license plate question

Why are people so worried about covering up their plates when they take pics? I mean everyone sees it and could snap a pic at any time when driving. They do it on tv to make sure the person shown is anonymous but beyond that I don't get it. What am I missing?

Why are people so worried about covering up their plates when they take pics? I mean everyone sees it and could snap a pic at any time when driving. They do it on tv to make sure the person shown is anonymous but beyond that I don't get it. What am I missing?

In AZ a guy was arrested after posting a video to YT of him going double+ the posted speed limit. He only had video of the dash. I think the concern is that if the authorities continue to increase their powers as a police state that eventually you'll get picked up. I try to edit parts of the video out where I'm speeding (criminally), and figure a 10-20 mph difference is arguable as speedo error which mine keeps checking in between 7-10%

I think it's more about possibly pissing off someone on any forum to the point they will hunt you down and having a license plate number makes it just a little easier.

Case in point.... on TacomaWorld, there was a guy selling some stuff. Another upstanding member bought it, sent the money and never got the product. After trying for weeks to contact the seller (who did not come back on the forum for weeks) he turned to the members asking if anyone knows this guy... is he alive? Is he OK? Is he having troubles and cannot respond? Based on sparse information to include one pic with his plate number, suddenly members had names, aliases, current and prior addresses, names of his kids, where he worked, where his wife worked, where his kids went to school, home phone, cell phone, etc.... They even joked about "a bunch of Tacoma's showing up one night and circling his house."

Eventually the guy came clean. Unsure if he sent the stuff or refunded the guy but it was settled but he was scared sh*tless in the process that so much could be found out with such minute information to go on.

Next is the "Guest" members who stalk forums looking for the next theft target. Give them some information... slip in a thread and say your leaving on vacation.... before you know it, the house is cleaned out and the bike/truck is gone... all because they paid $10 for a background check and got your address from a DMV as they could run your plate.

NOTHING on the internet is private and you can be found/sought out. Based on your IP address alone (visible here on this site) one can easily narrow down an approximate location of where you're currently sitting. Sort of makes hiding the plate a little naive now doesn't it? ;)

Here's just a 10 second pass with my own IP addess:

I've just narrowed my search to Dover, NH with a simple 4 octet code readily available....

attachment.php

Privacy for the most part. I also collect watches and we obscure the serial number of the watch when posting pics of them on the watch forums. There have been instances of crooks using pics posted on line and then claiming to the manufacturer that the watch was stolen so when it eventually turns up at the factory for an overhaul it throws ownership into question. It's a hassle to sort out. Or they use legitimate pics to offer the item for sale on eBay which also causes problems for everyone. These are different than showing your plate on your m/c but it really boils down to security, no sense giving potential crooks any information they can use against you.

I think it's more about possibly pissing off someone on any forum to the point they will hunt you down and having a license plate number makes it just a little easier.

Case in point.... on TacomaWorld, there was a guy selling some stuff. Another upstanding member bought it, sent the money and never got the product. After trying for weeks to contact the seller (who did not come back on the forum for weeks) he turned to the members asking if anyone knows this guy... is he alive? Is he OK? Is he having troubles and cannot respond? Based on sparse information to include one pic with his plate number, suddenly members had names, aliases, current and prior addresses, names of his kids, where he worked, where his wife worked, where his kids went to school, home phone, cell phone, etc.... They even joked about "a bunch of Tacoma's showing up one night and circling his house."

Eventually the guy came clean. Unsure if he sent the stuff or refunded the guy but it was settled but he was scared sh*tless in the process that so much could be found out with such minute information to go on.

Next is the "Guest" members who stalk forums looking for the next theft target. Give them some information... slip in a thread and say your leaving on vacation.... before you know it, the house is cleaned out and the bike/truck is gone... all because they paid $10 for a background check and got your address from a DMV as they could run your plate.

NOTHING on the internet is private and you can be found/sought out. Based on your IP address alone (visible here on this site) one can easily narrow down an approximate location of where you're currently sitting. Sort of makes hiding the plate a little naive now doesn't it? ;)

But realistically all that could be done from snapping a pic of your bike whille you are riding down the road. They get your name and addy, can stalk you on the interwebz and same situation. Crooks are gonna steal your shyte any which way.

But realistically all that could be done from snapping a pic of your bike whille you are riding down the road. They get your name and addy, can stalk you on the interwebz and same situation. Crooks are gonna steal your shyte any which way.

Very true, but my exposure to people on a daily basis is limited. On the internet, it's everyone. Every post and picture here is picked up by Google, Bing, Yahoo, and other spiders.

I trust the people I drive by daily more than the rest of the world. :D . . . . you ain't a stalker, are you? :gagged: ;)

Very true, but my exposure to people on a daily basis is limited. On the internet, it's everyone. Every post and picture here is picked up by Google, Bing, Yahoo, and other spiders.

I trust the people I drive by daily more than the rest of the world. :D . . . . you ain't a stalker, are you? :gagged: ;)

Absolutely. Except I'm going for someones bike with all the mods I want.

I just coverd mine in my Fender eliminator pos because I see everybody else doing it so I figured it was some kind of security reason.....

Honestly I just did it because I have seen everybody else do it... its kind of silly bit there are a lotta shady m-effers out there. Who knows what people do when they are bored on the internet.

Most people on here list all there expensive mods so if your a thief you know what bike you want and where they live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

LOL can you paypal me some money so I got fuel to come get it.

:poke:

I might be there on it next year, well, same state anyway. My best friend from the Army lives in Smith's Creek, not far from Port Huron and we are due to go visit him. That should be close enough that you can afford the gas. :D

I typically don't hide anything on the sites but have posted pics with the plate taken out because I posted it on a site I did not want anyone to see... I don't care who knows where I live so long as they understand I have guns, a sword collection, live next to a graveyard and have plenty of shovels. With all the new graves regularly appearing, it'll take a while to locate a body. ;)

Seriously though, here's my personal opinion...It's a material object and if someone wants it more than me, they can have it. So long as I have insurance and they don't harm me or my family, I don't care about material possessions.

I might be there on it next year, well, same state anyway. My best friend from the Army lives in Smith's Creek, not far from Port Huron and we are due to go visit him. That should be close enough that you can afford the gas. :D

I typically don't hide anything on the sites but have posted pics with the plate taken out because I posted it on a site I did not want anyone to see... I don't care who knows where I live so long as they understand I have guns, a sword collection, live next to a graveyard and have plenty of shovels. With all the new graves regularly appearing, it'll take a while to locate a body. ;)

Seriously though, here's my personal opinion...It's a material object and if someone wants it more than me, they can have it. So long as I have insurance and they don't harm me or my family, I don't care about material possessions.

Well, the exact GPS location you give doesn't leave much to wonder about. :starwars: Just to let you know, I covet almost every mod you have ;)

Back