Little bit of a chatter

waldo877

So when my 01 FZ1 warms up, I feel and hear a little chatter around the 3k RPM mark. I can also feel it when I touch the carbs, as thats where it sounds like its coming from. Seems like its when the carb boots warm up. They are dry cracked, but I don't think they are cracked through, as spraying them doesnt change idle at all. I'd rather not spend the 100 bucks for new ones if I don't have to. But, what could it be? Its driving me nuts and I don't want to ride it if its going to be damaging. Only happens when ambient temps are over 75+.

There is a metal slide that crosses all four carbs and it activates the fuel enrichers (cold start). Some times it will vibrate and make a bit of noise. Locate it and you should find that you can touch it easily while riding. See if the "chatter" stops.

:)

Definitely not something rattling around that I can see.

Could be a valve issue maybe? Only 22k on it though, and it sounds to be a vacuum related thing, only while warmed up. The airbox is tight, carbs are tight. The only thing I notice are some decent cracking in the carb boots. But replacing those seem expensive as well as difficult as its pretty tight in there.

Ok...so I have my new carb joints. I have NO CLUE how to get the old ones off and put the new ones on. Slide the airbox back with the carbs?

Any tutorials or threads on this?

the easiest most direct way, would probably be to unbolt your front motor mounts and lower the front of the engine down,allowing you to unhook your carbs and slide them back. I don't recommend unhooking your throttle cables if you don't have too. They are a real PITA to hook back up. If you need any help PM me.

Heres the front of my engine tipped down a bit, and the carbs removed.

IMAG0613.jpg

Last edited:
So it looks like to do that I need to take off the exhaust, and radiator. I can almost get into there to replace them...but those bolts are tough, so I need to use a tool.

Problem is I can slide the airbox back. but not the carbs. Is there something holding them?

Also, whats the thing coming off the back of the right side of the engine? Its a thing with a couple of bolts. Can I take that off? I cant get my hand in there to loosen the clamp on the middle carb on the right side. After I get that clamp loosened, the carbs should pop off the joints right? Thats the only thing holding the carbs from moving back with the airbox yes?

20120501204019274.jpg

Hours to get to this point. What a bitch. Turns out they WEREN'T cracked on the inside like so many suggested. Oh well... I hope the new ones somehow stop this noise i'm hearing. I also noticed there was no 'seal' on the airbox. Hopefully putting one on will help. Othewise i'm thinking this noise could possibly be a valve issue once the motor is hot?

Won't do it on a 50F day though...

So the boots are in, and the chatter is a LOT less noisy.

Also installed a Yoshi RS-3. I didn't rejet or change any carb settings. Took it for a spin and it runs awesome. This RS-3 has no baffle installed, so it flows even more unlike stock than an RS-3 with a baffle in. My question is...HOW damaging is it to run like this. Its not something that will burn my valves up in 10k miles is it?

It really depends on the mixture and how lean it is. Other people have run un-jetted and been fine- I just gone done doing an ivans kit on my bike because my TBR (which has no baffle, it's just a straight shot) was leaning out my mixture so much I was having overheating issues.

The jet kit does help out a lot with the low end that you lose on the slip on as well- It's not all that difficult to install if you have ever worked on an automotive carb before. Pats page walkthrough is really all you need.

Oh i'm not too worried about it... I just don't want to retake those carbs off...ever. I aw my oil light come on for a second, but im thinking that was unrelated. Its done it before, oddly enough. I don't even notice a low end issue. Still will power wheelie in 2nd if I grab throttle.

Back