left rear signal staying on

will not flash for left turn nor flash for hazard. the light stays on. the bulb is good!! I verified the fixture blinks (good bulb) inspected wiring without opening looms. no evidence of mice or other critters chewing things up. also, indicator on dash flashes rapidly on left indicator as it should when there's a problen in the system in question. the hazard blinks at normal pace. front lights (both) blinking as the should for hazard. I have gone as far as wiring in rear light DIRECTLY into the front with a temp jumper. but the rear will not flash, just stays on!! while the front will flash. any body have any ideas? do I have a wiring gremlin or a bad wire or a bad relay?

flasher/relay unit

I'm thinking flasher unit can't be the problem as it is only one of four lights that is malfunctioning. remember, only the left rear stays on. I traced back to flasher/relay and it only has two wires. I'm still tracing wiring through out the frame looking for damaged wires but not having any luck. Thanks for your input though. appreciate your interest in my gremlin!!

Last edited:
I'm thinking flasher unit can't be the problem as it is only one of four lights that is malfunctioning. remember, only the left rear stays on. I traced back to flasher/relay and it only has two wires. I'm still tracing wiring through out the frame looking for damaged wires but not having any luck. Thanks for your input though. appreciate your interest in my gremlin!!

Switch the bulbs from left to right first and see if the bulb flashes. If it does, then it's just a bad bulb.

will not flash for left turn nor flash for hazard. the light stays on. the bulb is good!! I verified the fixture blinks (good bulb) inspected wiring without opening looms. no evidence of mice or other critters chewing things up. also, indicator on dash flashes rapidly on left indicator as it should when there's a problen in the system in question. the hazard blinks at normal pace. front lights (both) blinking as the should for hazard. I have gone as far as wiring in rear light DIRECTLY into the front with a temp jumper. but the rear will not flash, just stays on!! while the front will flash. any body have any ideas? do I have a wiring gremlin or a bad wire or a bad relay?

OK. The easiest thing to test with is another turn signal. Swap the rear turn signal wires. Turn on the left signal and see if the right blinks or stays on. If it blinks, you need a new turn signal.

many thanks to all

I solved my problem. I caused it. I bought the bike used with after market rear lights/rear debris deflector eliminator kit. It did not have the licence plate light wired in as the new fixture does not have the light. I wired in the plate light instead of the turn signal!! (dammit) All is working well now and I'm regretting buying it without all the take offs!! The after market rear lights were falling apart and I had bought a better grade to replace the ones it came with. Many thanks to all whom offered advise and to those whom read my post.

Back