List your mods..

I removed the bottom of the airbox and cut out the area of the airbox that has the snorkle in it. This restricts the incoming airflow to reduce intake noise. There is an increase in intake noise (a good sound) but it's not that loud. I replaced the stock airfilter which also has a restrictive mesh screen on it with BMC filter. They are generally considered the best one for this application. I can take some photos in a few days if you need more info.

To optimize this mod with the addition of a good exhaust slip on, you should go to a Power Commander. That way you are assured of a proper fuel air mixture. The O2 sensor and the stock ECU can compensate for some changes in air flow, etc. but the PCIII is the frosting on the cake.

My modifications: None. Bike is factory stock, and will remain that way. I hardly ever buy new bikes. And every time go shopping for another bike I won’t even look at one that has been modified.

Here are my mods that I remember off hand there may be more.

PCIII
BMC Filter
Hacked air box
R1 intake cam
R1 head gasket
Scorpion slip-on
Gutted cat
cycle one off adustable kick stand
Graves frame sliders
Compwerks fender elim
Ebay turn signals
HEL Stainless brake lines
Ebay rim stips
2in lowering link
Forks move up 1 3/4in
Datatool gear indicator
Cooperdogg wind screen
CRG bar end mirrors
Factory yamaha sport scoops
Ivans butterflys
Ivans FCE
AIS blocked
Speedo healer
-1 front sprocket
+2 rear sprocket
Bridgstone bt016 front and rear
209.jpg

Last edited:
My modifications: None. Bike is factory stock, and will remain that way. I hardly ever buy new bikes. And every time go shopping for another bike I won’t even look at one that has been modified.
I may make an exception for the AIS. I can see that all the plumbing from the AIS will make maintenance such as changing plugs much more difficult. So I might remove that system.

New or Collector

I used to feel that way and I have a bike under cover in my garage to prove it. One 1986 FZ 600S. 100% stock, even has the factory rear seat cover.
With my NEW pride and joy, 2008 FZ1 I am doing some modifications, but will keep all the stock pieces should the day come for a collector's restoration. The reason that I bought the FZ was that I loved the way it looked and everything that I read about it's performance. That being said, if something can be improved astetically or performance-wise, then why not? For instance: touring capability greatly improved by addition of Givi bags. Rear visibility improved by LED lights(Addmore lighting) in said bags. Looks improved by Watsen Design flushmounts. Comfort improved with Gel seat (for me anyway) and Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen, (Dark smoke). Function and looks improved with Pazzo Levers (gold with titanium switches). Weight savings and looks (and sound) with the new MIVV GP carbon fiber slip on.

Nothing that was done in anyway detracts from the great looks of the machine and makes it just a little more "My" bike. The next thing will be a K&N filter. and when money allows a Holeshot stainless header and a PCV with ignition module.

Last edited:
.......... but will keep all the stock pieces......

Absolutely!

I considered a 1250 Bandit at one time, but the guy had hack-sawed off the back fender. He also cut the muffler apart to remove baffles, and welded it back together. He thought it looked nice. I thought it looked like s#@t. I like bikes as close to factory stock as possible, but will consider some "resonable" "bolt-on" modifications.

Zero Gravity

Well the windshield came in. And was a breeze putting on. I took the opportunity to fix, (hopefully) the buzzing problem, dicussed many times in the forum. I used small pieces of clear headlight tape to act as a vibration dampner between the "dash" and the fairing, problem solved. I replaced the stock screws with Gold aluminum ones to add a bit of "custom". Added Pazzo Gold shorty levers both sides for looks and clutch adjustability. Watsen Design front flushmounts to clean up the looks of fairing.

