led lights connection problem

hi guys,
i just got a pair of led front lights and one pair of load resistors.
question is: how to connect this 2 cable led,s to my 3 cable wires on the bike? also those load resistors have the same color on each cable ( all red)
does it matter wich side of the load resistors goes to the lights and wich goes to the bike? there is no in and out marked!

my bike cable colors on one side is: black,brown and blue
new led,s are black and red

please help anybody!

thanks

I dont remeber the exact color code of the wires, one wire is a common black, one is for your turn signals and the other is for your parking light, You can just hook up black to black and the try the other two one at a time to red to figure out which one is for the turn signal. You should be able to do this on both sides. You will no longer have a running light with the two wire signal. Im not sure if your concerned about that?

The resistor needs to be wired in series with the light to one of the wires, I would wire it to the signal side, but it should work on either side. Instead of using the resistors I would purchase a new blinker relay instead of using the resistors they get very hot when in use. The relays are cheap and provide a cleaner install. You should be able to return the resistors.

Good luck.

Last edited:
load resistor problem

thanks for your quick response,
what did you mean with signal side? the red wire?
i think both wires have to be connected to the resistor.
also i dont need the running lights,
i should have ordered the blinker relay i know, but i got those yesterday
(from china) and i thought i give it a try.
btw where is the blinker relay for the front lights located?
thanks for help

Think of the resistor like a bulb. your signal wire which is hot goes into one side and the ground into the other. There is one blinker relay for the whole bike, it's under the passenger seat. If you are just running leds on the front and have your factory lights in the rear it may be pulling enough amps not to have a problem with the fast flash, would try it without the resistors first.

Last edited:
Easy Fix and less power use

Hi,

Check out the link below:
Novitá Technologies

I just went through this last week.

LED Compatible EP34 is about $12.99 at any auto parts store and you can find it almost anywhere.

Just use in place of your stock relay which is not LED compatible.
The only labor is crimping on compatible terminals to fit the size of the blades on the new relay. At least for my '04 FZ1 where the OEM relay had smaller blades.

+12 from existing wires to Relay Power labelled "E"
Load or Turn Signal Hot to Relay Load labelled "L"
Bike Ground (or as in my case direct to battery Negative), Relay Negative labelled "B"

This wastes much less power then adding resistors back in to draw more prescious current from your battery, and less hassle splicing, soldering etc...

If you want some bling, you can get this pricier unit from CustomLED, Lockhart Philips, etc... which does some animations.

Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

I might do this one for my Ducati.

Apparently their standard DOT blink rate unit will also fit directly to your OEM connector meaning less in the way of labor, but it is a bit more expensive than grafting on the automotive type with new terminals as in my solution.

Good Luck...
:cool:

Remove your oem flash relay located in under the passenger seat.
img3276l.jpg

Then hook up the advanceautoparts cheap 2 prong flash relay.
img3277ob.jpg

And that's it!
img3279wl.jpg

Looks ghetto, but it works like a charm =P

Back