Let's see some great roads.

The weather finally is looking a little better and spring is bound to be around the corner. I thought it would be a great idea for members around the country, and world for that matter, to list some great rides that others can experience. I'll start with a couple not too far from my home town.
The first is M119 along Lake Michigan from Harbor Springs to Levering. You can continue to Mackinaw City if you want for a beverage or lunch. It's very twisty with parts 25 mph and going any faster may end you up in the trees. The second ride is Alden Hwy. between Mancelona and Rapid City, Michigan. This particular ride not only has a lot of twisty portions, but elevation changes as well. Both of these routes are two-lane roads with minimal traffic so it's easy to have a real blast. If you are in, or come to the northern peninsula of Michigan you have to check them out.

Not too many fun ones here in South Florida. In North Georgia: 1 Hwy 129 from Cleveland to Blairesville. 2. Hwy 197 from Clarkesville to Batesville 3. Hwy 180 from Lark's Gap to Suches 3. Hwy 129 - The Dragon

Headed that way in less than 2 months!! :drools:

Not too many fun ones here in South Florida. In North Georgia: 1 Hwy 129 from Cleveland to Blairesville. 2. Hwy 197 from Clarkesville to Batesville 3. Hwy 180 from Lark's Gap to Suches 3. Hwy 129 - The Dragon

Headed that way in less than 2 months!! :drools:

Ya know.... I'm hosting a Rally here in Boone, NC ... May 15-17th... I can show you roads that will make you forget all about the Dragon...

Ya know.... I'm hosting a Rally here in Boone, NC ... May 15-17th... I can show you roads that will make you forget all about the Dragon...

I would love to. Going with a group to GA. so won't be able to make it back up for the Boone NC rally. I hope you have one next year. Maybe we can plan around it then. This year we have 3 sport bikes cbr600rr, vfr800, FZ1 and four HD. I am sure we will go our different ways a day or two up there.

The best road would be North Carolina-Tennessee's US 129 - The Dragon

Second would be Blue Ridge Parkway around dinner time. No tourists to slow you up.

Third would be the one I just rode this one Sunday in South Florida: Snake road. I was following locals here so can't tell exactly where it is but it runs through a Seminole rezervation and is near Lake Okeechobee.

best road Dragon? I think not. Maybe 8-10 years ago. Now, it's a tourist trap for squids and Harleys. Yes, I'm qualified to comment because I live where the BEST roads are. I'm telling you.. come to my part of NC, I'll show you roads that will make the Dragon a very very faint memory.

I will take your word on it that you have good roads there. That one road is different in the fact you do not have that many turns in such a short distance. Your roads are fun to be on no doubt about it. My personal enjoyment came from running the entire length without stopping at the lookout for picture taking. Just a different ride than I have done in the past. Up here in Delaware we can bump out into the countryside and have some nice views and open roadways with only horse drawn buggies to be concerned with. It is in the eye of the beholder what one prefers isn't it?
We are looking to come down to your region in late May and hopefully you can show us where to ride. Thank you.

I was on some great roads, unfortunately in the car (sic) in the Smokey mountains 3 years back. No idea which ones they were except they were in the National Park. How I wished I had my bike over there at the time:(

This might be a little out of the way for you guys over the pond...but for anyone closer to home thinking of France for their hols..

All of the roads down the Verdon Gorge from Castellaine, down to Lac st Croix. Hairpin after hairpin with 1000 foot drop in many places from the side of the road to the valley below...concentrate!!! A road and a ride I will never forget, four of us 'in the groove', 2 R1s, 1 kwak 636 and 1 cbr6rr using all of their rubber.
The Route Napolean (N85) from Grasse up to Sisteron also in the French Alps. Just f#####g awesome. Avoid the French holidays to have quiet roads, we were there 1 week before the frogs and it was a hoot. Slowing down from 230 kph to turn in to another perfect bend was a bit naughty, but nice.

'I will be back'. In fact I will be very close this year, Austria for more mountain passes:drools:

UK.
For any Southerners heading 'up north' and not familiar with the North of England, then try this:
Join the A689 at Wolsingham heading west (from the A68)
Head to Alston and turn on to the A686. Takes you over Hartside Pass (and the local bikers meet/cafe at the top) and down to Penrith. When you get there turn around and do it again the other way. Very fast in places but also very tight in others. Watch out for police especially from Alson to Penrith section.

