

But... we carried a $1,000,000 shop insurance policy that covered everything we worked on (in case it fell off the lift or something stupid) ...

So... on that note.... until the bike is back to 100% ... it belongs to the shop. Don't take it home... leave it at the shop until it is fixed back to 100%. Do not accept anything other than OEM parts... They may try to talk you into aftermarket... that's because they can buy the aftermarket parts through their distributors at a tremendous discount... as tempting as it is to settle for Aftermarket.... don't do it.

:wow: guess he was a cruiser rider....sorry for the misfortune....but bike and hopefully tech will return to their former grace...

don't let them budge an inch,

items to check....
frame
right fork leg
tree

heck.....just do everything.........

unbelievable

WHY would they need to take a bike for a ride for a tire change??? Pure stupidity! When I get new tires I take the wheels off and take them in, that way they can't touch my bike. Seeing this disaster just makes me realize that I have been right to do it. Me I'd tell them that I'd take a 2009 even up for restitution and make them throw on a two brothers pipe. Otherwise my "mental anguish" might get very expensive!:disapproval:

I think this is something for you to take care of, but that would require a police report, and insurance companies... seems like they want to make everything good again - if they're decent folk you wouldn't have to worry about it. All the parts can be replaced - that guy's bone will forever be a reminder.

Such a beautiful Fazer! Sorry that happened. :(

How the heck he scraped the master cylinder, I don't know... did the damn thing flip??

Oh man that totally sucks! I just finished looking at all the pics and on the bright side (if there is one) it seems that the parts that got damaged are "bolt on" parts. Looks like the frame and forks escaped any damage and if he just low-sided it w/o hitting anything there should not be any frame damage. I can also tell you that when you start adding up all those parts it gets expensive and I would be surprised if there isn't somewhere around $1.5-2k worth of damage (parts alone). Insist that they replace everything that was damaged with new Yamaha parts and that you want to see the old parts so this way they can't get away with trying to repaint anything.

I'm sorry that the guy got hurt, but he should have been smarter than to try and use so much throttle on new tires...

Ouch!! I feel for you. I had a guy test ride a Bike I had for sale and he was gone for a long time. So I got in my truck to look for him. I kind of knew him or I would not of let him go. I found him pushing the bike. With the brake lever hanging off the bars and the pipe all scratched. Then he thought he could just give it to me and walk away. It wasn't that bad as he just fell over when coming to a stop. But still. Said something about the rear sets and how he didn't like them. He paid up. But I had to really hound him.
I'm sure that the shop will take care of it. Just look for the unseen stuff, brackets and things like that. It's amasing all the little things that gets touched when laying it over. Trust me I know.:nerd::nerd:

Good luck

Godfreys....thats heart wrenching, all the way around, you them and the kid. I hope you get it back togather soon, that one's going to eat their insurance up for a K or two. Probably greasy tires (new) an slick concrete?.... such a shame......those photos make me shudder....

TimeBombAZ,
take it with philosophy: if you were the guy riding the bike it was worst, since you was the responsible. And you could even have injured yourself: in the worst case you can have a brand new bike, but it is not so easy to have a brand new neck...

If I were you and not totally trusting the shop, I would take the bike to a different shop to be repaired by someone trustworthy. Then I would invoice the bill to the responsible of that bloody mess.

Anyway, have a good luck...

Ok, I'm new here, but not new to riding.
there was no reason at all for him to ride your's or any customers bike just because it he put new tires on it. It takes about 100 miles of riding to have the oil form the tire molds to wear off, so he's just been really lucky so far.
That guys that posted suggestions have it right... go over the bike with a fine tooth comb, take pics of everything that's even scratched, get new Yamaha parts only and make them show you every single part that was taken off the bike.

Oh.... in some states, even a scratch or small dent on the frame will total the bike. (Don't ask!) Frame damage is considered unfixable and not safe to ride anymore..... Just saying if it applies.
good luck.
Mary aka Krashdragon

Back