Last edited:
Guess I never filled this in. :eek:

I don't have a lot yet... funding has been tight after a 3 bike purchase on the same day! :D

T-Rex Racing frame sliders
Two Brothers Titanium slip-on
AIS Blockoff (not removed yet)
Self-modified FE from the stock parts.
Top Saddlery seats
Tank camera mount
LED Pod running/signal amber lights
Airbox modded
Stock air filter de-screened
SAE power lead fed to the fairing
Cigarette lighter adapter installed
GPR Steering stabilizer

Wish list:
OEM Lower cowl
PC V with Autotune
Modified sub-throttle plates
Replace stock fork oil with 15W
Watsen Flushmount LED signals (front)
Copperdawg Strike seat cowl
Copperdawg Rear blinker fairings
Copperdawg CF FE kit
Zero Gravity smoke touring screen
-1 front sprocket

Please send any donations to my paypal account? ;)

Eric, how much mpg are you getting solely interstate? I think mine has dropped down from 45-46 to 38-40. Not too happy about it. Need to get custom dyno tune it seems. Though Hybrid 3.0 map works the best compared to JD's map I am currently using.

I am getting about 38 - 41 on the highway, at least on the Michigan trip. I've never had more than a 41 mpg tank on the FZ1. But I DO like the extra ponies! :D

Are you saying you had 45 mpg on the FZ1 or comparing to the FZ6? 45 on the 1 is a LOT! :eek: :)

I am getting about 38 - 41 on the highway, at least on the Michigan trip. I've never had more than a 41 mpg tank on the FZ1. But I DO like the extra ponies! :D

Are you saying you had 45 mpg on the FZ1 or comparing to the FZ6? 45 on the 1 is a LOT! :eek: :)

With all my mods I have not gotten any better than 41 MPG and usually average right around 38-40 MPG.

Eric I have hit 51mpg on the 1 on back roads touring (not hard canyon carving as such) all the way in 4-6th gears. That was when I had stock headers and stock STPs and O2 connected (leaner). I am going to reconnect the O2 and see if the mpg improves.

Yosh SS TRC slip on
Gutted header cat
Ivan's sub-throttle plates
PC3 w/ Ivan's E map
Ignition Module
SpeedoHealer
16 T sprocket
Air box mod w/BMC filter
Graves sliders
Graves Fender Eliminator
Motrax bar end mirrors
Cycle-one off mirror block off plates
AIS mod
Stomp Grip tank thingys

Santa is bringing Pazzo shorty's, and a gear indicator

Michelin PP2 CT
Braided Stainless Brake Lines
CRG Shorty Levers
Easton Woods Bend Brs and Clamps
Hyperpro Damper
Puig Shorty Smoke Screen
Superbike Grips
Elka 3 Way Shock
Rizoma Rearsets
Motivation Sliders
PCV
Autotune
Gutted Cat
Mivv Suono Slip-on
Airbox Mod and K&N Filter
FCE (Ivan's)
AIS Block Offs (Ivan's)
Secondary Flies (Ivan's)
Evotech Fender Eliminator
Can't remember anything else right now but more on the way

Soupy's lowering link-Rear lowered 2 inches, front 1 inch; kickstand shortened 1.5 inches, centerstand removed
Yamaha GYRT rear aluminum rear sprocket
Yamaha touring windscreen
Yamaha lower cowl
Powerbronze rear tire hugger, black w/gold inserts
Pazzo levers-long-Gold levers, red tabs
Supertrapp disc only custom exhaust with EXUP functional, AIS plugged, stock air filter with screen removed
Clear Alternatives smoke turn signal lenses
Philips Motovision headlights

The few little mods that i have done since purchasing my bike are as follows ;R&G tail tidy (with slightly smaller No plate painted black on reverse side .), R&G Crash Bobbins and cotton reels for P/Stand , bellypan , Smoked Double bubble fly screen , Fenda extenda ,Black short Pazzo levers , Rubber Ronnie tank protector ,2009 model OE black mirrors , Clear indicator lenses ,Akropovic race can and hanger ( removal of rear footpegs and exup valve and cables ) . Will soon be fitting seat cowl cover ,16 tooth front sprocket with new renthal gold chain and rear sprocket, and possibly black anodised rear sets . Very happy with how it looks and goes and unusual bike where i'm from , people often asking what it is !

Back