Well, it looks to me like there are some good rides out there. My intent wasn't to suggest that any particular ride was better than another, but to get some information out there as to where some great rides are. I like to take off in the summer for a few days, plug in an address on my Garmin and let it take me where it wants. When I get to the destination, I then ask locals for the twisties. From my travels, I've found there are good roads all over the place, but finding them can be tough if you're not familiar with the area. I would add that in many cases a map isn't very good at telling you when you're going to end up on dirt and I try to avoid dirt or gravel roads at all cost.

Being you are in Michigan try going to Marrietta along the Ohio river across from West Virginia. Rode this area last summer and thought it was very cool. All in the country and not too much traffic to deal with. Looking at my map it was from Mansfield to Marrietta. Stayed mainly secondary or tertiary roads along the river/streams. Stay at the Lafayette in Marietta for great moderate priced lodging with excellent food steps away.

va rider: I will look forward to testing that road out. Can you tell the route number? Please and thank you.

Shady Valley Country Store

Google Maps

here ya go... as much as you can tell from a picture......

So... have some video.

Let me know if you ever want to come down this way and play!! I'd be more than happy to be your tour guide!!

Plus, I am hosting a Rally here May 15-17.... so... if you want to come, hang out, meet some fellow FZ riders, just let me know...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCpR9dxfyLM]YouTube - South Side[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VymcSrka_TI]YouTube - Playground[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYIWuh3Xj7s]YouTube - Riding With the SV[/ame]

Indiana boy!

I live here in western Indiana. I have been to the Dragon and surrounding areas about every year for the last ten years. When I want a little shorter ride, I head for Brown County, down by Bloomington. 43, 135, 45,46,446. But, sadly, we are facing the same draconion law enforcement that the Dragon is seeing. 40 and 45 mph top speeds. Come on!! But anyway, off my soap box, if you get to Indiana, try out these roads, a lot of fun. I would like to spend more time in West Virginia, sweet roads. Need to make one more run to the Dragon, can't put a sticker on a bike that hasn't been there, and just got my FZ last month...Bill

Ok, so I'm in Hawaii, The Big Island, and for all about 10 miles the whole island is :drool:

Pretty much a one way highway. Go North towards Hilo, from Hapuna Bay, and it is rolling green hills with gentle turns. Enter the rainforest, and there are 3 sets of turns that one could easily spend some time riding. (about 1 mile each up/down with a fairly long sweeping turn that would have you over if not draggin')

Head South, from Hapuna Bay, and you roll through a bunch more little towns but it is a lot more back to back tight turns through the various climates (11 of 13 of the worlds climates are here)

It is pretty hard not to get lost for al of 6 or so highways are on the island.

It was raining everywhere we went today, so we pretty much got to cruise the entire island.

I've seen a total of 5 sportbikes, one of which was an FZ and the rest have been Hardleys and scooters.

If I could rent one, I'd be on it in a NY Minute and back in under 1/2 a day.

swimming with the fishes in the am and exclaiming while driving there in the cage.

BroHay

Last edited:
Hey, I know there are places out there you can rent a Harley. I know it's not a FZ1 but hey, make the best of it. :thumbup: I rented one in Maui 14 years ago on my honeymoon. It was great.

Hey, I know there are places out there you can rent a Harley. I know it's not a FZ1 but hey, make the best of it. :thumbup: I rented one in Maui 14 years ago on my honeymoon. It was great.

Yeah, I've seen a couple of stores and could probably find a place to rent. But with no gear and the thought of having my feet in a forward position, I'm in a lose/lose situation :(

At least I'll know for next time....

BroHay

This is probably one of my favorite roads when traffic is light. I was screwing around with the camera Wednesday past. I am going to insulate the camera with foam padding to cut down on vibration noise. Also, this was taken with the lens exposed without the waterproof cover. I think they call this the "Goats Trail" up in Bear Mountain.

Make sure to hit the HQ button.......
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q_U7xWjdtI[/ame]

Thanks, I found that merely by accident. I had no idea that the option was available on YouTube. I was just messing around with the balloons. I think it's a pretty cool option. Thanks again. No videos this weekend due to rain unfortunately but I'll have something cool by next Wednesday.

Back