Led indicator resistor install.

Stuuk1

Hi guys/ gals,

So a while back I installed some rear LED's and bought two resistors recently.

The resistor is a 25w - 6.5ohm.

Just wondering exactly how to connect them?

I have a gen 2 fazer. Under the pillion seat on one side I have a yellow wire with a black wire. On the opposite side I have a green wire and a black wire. I'm unsure of which one is the live! A picture of my resistor I will post below...

I'm guessing that I just fit this on to the live side of the circuit and not on the earth?! Only reason I ask is because the resistor has two wires from each end of it...

Cheers!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.217460,0.245300
Member of the 1 litre club...

Ok so tried a few combinations now. Got the multimeter out and found the live which seems to be the black. Put the resistor inline with that cable to the indicator and connected the green to the existing spade lug. Still flashes as quick. Swapped these around, same result.

Then:

Wired all 4 wires to the wiring (if this makes sense) and still the same flash rate, wtf?!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.217276,0.245112

Think of the resistor as split in half one side is Pos one is Neg. Hard to describe. Pos side---Res---Neg side
The wires run in a u turn not straight through the resistor. You will need a resistor for each LED 4 total if you are running 4 LED blinkers. If you have 4 blinkers it's easier just to change the flasher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The left side is you + in/out the right side us your - in/out. The resistor is for 1 blinker only. If all of your blinkers are LEDs you will need a resistor for each, otherwise the flash rate will not be correct. These resistors get really hot so be careful of were you locate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled mine out to see.... the resistors correct the problem by putting a load on the system, like the old bulb did. mine are single wire in at both ends and i put hot in one end and ground into the other. i'm running one for each side only on the tail signals and it corrected the signal on the whole bike, only needed two. These things do get hot so don't put them up against any other wires.

Yamaha FZ1 Forums - International FZ1 Motorcycle Community Forum - Jmcculler662's Album: Random - Picture

Here is mine on the bike. only running one on each side of the tail and was enough load on the system to correct the whole bike. I'm running led front and rear and also have the euro leds installed in the upper corner of the headlight assembly.

jmcculler662-albums-random-picture2199-img-20111029-00075.html

Finally worked it out! Haha

I had connected it in series, now that it's connected in parallel!

The reason I was having trouble is because I thought I was adding resistance to the LED's but the way it needs to be connected seems as though I'm 'tricking' something else in to thinking the resistance is more (as if there is a bulb in the circuit).

Is my theory correct? It works anyway! I tucked the resistors under the metal bracket which holds the rubber seat mount on top, fit perfectly

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.217287,0.245190

yep, you got it. i tried posting a repy with a pic of mine in it but it hasn't showed up in the forum yet. your just adding load to the system. put one on each side of the rear on mine and it corrected the whole bike, running leds front, rear, and have the euro style mounted in the headlights.

Almost everyone who puts LED turn signals on their bike gets the wrong idea about what's happening in the circuit. The LED lights have very high resistance, not low resistance, so the flasher doesn't see a load. The resistor goes in parallel with the load (the light) which allows more current to flow and subsequently the flasher unit then sees the load in propper proportion and works the way it is supposed to with normal incandescent filaments. If the resistors are wired in series, you have not eliminated the high resistance problem. If you thnk of electricity as water going through a pipe, adding LED's to the system is like taking a 2" pipe down to a 1/2 inch pipe, the flow is drastically reduced. If you try to put your resister is series, it's like putting a piece of 2" pipe in between two pieces of 1/2" pipe, you still are only going to get as much flow as the 1/2 inch pipe allows but if it's wired in parallel, it's like having both the 2" pipe and 1/2 inch pipe both flowing. I hope this analogy helps some understand what's going on electrically when LED's are installed in place of normal lapms.

Just be careful about where you put them, when i checked mine this morning to take some pics they had started to melt the insulation on some wires that was touching the resistors, they can get hot. I went ahead and ordered a new flasher relay to correct the problem instead of the resistors. Like to keep my wiring neat and tucked away and you can't really do that with these.

I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow to show what I did, they are perfectly ticked away from any wiring.

I checked hot hot they get and my god they do get hot but only after prolonged periods of time. My riding style is that when at traffic lights I don't sit with them on, only when moving so should never be a problem anyway...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.217316,0.245226

Back