KTM question for Oldschool

returnrider

Hey Oldschool, since you are the resident ktm guy could you tell me what you think of the ktm 950 adventure? I found a pretty good deal on one and will probably try and go check it out this weekend.

2004 KTM Adventure 950

Was thinking of upgrading the gen1 but would be fun to have 2 bikes in the garage for less $ than a new aprilia/bmw?

Hope this helps

Hey Oldschool, since you are the resident ktm guy could you tell me what you think of the ktm 950 adventure? I found a pretty good deal on one and will probably try and go check it out this weekend.

2004 KTM Adventure 950

Was thinking of upgrading the gen1 but would be fun to have 2 bikes in the garage for less $ than a new aprilia/bmw?

I looked at the ad and it looks like a decent bike. Mine is a 990 FI version, and I have no experience with the Carbed ones, other than having ridden with a buddy that has one just like that. Considering all the extras, (the racks and luggage are worth a lot) It looks like a good deal. Ask about when the water pump was last done, and if the wheel or swing arm bearings have ever been changed, and if the fuel pump has been changed. Look for any oil leaks down behind the side stand, as it mounts to the engine case and have been known to cause cracks in a crash (where the side stand takes a hit), but don't mistake it for a leak from the gear position sensor "o" ring which is a $0.35 fix. If you buy it consider upgrading the bash plate to a "Weld 86" like mine and either relocated the side stand or put the reinforcement plate from Weld 86, which is what I did.

He has TKC 80s front and back in the pictures. Great tires on and off road but don't expect long life from the rear one (about 4-5000 miles) as the 950 is a powerful bike.

From what I have heard the 950's are a great bike and my buddy loves his. Like all bikes they do have their issues, but there is a huge support system out there and lots of aftermarket supply like CJDesigns for them. If you ride it you will want it! Just don't hate me when you do your first oil change, it gets easier and faster. I can do a complete one in under an hour now.

A 2 bike (or more) garage is the way to go in my opinion.

Links: http://www.weld86motoparts.com/KTM-950-990-ADV.html

http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/

Last edited:
I keep hearing "if you ride it you will buy it!" Thanks for the info, I feel better about going to look at it now. I plan on checking it out Sunday. I will let you know if it ends up sneaking into my garage!

Mileage

20,000 miles is really nothing on these bikes. They have been known to do well over 100 K with few troubles. They are also an easy bike to work on once you get all the fairings, tanks, etc off. I see from the ad the service manual and a shim kit (Harley V-rod shims are a perfect match as well) are included, which is very good to have.

Good to know. I wondered how big a pain the plastics are to get off for some maintenance. If it looks good in person I might have to make a cash offer? Might be a good bike for an Alaska trip my buddy and his friends are planning in the near future?!

No problem

The plastic are very small in reality. The bulk of what you see are actually the fuel tanks. The "fairings" only go from the windshield to the top of the crash bars, everything else is fuel tank. Once you have done it once you will find it easy. The crash bars have to come off first though.

Just click on the above picture and you can get to my 990 specific photo album and scroll through the pictures. They will give you a good idea of some of the guts of the bike.

Last edited:
Damn

Sadly, the 950 was sold before I could get over to see it. I might need someone to come to my emotional rescue?

:jaw drop:

The 950's and 990's will get harder to find as they are no longer in production and are a sought after bike. KTM succeeded in making an icon with the 950, and whether you love them or hate them, there is nothing else like them. They do come up for sale from time to time, but rarely with all those goodies. :shame:

Emotional Rescue, wasn't that a Stones song......

Emotional Rescue - YouTube

Last edited:
Back