Keeping the oil off the pipes?

I did my first oil change today and when I pulled the filter off a few teaspoons of oil dripped onto the pipes and then down into my catch.

How do you avoid that? Do you shove a funnel up in there somewhere?

How can you keep the oil off the headers? Oh, I don't know, maybe lay something over them. rags, aluminum foil, bad music album covers, etc.....

I just put some old cardboard over the headers. It seemed to work. It is a PITA, but the brake cleaner sounds like a good solution if you miss a few drops.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I did my first oil change today and when I pulled the filter off a few teaspoons of oil dripped onto the pipes and then down into my catch.

How do you avoid that? Do you shove a funnel up in there somewhere?

Hi Klurejr, I cut down the sides of a 1 litre plastic icecream container and just push it up between the headers and the filter before I undo the filter and this method can stop the oil getting on the headers and into the collector area.:noworries:

Hi Klurejr, I cut down the sides of a 1 litre plastic icecream container and just push it up between the headers and the filter before I undo the filter and this method can stop the oil getting on the headers and into the collector area.:noworries:

I kinda like this idea, however we don't have 1 liter plastic Ice Cream containers here in the US, that must be a NZ thing.

I don't think it would be the best idea to put anything plastic on the pipes there that could melt and make a mess. But I like the suggestions guys!

I always take a scarificial rag, lay it across the exhaust, then take a sheet of aluminum foil and insert it over top of that and bend the front and rear of the foil into a lip. The oil usually runs down the outsides of the foil, and if you happen to spill a couple of drops, it hits the rag. Once I'm done I slowly pull the foil from one side, same with the rag, and Bingo!, nice clean and dry headers. Works every time. You'll be surprised at how proficient you get after doing it a few times.

I just drap a small piece of aluminum foil over the header

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto! Works like a charm. I add one more step to enrichen my life.
Save said piece of foil, wrap around Mother-Inlaw's potato at next family cookout. Nobody else has a funny tasting spud, why do you always have to complain about everything? HEHEHE!

Ditto! Works like a charm. I add one more step to enrichen my life.
Save said piece of foil, wrap around Mother-Inlaw's potato at next family cookout. Nobody else has a funny tasting spud, why do you always have to complain about everything? HEHEHE!

Hi OldDuffer, thinking about changing from plastic to ali foil, HEHEHE:party0011:

I don't think it would be the best idea to put anything plastic on the pipes there that could melt and make a mess. But I like the suggestions guys!

Don't change it when it's hot. Use those great suggestions (even a 2 liter soda bottle neck?)... pull the oil drain plug, go make a sandwich...eat it...have some sour cream & cheddar potato chips! :drools: ...maybe a nice cold soda pop!... then finish the oil change.

Oh you guys worry to much. I just change it and whatever drips on the headers just burns off as I hold the throttle wide open for minutes in the garage...j/k ;)

Seriously some good suggestions on here, but I have always just taken a rag when I'm done and wiped the headers and around the oil filter and called it a day...

heating brake cleaner

Hey all just an FYI on brake cleaners and solvents. When you heat them up it changes the chemical make up which can give you brain damage. HotRod Mag. had an story on this last year. you think the solvent manufactures would have to put it on the cans but they don't have to yet. Just the same never heat up brake or carb cleaners with a touch after you sprayed them on anything even when dry and if your sparying on your pipes to clean make sure your in a well ventalated area and then go ride to burn off the remainder. Oven cleaner is a great option for getting road grime like tar of your pipes. take care.

Hey all just an FYI on brake cleaners and solvents. When you heat them up it changes the chemical make up which can give you brain damage. HotRod Mag. had an story on this last year. you think the solvent manufactures would have to put it on the cans but they don't have to yet. Just the same never heat up brake or carb cleaners with a touch after you sprayed them on anything even when dry and if your sparying on your pipes to clean make sure your in a well ventalated area and then go ride to burn off the remainder. Oven cleaner is a great option for getting road grime like tar of your pipes. take care.

Interesting info, I will also check out Oven Cleaner.

Back