Let's talk about batteries

Rex D.

I bought my '07 FZ1 one year ago. The owner put a new battery in it to sell as he had let the bike sit for a year and the batt. was no good. I bought the bike with 1800 miles on the odo and now has about 4500. My batt. is letting me down!
I was out for an evening ride with full mesh gear on and stopped for gas. Well, it wouldn't start, very slow crank. Oh, I didn't mention it was, pant, pant, 102 degrees outside!! I've noticed a slow crank on hot re-start at times so it appears my batt. has decided enough is enough and time to roll over and die. My question is, I need some opinions on a replacement battery. I don't mind paying for quality since modern bikes DON'T HAVE KICK STARTERS LIKE THE OLD DAYS, and push starting is out and you tube has a funny vid. of a guy falling over trying a rope tow. How about some personal experiences with batts. including in particular batteries that will last over a year. And yes, I rode the bike all winter and used a Yuasa float type charger.
So my batt. didn't die from bordom...........:frown:

I am looking into the gel type batteries hoping changes from hot and cold arent as hard on those as normal. Since living in ND it can be as cold as -60F to 100F.

I am over 8,000 miles with my original battery. Maybe it is not the battery. Maybe it is not getting charged as you ride? Does it crank over just fine when you disconnect it from your charge and then have problems only while out and about?

I've read a lot about the Shorai batteries and quite a few riders have said they planned on getting one for their next battery, but I have yet to hear the actual performance of one after it has been in use for a year or two. It's alays been my experience that a well tuned machine that doesn't need to do a lot of long cranking will help the battery last a long time. I've always used Yuasa batteries in my power sports machines and they usually last a good four to five years before they poop out. I live in an area where the temps during riding season an be anywhere between 95 F and 30 F depending on whether it's fall, summer, or spring. When I bought my John Deere Compact 870 tractor, it was equiped with an implement Yuasa battery and it lasted 14 years. I thought that was extaordinary but the dealer told me it was quite normal with his experience. Battery technology is getting much better and the prices are also getting higher. For now I'm sticking with the Yuasa brand.

Very unusual for your battery to die like that unless it was a cheap battery and one of the internal cells shorted out or your alternator is not working properly.

I would verify that the alternator is putting out the right voltage. Measure at the battery terminals with the RPM around 5k and you should get at least 14V, if not there may be a charging issue.

My '06 is still using the original battery and I have a little over 9k miles. Always use the battery tender over the Winter and have had no issues so far. Nothing wrong with the OEM Yuasa brand in my book.

I have to agree with users "NJFZ1" & "Hail"; there has to be another problem with the electrical system. I had 2 batteries in my '01...replaced the original after 6 years, no battery tender or charging. I killed the first battery a couple times too, leaving the ignition on and forgetting about it....doing the 2nd gear roll start to get it back up & running.

Check the electrical system for charging issues. Alternator should give the voltage back.

Also, does the bike have any aftermarket electrical accessories? Possibly losing a charge on a bad ground can drain the battery, and make it lose it's integrity for holding a charge.

I think my battery is the original one from '06, bike has 27,000 miles. And that is after my stator failed and my battery was totally flat twice. Once my stator was replaced, the battery was rechaged and works great. I've hadn't ridden my bike in 5 weeks until this past weekend. I pushed the started and it fired right up.

Get a Yamaha service manual and check the trouble shoot follow chart for charging.

Okay, I checked the charging volts @ 3-4000 RPMs and I have 14.55 which is normal. The battery is a Power Source Sealed WPZ14S. I did a search and found this is a sealed AGM and sells for $75-$79. Probably not the best quality battery on the market. I think the seller just got a battery to make the bike run and sell it. I've noticed since I purchased the bike it has a poor crank when hot only. Quite a few times it has barely started, very slow crank like the battery has no guts.
I just did a test of the battery voltage while cranking, 5 times in a row and the voltage crashed to 8.5V (while cranking) and began a slow crank. That confirms the batt. is a junker.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12, it's the higher cranking amps of the two listed (270 CCA) vs 175 CCA with my current battery.
I think that will do the trick. Comes out to $211.26 to my door. It's worth the money for dependable starting. Interesting specs for this battery, it has lithium cells, no acid. It tends to fall short of lead acid (equally comparing CCA to CCA, that is) on cold starts due to higher resistance in cold weather. However where lead acid batteries cranking amps fall off with repeated attempts to start, the lithium cells warm up during cranking, resistance drops and available cranking amps go up. I believe the Tesla roadster uses a form of lithium batteries. Time to move on into the 21st century...........

Back