Lazy fuel guage

Is your fuel guage sluggish?
The fuel guage on my '08 takes a long time to adjust to correct fuel level. Recently, my fuel level was at one bar-but not w/ blinking reserve indicator. After a stop, w/ side stand down, and a restart and ride, the reserve blinking indicator started and the miles count down began. It took about 8 miles before the fuel guage adjusted to the actually level; one bar but not reserve.
Frequently, after side stand use, the guage reads one bar low and takes upto 5 mins or more to adjust, increasing fuel level by one bar.

:confused:

Last edited:
Mine is the same.... low tank, side-stand, I get the F-Trip and the standing count, then it will swap to normal fuel operations after a few miles. So, now I always try to sit on the bike and stand it upright before switching on the key.

I'm still annoyed with the stupid cowl in front of the tank. Clearly, the FZ1 tank could have been larger by a gallon but because they wanted to keep the wet weight down, we have to stop for "drinks" more often! :rant: :D

Mine is the same.... low tank, side-stand, I get the F-Trip and the standing count, then it will swap to normal fuel operations after a few miles. So, now I always try to sit on the bike and stand it upright before switching on the key.

I'm still annoyed with the stupid cowl in front of the tank. Clearly, the FZ1 tank could have been larger by a gallon but because they wanted to keep the wet weight down, we have to stop for \"drinks\" more often! :rant: :D

There's always plenty of GenI's available.:poke:

Is your fuel guage sluggish?
The fuel guage on my '08 takes a long time to adjust to correct fuel level. Recently, my fuel level was at one bar-but not w/ blinking reserve indicator. After a stop, w/ side stand down, and a restart and ride, the reserve blinking indicator started and the miles count down began. It took about 8 miles before the fuel guage adjusted to the actually level; one bar but not reserve.
Frequently, after side stand use, the guage reads one bar low and takes upto 5 mins or more to adjust, increasing fuel level by one bar.

:confused:

Yea, I've noticed the same pattern with my '06 so I guess it afflicts all Gen II bikes...

Did anyone also notice that it is totally inaccurate as well? What I mean is this... At half a tank, I have close to 100 miles on the trip meter. The next half a tank is gone in less than 50 miles. If it was accurate, it should read half a tank at 70 - 75 miles, not leave you believing it might be possible to run out 200 miles on the tank. One day, I'll carry a couple quarts of fuel in the tail bag and go run the tank dry and see just how far it really goes. I'll carry because I'm not pushing this beast anywhere! ;)

Did anyone also notice that it is totally inaccurate as well? What I mean is this... At half a tank, I have close to 100 miles on the trip meter. The next half a tank is gone in less than 50 miles. If it was accurate, it should read half a tank at 70 - 75 miles, not leave you believing it might be possible to run out 200 miles on the tank. One day, I'll carry a couple quarts of fuel in the tail bag and go run the tank dry and see just how far it really goes. I'll carry because I'm not pushing this beast anywhere! ;)

In my experience that is typical behavior of fuel gauges in both motorcycles and automobiles. If they made them really accurate then people would run out of gas all the time. The last half of the tank usually goes by quicker so that you stop to fill up before it's really empty.

In my experience that is typical behavior of fuel gauges in both motorcycles and automobiles. If they made them really accurate then people would run out of gas all the time. The last half of the tank usually goes by quicker so that you stop to fill up before it really goes empty.

I agree... the Toyota's in the yard do the same thing but not to the degree of inaccuracy that the bike does. :eek: ;)

To me, it would have just the opposite effect... If it were dead-on, I'd stop when it said to. Now, it's more like.... I know it's not right, so how far can I *really* go. ;)

I drove into the end of my fuel supply last week. I have been riding deeper into the F-trip more and more. I knew I could get 30 miles easy so I just kept going one day. 52 miles before it started to sputter and I exited and made into a gas station before it completely ran out.

The tank is pathetic. Does anyone know officially what amount of fuel is supposed to be left when the F trip (or blinking one bar) comes on?

The tank only held 4.7 gallons after running empty if I remember correctly.

When the fuel is low and you're on the side stand, the fuel float must lower a bit causing the gauge to read lower than the actual fuel level is. You just get used to it. After being upright for a while it's reading correctly. Most bikes/atv's with small tanks seem to have fuel gauge reading problems of one sort or another.

So, total miles... what is the furthest you've gone on a tank?

torquewhore, what was the reading on the trip meter when you sputtered to the station?

Thanks!

Back